• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon Front Bumper

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S
Nov 29, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Hey, I left my Mod-Stock Magazine at work and I'm trying to find the bumper they are using on their 'Project Puff' sled. Looks really nice, practical (can actually use it to pull the sled out), good protection, and it's actually lighter than the plastic it replaces. Any name for it??

D
Nov 27, 2007
Shaver Lake, CA
Was it the Tri City Polaris Bumper

www.tricityperformance.net
14.jpg

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I put the tri-city bumper on both the wifes dragon and my RMK.
It does take a Litte longer than the 2 hours they say. First one took me about 4 hours. Most of that time was spent, checking, double checking, questioning whether I REALLY want to do this and then finally just going for it.

nose.jpg

After the install.

underhood.jpg

The 08 700 RMK

08-3.jpg

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Do you have to cut your bellypan at all to use this bumper? Looks like you have to drill holes in the bulkhead(no big deal). Can you still use a skid-plate with this bumper?

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Do you have to cut your bellypan at all to use this bumper? Looks like you have to drill holes in the bulkhead(no big deal). Can you still use a skid-plate with this bumper?

Yes, you have to cut the bellypan. Pretty much the bottom half is gone.
You have to drill out the existing plate and install a new one. 3 rivets.

The bumper kit comes with everything you need to do this. Rivets, new belly pan, bumper, shims and a really stout cut plate. The plate is what you use to determine where to cut the belly pan. Works great and is pretty easy to do. Just take it slow and be careful when you do the cuts so as to get it as straight and even as possible.

Any oopsy you do can be pretty well covered up with black RTV.

T
Nov 26, 2007
I dont understand this bumper kick a lot of you are on. The bumper on the dragon will push over small green things no problem. Now if your hitting something that is going to make the sled stop suddenly, where is the energy from impact going? A plastic bumper will help absorb that energy. The metal is going to let your aluminum bulk head absorb it.

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I hesitate to say this, and I am in no way bashing this product. But I wonder if snow will pack behind and above the built in skid plate and add a some weight. I could be very wrong here, I guess I'm just wondering if this will be an issue. We had the plastic A-Arm gaurds on our sleds last year, and they held snow......a BUNCH of snow, up in the shock tower area. Maybe this won't be an issue at at, just wondering.

They do look a lot sturdier than the stock plastic bumper which I broke cleanly in two by tieing the sled down in the trailer with the front bumper and then driving down a bumpy road. And beleive me, replacing the stock front bumper isn't a 10 minute project.

Broke mine pulling the machine out of the back of my pickup. Bumper cliped the tailgate on the way to the ground. wasnt happy, still not happy, sled has a front end that moves up and down when you tug on the bumper.....

Just dont have that kind of cash right now to put one of those bumpers on. I agree the stockers need to be beefier.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I dont understand this bumper kick a lot of you are on. The bumper on the dragon will push over small green things no problem. Now if your hitting something that is going to make the sled stop suddenly, where is the energy from impact going? A plastic bumper will help absorb that energy. The metal is going to let your aluminum bulk head absorb it.

The front bumper on the 07/08 polaris sleds is pitiful. If you are stuck you can't use it to lift with. To quote a factory rep, it's not designed to be used as a lifting or pulling device. I guess it is just there to hold the hood on and look pretty.

There is no metal in the bumper system. THere is no strength in it at all.
You are correct, if you hit something with the tri-city bumper you will transfer it to the bulk head. THe polaris bulkhead is the strongest in the buisness. If you hit something with the tri-city bumper hard enough to damage the bulkhead, you will destroy the entire front of the sled including the pipe and can with the stock bumper on.

As for snow build up. Yea, you will have snow build up in the open space, but I don't think it will really amount to much in the weight catagory. I'll let ya know sunday.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Yaak, MT
Im VERY insterested in this. Please post back ASAP and tell us how it works out Ollie. Kind of alot of money for a bumper, but after dropping 11k for a 800 id like to keep it in one peice. Hit a tree with the stock bumper and it could break alot of stuff, and with the limited production if I break the wrong part I could be screwed for the winter.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Ok, rode is anywhere from 2-3' of wet heavy snow today.
RBsfield.jpg

Snow does pack into the opening, however I didn't notice any difference in handling or how it feels. The amount of snow in my opinion is negligable. A couple pounds. I also didn't notice any difference between my sled with the bumper and the yamaha MM700 we usually ride with.
I did notice I REALLY like being able use the front bumper to pull the sled out and I used it today. Went into an area I shouldn't have been in. Dropped into a hole, the bumper took the hit hard. No damage to the sled, the bumper or anything. Got a really cool wash of snow over the front of the sled.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Broke my stock bumper yesterday when a small tree jumped in front of me! Hardly hit it at all. Wife says I can't have a tri city one, too much $!!!!! It's 390.00 WOWStock is 40.00. Hope I don't hit something really hard! I'll tell her "I told ya so"

M
Nov 27, 2007
Yaak, MT
Broke my stock bumper yesterday when a small tree jumped in front of me! Hardly hit it at all. Wife says I can't have a tri city one, too much $!!!!! It's 390.00 WOWStock is 40.00. Hope I don't hit something really hard! I'll tell her "I told ya so"

I dont think my wife will say a thing about me getting one for my dragon. Last year she loaded her IQ on the trailer to fast, and hit the front of the trailer. It broke the bumper, which in turn shattered every other piece of plastic on the front. It was 200 for the bumper + plastic I replaced, and that was leaving a few things with cracks in them. Think I better just order it so it will be here when my dragon comes in.

Premium Features