• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MotoTrax Questions and Concerns

M

MotoTrax LLC

Mar 19, 2015
Spokane, WA
moto-trax.com
Greetings,
After reading many of the posts pertaining to our product and company we have deemed it necessary to address the questions and concerns that are arising. We have attempted to address all the questions and concerns, however if there is anything we have missed please bring it up.

Customer Service Department- We take great pride in our customer service and our willingness to take care of our customers, within reason, to the best of our ability. So, it was very frustrating to us to read that some customers have had a poor experience when dealing with our company. After reviewing the comments made we determined that we needed to implement a customer service department. We now have full time staff available to answer all your questions and provide support with any issue you may be experiencing. Our customer service department can be reached at 1-800-378-6957 opt. 1, Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm

Forum Discussion- At this time we do not have the resources to dedicate a full-time person to monitor forum activity. We are very aware that this forum is a valuable avenue for product research and we will attempt to be more proactive with posting new information and responses to questions. Understand that responses may not be immediate, so if you have a question or concern that need immediate attention please contact our customer service department.

Lead times- We admit that we faced multiple setbacks this fall that forced us to continuously postpone delivery dates. We most certainly grew more rapidly than we anticipated and this caused us some major production issues. Our suppliers couldn’t keep up with the demand and we couldn’t keep up with the demand. It took us months to get caught up, there were times we feared we would never get ahead of the demand, but we’re very happy to say that we finally have kits built and in stock. We are down to limited quantities of 120” and 129” kits but we have plenty of 137” kits available. If you order and pay for a kit today it will ship tomorrow. We currently have almost all parts and accessories in stock and if there is something out of stock you will be informed of that upfront.

Warranty- Every customer that purchases a MotoTrax kit receives a 1-year warranty. This warranty only covers manufacture defects of material or workmanship. Damages caused by operator error and/or wear items will not be covered under warranty. Warranty claim solutions are determined at the sole discretion of MotoTrax. The warranty will cover all parts and in cases of extreme failure, MotoTrax may send a technician to conduct the warranty service. Warranty only covers original purchaser and only units Warranty registered with MotoTrax. A warranty transfer is an available option if an ownership change takes place within the 1-year period. An extended warranty is also an available option, please contact our customer service department for more information on warranty transfer/extended warranty.

Return Policy- MotoTrax offers a 30 day return policy for unused, unopened product. The consumer is responsible for all return shipping costs. All returned products are subject to an inspection to ensure the product is in a new and unused condition. This information is available to the public and can be found at the bottom of our website. This is a very standard return policy and we truly feel that it is fair and reasonable.

Research and Design- The 2017 MotoTrax design is a very different design then its predecessor, the Scout XC, so basically it is a first-year design. We tested the prototype of this design all last winter with different riders in as many different conditions as possible. Therefore, the allegations stating that we didn’t test our product are simply not true. We did as much testing as we could with the resources we had available. It is not a reasonable expectation that we as a manufacture can test and recreate every issue that could potentially arise. The best thing we can do is continue to test internally and address any issues that develop with consumer kits. We are working very hard this year to expose any possible issue that our kits could have. Using our race team and our R&D kits we are putting our product to the test so we can develop the most durable kit.

Updated components- We are constantly working to address all issues that arise with any consumer’s MotoTrax kits. If we determine that there is a re-occurring issue, we develop an update to mitigate that issue. These updates are provided to all current customers, free of charge. If you have any question or concerns regarding update components, please contact our customer service department.

MotoTrax Kit Issues and Fixes

Tunnel and Grab Bar Bolts- Customers that received early production model numbers experienced an issue with tunnel and grab bar bolts coming loose. As soon as we became aware of this issue we worked to test different methods of fastening that was more successful. We determined that replacing the 8 grab bar bolts with ¼” stainless steel rivets and applying red Loctite to the remaining tunnel bolts then torqueing those bolts to 8Nm is the most effective solution. Please contact our customer service department for more information.

Rear Slider and Bushing- Customers that received early production model numbers experienced an issue with the two red composite bushings in the rear arm breaking and falling out. The loss of those bushings had the potential to cause track derailment or rear slider breakage. We quickly developed an aluminum bushing to replace those composite bushings. The aluminum bushings are a temporary replacement while we test different bushing material. We have been successfully testing a 1-piece Derlin bushing that will be available at the end of the month. This bushing is way more durable than the original composite bushing and has a much longer wear life than the aluminum bushing. Each customer will receive 1 free Derlin bushing to replace the aluminum bushing, however the Derlin bushings are a wear item and any future replacements will need to be purchased.

There is some question about rear slider breakage. We have had a small number (less than 20) customers experience breakage of the rear slider. This breakage is almost always due to a broken or worn rear slider bushing, however it is possible to break this component if it is tweaked just right. Rear slider breakage due to red composite bushing failure was covered under warranty. Rear slider breakage due to worn aluminum bushing will not be covered under warranty, if you have a worn aluminum bushing that has excessive play please contact our customer service department and we will send you a replacement. Rear slider breakage with a new aluminum or Derlin bushing will be deemed rider error and will not be covered under warranty.

Brake Pins- We have received notification that some customers have experienced a loss of a brake pin. We are aware of this issue and we are currently working on a remedy. If you experience this issue, please contact our customer service department to receive a replacement brake pin. Once you have received a replacement re-insert pin. Once pin is in place make a mark on the pin just past the side of the caliper. Then remove the pin and drill a hole large enough to insert a cotter key. Re-insert the brake pin and insert the cotter key. We recommend all MotoTrax owners take these steps for added safety.

Upper Idler Wheel Center Shaft- Some customers have experienced an issue with the center shaft of the upper idler wheel assembly breaking at the step. We are actively working on a solution to strengthen this point. We are testing the same design with longer bolts and have had success with this remedy. There is some talk of this breakage being caused by the upper idler wheels coming in contact with the swing arm, this is certainly possible IF the suspension is not set up correctly. We will discuss suspension set up further down this post.

Soft Fork Bottoms- It was brought to our attention that some bike brands have soft fork bottoms that could suffer damage from the D-bar used in our ForkSafe ski frame design. We have addressed this issue by developing spacers that are inserted into the bottom of the forks to distribute the force applied by the D-bar evenly. These spacers have been successfully tested on 2015 and 2016 Yamaha’s. These spacers will be sent with the fit kit on all future purchases and are available for free to all current customers. Please contact our customer service department at 1-800-378-6957 to get your free set of spacers.

Rubber Ball Joint Dampers- The is a lot of question about the rubber “seals” that are on either side of the ball joint. These rubber rings are only in place to provide dampening for the side to side pivot, they are not a seal of any kind. The ball joint that we use is an industrial grade, weather resistant ball joint that is way over built for its application and does not require an external seal. We are aware that there is an issue with the rubber dampers working their way over the aluminum flanges that hold them in places and we are working on a solution to that issue. For the time being we recommend warming them up with a heat gun or something comparable and putting them back into place.

Kit Set Up

Ski- Proper ski set up is critical to achieve desirable handling. Inspect your ski set up to verify that the ski frame is centered between the fork tubes and the ski bolt is trailing the axel bolt by ½”. If your ski set up does not meet this criterion or if you have any questions about your ski set up contact our customer service department immediately.

Track- Our kit is designed to operate with your bike balance and your bikes seat height set within an inch of stock seat height. If your bike is not balanced and your seat height is outside of this specification your kit will not have proper handling characteristics. The adjustable strut rod is used to set seat height. When the strut rod is adjusted correctly there should be no more than ¾” of threads exposed on the strut rod adjuster bolt. Contact our customer service department immediately if you have any questions or concerns about the setup of your track.

Adjustments

Track- Track tension should be checked before every ride. It is critical that you use a proper and accurate torque wrench to tighten the rear axle after adjustment, the rear axle needs to be torqued to 100 Nm. The automatic track adjusters set the track tension to 70 lbs. If you prefer to run a tighter track tension or if you don’t have access to a proper and accurate torque wrench, we offer adjustable rear axle bocks as an accessory. If you are interested in these adjustable axle blocks please contact our customer service department.

Suspension- The shocks on our kits come from the factory set up for a 180 lbs. rider. The Fox IFP that comes on our Enduro and Trax.Mountian kit is a softer shock and the Fox RC2 shock that comes with the Trax.Motocross is stiffer. The Fox IFP does not have any adjustability and we DO NOT recommend adjusting pre-load. If you desire a softer or stiffer feel we recommend sending your shock in to be re-valved and purchasing a heavier or lighter spring. Attempting to adjust spring pre-load or having the incorrect spring for your weight can cause breakage issues discussed above. The Fox RC2 has some adjustability, however we recommend consulting a professional for guidance when making those adjustments. If you have any questions concerning suspension set up, please contact our customer service department.

Chain- Primary and secondary chain tension should be checked regularly. A properly adjusted primary and secondary chain should have no more or less than ¼” of slack. A chain that is too loose or too tight can cause premature failure of the sockets and bearings within the drivetrain. Instructions to properly adjust the chains on our kits can be found in the owner’s manual provided with each kit, however if you have any questions at all please contact our customer service department immediately.

Pre-ride Checks

- Ball joint circlips: verify they are in place and seated.
- Track tension
- Chain tension
- Chain alignment
- Grease ball joint and rear slider
- Brake pins
- Skid: check all bolt for looseness
- Ski frame: verify that d-bar is seated properly

Tips and Tricks

Ski performance tricks:
- To achieve a more planted and solid feel in the ski frame you can purchase a ski frame brace kit
- To achieve a more solid feel and enhanced durability you can purchase a billet ski mount
- To achieve a less aggressive ski feel, create a channel to recess the center keel

Track performance tricks:

- To achieve a more planted and solid feel in the skid you can purchase a front yoke
- To achieve tighter track tension you can purchase adjustable axle blocks

Yoke

Durability – The yoke improves the strength and durability of the entire skid by adding a third connecting point to the skid which is designed with only two mounting points. By doing this the rear arm slider had about 30% less load on it from side to side and the rail tips are made much more ridged. This means that if you hit something side hilling or land sideways the risk of breaking the rear slider and/or derailing the track is greatly reduced.

Performance – The yoke also greatly improves the performance of the skid by adding a constant damping force to the side to side pivoting of the skid. This makes the entire skid feel more planted on trails, especially on deceleration and coming out of corners. Additionally, improved side hilling ability by increasing the force required to let the skid fully pivot which improves traction and reduced trenching.

Tip: If you hear or feel any vibrations at all in the skid stop and check all bolts, if you still hear something and all bolts look fine contact our customer service department immediately.
Tip: Do not reduce the spring preload of the shock from its stock setting. Reducing shock pre-load could cause damage, if you need a softer feel in the rear a new spring is needed.
Tip: If you are traveling into the backcountry we recommend carrying a spare upper idler wheel center shaft.
Tip: If you are traveling far into the back country we recommend carrying a spare rear slider.
Tip: We recommend inserting a grease zerk in the rear slider to make greasing easier. Later production model number came from the factory with grease zerks in the rear sider.
Tip: If you have water pooling in you brake cover and sprocket cover you can add holes to the bottom to drain faster, always check them and do not allow water to freeze in the covers.

Again, if you have any questions or concerns of any kind regarding your MotoTrax kit please contact our customer service department at 1-800-378-6957, opt. 1, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm

Last edited:
K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Good post thank you.

I'm still having issues getting mine installed. I have a ticket in but no one reply's to my emails. Its difficult for me to call and talk to "customer service" who doesn't know what I'm even talking about. Its kind of frustrating to call, tell them a problem and what I need, just to have them tell me to wait for an "email ticket" ( which so far has taken about a day each time ). I don't have time for that just take care of me the first time I call you please. I haven't even got my kit installed yet because of problems with the fit kit and the kit itself.

I'm waiting for the correct fit kit ( both strut and front spacers were sent the wrong ones to me .. strut I got taken care of ) and info on what to do about my bulkhead that came welded out of square.

EDIT: I already missed out on one 3 day weekend of riding the crazy pow we are getting, and at this point it might be another weekend because no one is communicating to me. I post here often so obviously if my issues get taken care of people will know about it and there will be videos of me out riding.

Last edited:
S

s.back

Jan 29, 2017
rohnert park, ca.
what do you guys have planned for 2018? its going to take a lot of updated information to get people to buy your kit. I am going to a timber sled demo ride on Saturday and I am going to find out what the 2018 kits will be like. I am going to snow check a kit next month. I have always liked the looks and features your kit has to offer but with all the issues you are having it seems like timber sled is a better buy. what would you say to someone like me who is looking to by a kit.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
One more question, I for sure need a heavier spring before I ride .. I'm 6'6" 235.

Where do I get that? Call up fox? or do you sell them. And what spring should I get. I seem to fluctuate between 200 and 235 ish.. depending on how lazy I'm being lol...currently on the lazy side.

Last edited:
E
Dec 19, 2007
Under track performance tips can you explain what the front yoke is? Does it limit the ball joint side flex? Also I've seen and heard there might be springs for the rear slider to semi couple the skid?

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
If you go on the Moto Trax website and look under the Accessories tab, there is a Racer Upgrade kit that contains the billet ski mount, and also a yoke that mounts to the front of the skid to limit the side-to-side motion. The combo sells for $400.

IMO both are somewhat necessary, so I am installing them on my Enduro for piece of mind and durability...

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I agree. I'm no racer and my ski mount is hamburger at this point. Also, I'm interested in stainless 1/4" rivers for my tunnel, but none of my 3 rivet setting guns will handle a river that size so how would you suggest that I go about that mod? One of the screws is sheared off and one has stripped its threads and will not accept a screw now. So, I need something. If you sent me a loaner rivet tool and rivets and postage paid box I'd send it back or to the next guy. But a rivetter that will handle that size rivet is several hundred dollars.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Check Harbor freight. I don't think a gun that can handle 1/4" stainless rivets is that much. I bought one in Canada for I think it was $60 a few years ago. Maybe I found a deal?

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Last edited:
N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I've got that same one. It's fairly powerful but yeah, I've only run smaller rivets.

I guess it would be neat if they sent me some rivets like they install on the new kits. I don't really have time to track those down locally. ;(

Last edited:
S
Mar 8, 2008
Instead of rivits I drilled mine out and used 3/8 button head screws and all steel lock nuts. No more issues. The 1/4" rivits will not work if your suspenssion is still locking out on the rear slide. All that force transfers somewhere and i bet those side panels are flexing and busting the factory bolts.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Instead of rivits I drilled mine out and used 3/8 button head screws and all steel lock nuts. No more issues. The 1/4" rivits will not work if your suspenssion is still locking out on the rear slide. All that force transfers somewhere and i bet those side panels are flexing and busting the factory bolts.

What did you do on the most rearward bolts that hold the handle? The cross tube makes it blind for a nut.

S
Mar 8, 2008
I put 1/2" steel rods in the bumper legs held in with silicone then drilled and tapped them thru. Also used a lock nut on the end. Made it extremely stiff

H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
I am replacing the top of the tunnel .I have noticed
that the side panels are bowing at the top ahead of the idler wheel axle.
Making the tunnel top strait will relieve the stress the tapper panels are causing also give you a wider area for a useable grab bar.

M

MotoTrax LLC

Mar 19, 2015
Spokane, WA
moto-trax.com
what do you guys have planned for 2018? its going to take a lot of updated information to get people to buy your kit. I am going to a timber sled demo ride on Saturday and I am going to find out what the 2018 kits will be like. I am going to snow check a kit next month. I have always liked the looks and features your kit has to offer but with all the issues you are having it seems like timber sled is a better buy. what would you say to someone like me who is looking to by a kit.

We will be releasing all the details on the 2018 kits in a few weeks, however I can provide information on the durability changes that are being made to those kits.

- We have redesigned the rear slider to be 2x stronger and have removed all square edges to reduce sheer loading. All kits will come from the factory with a derlin bushing and a custom wound heavy spring. I will provide a picture of the spring set up on our R&D bike and provide more info below.

- We have made design changes to the swingarm and there will be additional bumpers added to the shock to prevent the upper idler wheels from being able to make contact with the swingarm. This design change has been developed to mitigate the upper idler wheel spacer breakage that has been experienced by some customers.

- We have redesigned how the brake pins mount to the tunnel by developing a stainless brace that the brake pins are welded to. This assembly is a bolt on component that can be mounted on 2017 kits as well.

- We have redesigned the ball joint dampening system. It is a stronger, more simple design. This design holds the rubber dampers tighter against the ball joint. This does not reduce the degree of pivot, but it does require more load to actuate the pivot giving the kit a more stable feel. Here is a picture of the prototype that is on our R&D bike to give you an idea:

IMG_0395_zpslucppchf.jpg

- All 2018 kits will come with a billet ski mount and rear axle blocks to lock the rear axle in place after adjustment. Here is a picture of the rear axle blocks:

IMG_0400_zpstftnoawn.jpg

All of these durability improvements will be available to 2017 kit owners. We will be posting info concerning that in the coming days, please be patient for that post to come out.

M

MotoTrax LLC

Mar 19, 2015
Spokane, WA
moto-trax.com
One more question, I for sure need a heavier spring before I ride .. I'm 6'6" 235.

Where do I get that? Call up fox? or do you sell them. And what spring should I get. I seem to fluctuate between 200 and 235 ish.. depending on how lazy I'm being lol...currently on the lazy side.

The stock spring rate on our shocks are 350. We have 375 and 450 in stock and available for sale. If you need a spring rate that differs from the ones we have in stock we can get in contact with our Fox rep to get you the right one for you. Contact our customer service department and we will get you taken care of. Please be patient with our new system, it is necessary to guarantee that no customer need get missed. It is a brand new system that we are implementing so bear with us, as our staff gets more comfortable with the system our service will only continue to improve.

M

MotoTrax LLC

Mar 19, 2015
Spokane, WA
moto-trax.com
I've got that same one. It's fairly powerful but yeah, I've only run smaller rivets.

I guess it would be neat if they sent me some rivets like they install on the new kits. I don't really have time to track those down locally. ;(

The rivet we use are a standard size, the pull on the rivet 1/8". We don't use an expensive, fancy rivet gun of any sort. We bought an Astro 1423 13-Inch Heavy Duty Hand Riveter off Amozon for about $30.

We have rivets available that we can send you if you would like. They are the same ones that are currently being used in production. We have been running them on our demo fleets and race team and we have had very good success with them. Contact our customer service department and request the rivet kit.

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
Just my opinion here, but i suggest it is seriously taken as it is for your own good.

The upgraded ball joint spacers, rear slider, track adjusters, and new brake pin setup should be marketed to 2017 customers as a HUGE discount. Honestly even if you lose a little money on them it would be in YOUR BEST INTEREST to upgrade the 2017 kits at a very reduced price.
Don't have to make the pricing public, but if you call in with an existing order number it would be made right. I think we can all agree it would be great if the upgrades were free, but nobody should be paying full price regardless.

Btw the 2018 stuff you outlined in the post is a great improvement and very good to hear. I may be ordering anothter kit next year and this puts mototrax back in the game where it would not have been considered based on this years results

Premium Features