• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upgrading wife's sled, what do you ladies like?

97exc

Dec 14, 2008
CO
Wife is currently on an 2005 M6 141". She is an intermediate rider, still not very aggressive but slowly increasing the difficulty of terrain she can ride. We ride mostly in Colorado and Wyoming, typical rides consist of some trail on the way to deeper snow, also jumping off trail into meadows and sometimes trees. Snow is typically light and deep, high probability of getting stuck. That is one of the reasons she is hesitant to go far off trail.

So for a newer sled, her only preference is to try to get reverse. She likes the M6 so I could try to just find a newer one, maybe with a 153 track. Or I could give her my M7 153 (but no reverse) which she has ridden, but she likes the M6 better.

Any suggestions on sleds that you ladies have ridden and liked? Price range is probably about $3k-5k so we are looking at 2006-2008 or so for year. We won't have much opportunity to ride and test since we will probably be getting one before the snow flies.

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Wife is currently on an 2005 M6 141". She is an intermediate rider, still not very aggressive but slowly increasing the difficulty of terrain she can ride. We ride mostly in Colorado and Wyoming, typical rides consist of some trail on the way to deeper snow, also jumping off trail into meadows and sometimes trees. Snow is typically light and deep, high probability of getting stuck. That is one of the reasons she is hesitant to go far off trail.

So for a newer sled, her only preference is to try to get reverse. She likes the M6 so I could try to just find a newer one, maybe with a 153 track. Or I could give her my M7 153 (but no reverse) which she has ridden, but she likes the M6 better.

Any suggestions on sleds that you ladies have ridden and liked? Price range is probably about $3k-5k so we are looking at 2006-2008 or so for year. We won't have much opportunity to ride and test since we will probably be getting one before the snow flies.

Something like this would be perfect! They are much lighter and easier for the ladies to handle. I really like my 800 though! :face-icon-small-win

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=36625971&cat=&lpid=&search=polaris%20rmk%20600&ad_cid=6

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Val (5'2" 115 pounds) rides a Pro 800 163.

We also have a 155 for her but she prefers the 163. She can slow down more in the trees and stay on top of the snow. We ride trails as little as possible and break trail from our place n a normal snow year.

She has ridden the 600 and likes it but prefers the 800.

I picked up a Pro with a blown motor for $2500 and another Pro with a slightly kinked tunnel for $1500.

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Val (5'2" 115 pounds) rides a Pro 800 163.

We also have a 155 for her but she prefers the 163. She can slow down more in the trees and stay on top of the snow. We ride trails as little as possible and break trail from our place n a normal snow year.

She has ridden the 600 and likes it but prefers the 800.

I picked up a Pro with a blown motor for $2500 and another Pro with a slightly kinked tunnel for $1500.

There were a TON of the ladies at the Ladies Ride in Halfway, OR that ride 163 track! I was sincerely surprised by this. I have tried a couple times and I must just be too used to the shorter track, but I know many like it! :face-icon-small-hap

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
There were a TON of the ladies at the Ladies Ride in Halfway, OR that ride 163 track! I was sincerely surprised by this. I have tried a couple times and I must just be too used to the shorter track, but I know many like it! :face-icon-small-hap

The other advantage for Val with the 163 is the sled is more "stable" on a steep sidehill-- less likely to wash the track downhill and be kicked straight up. The 155 definitely spins the track up faster, turns slightly tighter when ripping a u turn, people say they are better in the air-- but we aren't much for jumping.

Just banging through (into!) trees and riding the stupid little holes I seem to always look for...

Last edited:

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
The other advantage for Val with the 163 is the sled is more "stable" on a steep sidehill-- less likely to wash the track downhill and be kicked straight up. The 155 definitely spins the track up faster, turns slightly tighter when ripping a u turn, people say they are better in the air-- but we aren't much for jumping.

Just banging through (into!) trees and riding the stupid little holes I seem to always look for...

I love tree riding as well, for me personally though it was easier for me to control the shorter track. The longer track felt bulkier. I know many ladies who agree with yours though!

PS I don't jump my sled so I don't care about that. :face-icon-small-win

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Not to hijack but maybe spur some more discussion. I'm tossing around the idea of getting a sled for my girlfriend. I've pretty well decided on a leftover pro RMK 600 with a 155. She is about 5'10" and fairly new to snowmobiling (Last year was her first full season on one). I'm wanting something that is light for her to toss around and also a long enough track to add some forgiveness to slowing down in the trees. Plus I'm thinking the 600 will be a cheaper initial investment, use less gas and oil, and provide better long term reliability. Am I thinking correct?

Are there any differences between a 2014 and a 2015 besides graphics? I have the option to buy a 2014 from the local dealer or a 2015 from carls for about the same money

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Not to hijack but maybe spur some more discussion. I'm tossing around the idea of getting a sled for my girlfriend. I've pretty well decided on a leftover pro RMK 600 with a 155. She is about 5'10" and fairly new to snowmobiling (Last year was her first full season on one). I'm wanting something that is light for her to toss around and also a long enough track to add some forgiveness to slowing down in the trees. Plus I'm thinking the 600 will be a cheaper initial investment, use less gas and oil, and provide better long term reliability. Am I thinking correct?

Are there any differences between a 2014 and a 2015 besides graphics? I have the option to buy a 2014 from the local dealer or a 2015 from carls for about the same money

I myself prefer the 800, however I never owned a 600 and know ladies that are fine with a 600. I don't believe there are many differences between the 2014 and 2015 but you could call another Polaris dealer and ask them to be sure.

I think anything you get her to ride would be fabulous! When I was a newbie, I don't think I would have noticed those differences right away. It took some experience before I started forming my own opinion on what I prefer.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com

I am 5'10" and started on an 01 600 136. One year later went to a 700 144. Since then I've ridden all sorts of options, however with her height she has some advantage, leverage. A 600 155 would probably be quite easy and fun for her, she might get quite bored with it with in a year (I did) depending on her mentality/ personality, where you ride and WHO you are expecting her to "keep up with".

I don't believe a 600 will use that much less gas and oil. She will need to be more aggressive in the throttle on a 600 than on an 800. (in my experience) 800s and longer tracks give forgiveness in tough situations.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I am 5'10" and started on an 01 600 136. One year later went to a 700 144. Since then I've ridden all sorts of options, however with her height she has some advantage, leverage. A 600 155 would probably be quite easy and fun for her, she might get quite bored with it with in a year (I did) depending on her mentality/ personality, where you ride and WHO you are expecting her to "keep up with".

I don't believe a 600 will use that much less gas and oil. She will need to be more aggressive in the throttle on a 600 than on an 800. (in my experience) 800s and longer tracks give forgiveness in tough situations.

Well I bit the bullet. Bought a brand new 2014 600 PRO 155. I gave 4900 plus two edge sleds and a little tilt deck trailer. Pretty decent deal I would say. Hopefully they will have it together this week so she can see it this weekend. She should be pleasantly surprised...I hope!

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Well I bit the bullet. Bought a brand new 2014 600 PRO 155. I gave 4900 plus two edge sleds and a little tilt deck trailer. Pretty decent deal I would say. Hopefully they will have it together this week so she can see it this weekend. She should be pleasantly surprised...I hope!

Congrats thread hijacker (kidding!)

Super stoked for you both. Really makes me happy when I see other guys buy their wives/girlfriends GREAT sleds. Hate it when I read a post from some guy who is riding a modern sled and his GF is riding a clapped out 15 year old sled-- and not having any fun!

The 600s are neat sleds. She will learn how to pin it riding that sled, and mechanically they are as bullet proof as anything can be in the snowmobile world.

Now she just needs snow-- assuming she has all the right gear-- and handlebar time!!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Congrats thread hijacker (kidding!)

Super stoked for you both. Really makes me happy when I see other guys buy their wives/girlfriends GREAT sleds. Hate it when I read a post from some guy who is riding a modern sled and his GF is riding a clapped out 15 year old sled-- and not having any fun!

The 600s are neat sleds. She will learn how to pin it riding that sled, and mechanically they are as bullet proof as anything can be in the snowmobile world.

Now she just needs snow-- assuming she has all the right gear-- and handlebar time!!

I told her last night that I decided it wasn't a wise decision and she was just gonna have to stay on the edge this year :whistle:

We both are getting upgraded. Neither of us have real fancy gear and she wore an old helmet of mine last year, but I went ahead and upgraded her on that too and bought her a 509 altitude helmet and some 509 goggles as well so she will be tickled with that too.

I think the 600 will be a very good start for her. If she gets comfortable on that and decides she needs more power, we can get her an 800 down the road. She is scared to pin it going up a hill as it is, so I don't think she will need the power but could benefit from the increased maneuverability of the 600. Plus I benefited from the lower initial cost and lower economic inputs lol.

Quick question, should I do the doo cap on the 600 as well, or turn up the oil pump or both? You read about all the problems but most of them automatically refer to the 800 but I can only assume the 600 has the same issue?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
600 Poo engines are solid.
If more people tried a 600 and got off the bigger is better mentality, they would sell a LOT more 600 sleds!
If Doo sold a 600 in a Freeride or X/T3 model, I would be all over them, I rode 440 race sleds converted to mountain for years and kept up just fine in the mountains.
I bought a 600 XRS last year, it is awesome. Almost 100 on the trails in stock form, I get 120-140 miles out of a tank, and it is snappy and a blast to ride!
Rant over. :)
I was thinking of buying wife a 600 Summit holdover myself, just not sure she would use it enough to justify it when she can ride one of mine.
14-15 Polaris Pros didn't change a lot, but there are some small differences and part number changes. Steering post and some steering parts are different geometry, for example. Cannot bolt a 15 post onto an earlier sled, I had two customers try and return the parts.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
600 Poo engines are solid.
If more people tried a 600 and got off the bigger is better mentality, they would sell a LOT more 600 sleds!
If Doo sold a 600 in a Freeride or X/T3 model, I would be all over them, I rode 440 race sleds converted to mountain for years and kept up just fine in the mountains.
I bought a 600 XRS last year, it is awesome. Almost 100 on the trails in stock form, I get 120-140 miles out of a tank, and it is snappy and a blast to ride!
Rant over. :)
I was thinking of buying wife a 600 Summit holdover myself, just not sure she would use it enough to justify it when she can ride one of mine.
14-15 Polaris Pros didn't change a lot, but there are some small differences and part number changes. Steering post and some steering parts are different geometry, for example. Cannot bolt a 15 post onto an earlier sled, I had two customers try and return the parts.

This is exactly what my dealer told me. He said, "You are gonna be disappointed when this 2014 600 155 can keep up with your 2016 800 163". Lol I hope he's joking, if not I might be riding hers and "make" her ride the axys lol.

I think it will likely get left stock unless she wants a can for it. I believe I'll take advantage of the 3 for 2 sale that polaris is having on accessories. What does everybody like for accessories on these? I was thinking a front bumper, a burandt tunnel bag, and another bag...either a dash bag or underseat. Any preference on what to get?

Do the 600s have the quickdrive bolt breaking problem?

Last edited:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I agree with Paul, swap the bolt and never worry about it.

I'd do the Doo oil cap also-- it's $15-- and the oil reservoir sleeve no more warped threads.

Other than that, bags of your choice and let her ride it!

After I asked I figured what the heck and have them on order! Also quick drive bolts for my axys as well.

What bags do you like?

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Oh man guys, I picked it up on Friday and she was coming into town Friday night. I signed the papers tuesday on the sled and had been pushing the dealer to have it ready for me by friday all week. All the while, I'm telling her "I'm sorry but I just don't think it's a wise decision to buy another new sled this year. I just don't think it's in the cards, you're going to have to stay on the edge one more year bla bla bla" tee-hehehe.

So she pulls up Friday night after a long week, being sick most of the week, and a 3 hour drive home. She gets there at about 9 oclock at night and just wants some dinner and bed. So she gets out and mind you I've been excited about her seeing it all week and have it stored in the trailer all ready and waiting. She gets out and I say "Hey you gotta come see my new sled! I just painted the a-arms and it looks sweeeetttt!!!" So obviously she is tired and un-interested... "Reeealllly, it's dark. Can't we look at it tomorrow. How am I gonna even see black a arms in the dark??" I drag her over to the trailer and just keep saying, "trust me, it looks awesome. Just trust me on this, you will absolutely LOVE it" So she trudges across the driveway and I open the back door. She drags her feet up the ramp looking like she would rather kill me than kiss me. She gets to the back of the sleds and it finally dawns on her that it isn't the old edge sitting there, but a brand new 2014 PRO RMK. Her face suddenly changes and her eyes light up and she practically starts jumping up and down saying, "Really??? Are you serious?? Is this a joke right now???" Oh it was perfect! She loved it! So then I let her open her brand new 509 altitude helmet and sinister x5 goggles. Needless to say, she was pretty excited Friday night and has been in a good mood ever since! :face-icon-small-win

This weekend we had to pull them both out because I wanted to "see how they fit backwards in the trailer" Lol. and got some pics while we were at it! And a couple pics from last winter to show what we are coming off of. And yes, there was plenty of stucks that day!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 143
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 98
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg