• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'18 TS ordered, which bike to put it on?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
My 2 cents

WAIT TILL THE FALL TO DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT

Do not bother with oversized tanks. My 09 CRF450R only had a 1.6 gallon tank and I never came close to running out of fuel (had the 3.2 gallon auxiliary tank).

Rumors of an updated YZ450 and RMZ450 plus who knows what else will change. Will Kawi come out with a X version?

I personally don't like the wide ratio gear box in the FX Yamaha. I do like the motor and you can add kick start.

The KTM/Husqvarna have a great motor, but the air forks do not work at all and no kick start. If you go this route, get a set of 4CS forks for snow. Consider going to the lead acid battery as well.

At this point I like the Honda best, as it has kick and electric start plus spring forks. The motor is not as strong as the KTM or Yamaha, but its close.

If the 18 YZ450 gets electric start, that's a legit option.

After having kick only and being around e start only, I learned get both. One or the other is prone to not start. My Honda was miserable to start and I've seen KTMs where you have to jump them every time.

If you want to trail ride/dual sport, the Beta 500 or KTM 500 EXC are good options.

If you motocross then get the MX bike.

If its dedicated to snow I would get an MX/MX based bike.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Glenn and Overdrive, both really great points. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to post your ideas/experience.

I default back to my idea that I may be overthinking this, but at the same time this thread has really helped bring some important things to light. I've contacted PR2 and will post what I find out.

I've got a Beta 430RR right now, and could hold onto it for summer use, or swap it for a 300RR for a really surgical single track bike. My original plan was to have one do it all bike, but life is short and the right tool for the job makes a big difference, so I'm now planning on a dedicated snowbike and a separate summer bike, hence the 300RR (killer machine).

Anyway, I'll contact my TS dealer and see if I can delay my choice until fall. This may be a bit of a learning curve for the snowbike kit manufacturers since upgrading to the latest and greatest snowbike kit may also include an upgraded bike to put it on for a lot of us. Heck, it's only money right? LOL

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
the only thing you are really delaying is the fit kit but, if you chose an oddball, or a high volume kit, there may not be enough of them available at your delivery time. it does suck to have to choose early so choose a fit kit for your best choice now, and if you have to swap it later, you will have to cross that bridge.

Polaris is just trying to get an idea of how many timbersleds to build, and what bike fit kits to build and stock. just good business.

good luck with your choice. Ski

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yup, just got off the phone with my dealer. He reiterated what skidooboy said. I'll give it some real thought and see what I choose.....gotta question into PR2, we'll see what they have available. After reading the reviews on the PR2 ECU, it looks like a "must have".

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I haven't touched the kick starter on my FX in any temperature all winter. I personally would not give up the tall fifth for a close ratio transmission. I find myself pegged in fifth often cruising downhill or thru meadows. I have probably ridden a total of 5 miles of actual trail all season. I prefer to ride tight trees in steep terrain and like to get technical when conditions are good. There is definitely a gap between second and third, but there was a gap between second and third on my close ratio CR 500 also. New honda sounds pretty sweet, but it's just not proven yet. I have 70 hours on snow with my FX without a hiccup.

Last edited:
N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
After riding my first season I'm pretty sure that for me must haves are close ratio, and e start. and to me "Italian princess" isn't on the pro list.

My trans is actually split ratio, it's close for gears 1-4 and 5-6 are wide ratio. This is a great setup because most riding where I'm needing close ratio is covered and yet still have taller gears for cruising if needed. Not sure why they don't do this for all woods bikes it makes tons of sense to me. I love my bike it has all the features you want and none you don't. But, it's older and could shed a few lbs and gain a few ponies. That's the only thing I'd want out of it.

Premium Features