• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Wish List / Predictions

M
Jan 21, 2013
I vote for a LT 12.5 wide track with the sx upper shock setup. From my experience so far this year the sx 10.5 wide LT doesn't keep up in the deep as some have said it does. I do want the upper shock and added travel to jump stuff yet get around as good as I do now.

camo323

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Spokane
Chadx- I thought the same thing b4 seeing the sx and st (15's) work on same bikes in waist deep snow. The sx and st where identical on where they would go. The skinny sx doesn't give up anything to the st. I wouldn't have believed it either without being there.
Darren, I am guessing that no one is going back to an st after riding an sx...

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Chadx- I thought the same thing b4 seeing the sx and st (15's) work on same bikes in waist deep snow. The sx and st where identical on where they would go. The skinny sx doesn't give up anything to the st. I wouldn't have believed it either without being there. ...

Good info! Guess I'll have to try and through a leg over one sometime.

I have to say, I'm pretty anxious to see what 2016 will bring!

M
Jan 14, 2004
As awesome as the TS policy of being able to add updates to the older kits has been ultimately it will need to give way to completely new design. I don't see a lot more development going into the current design but rather some kind of hybrid between the UFO and the TS. All that fab work and welding needs to be replaced by CNC and billet if prices are going to stay level. Labor costs have to be huge with the current design. When is the 2016 release date?

M5

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
March, 12th will be the on line launch date and will be able to see for the first time at West Yellowstone EXPO. Date for Expo is March 13th-15th

Allen at Timbersled

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I vote for a LT 12.5 wide track with the sx upper shock setup. From my experience so far this year the sx 10.5 wide LT doesn't keep up in the deep as some have said it does. I do want the upper shock and added travel to jump stuff yet get around as good as I do now.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES!!!!!!

I want to see an ST and an LT option with the third shock. Moreover, I want to see it with an easy access lockout function for those super deep days when the third shock is of less value. The SX can remain as an MX style kit. But I really can't see a downside to having a third shock with lockout other than maybe a bit of weight and price. It would absolutely kick ***!!!!

Also like to see a ski with width to match track (12").

Brake protector..

A little less welded components.

Metric hardware.

Shock options.

JC

1. A parachute so when I go over a cliff the bike and I may live to ride another day.
2. A flame thrower for the odd sledder that p***** me off.
3. Blinking LED lights that you can program to different colours and patterns so search and rescue can find me.
4. A mini cooler/heater that doubles as a BBQ/stove on back of tunnel for lunch breaks.
5. A secret, water tight, hermetically sealed compartment that holds a full roll of toilet paper so I can wipe.....
the tears of the sledders and others that did not buy a Timbersled.
6. One free helicopter extraction per kit if it fails, operator error not included.
And number 7 drum roll please.
7. An auto pilot that will take me back down the 22 mile service road to the truck, because it's dark and I'm knackerd from riding all day!

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
I would tend to disagree with cutting "all models" to 10.5 inch track. For those that prefer a narrower track, the SX is available and the narrow track (and shaped paddle profile) fits it's intent and personality better. A 12.5" wide track fits the ST and LT intent better. Giving up 2" of width is giving up a lot of floatation and would require a lot more spin to keep the same forward momentum and float. Many of us want more floatation and not less.

Losing even an inch off the full length of a track adds up way faster than adding or removing overall length. Look at the surface area differences between a 15" wide and 16" wide snowmobile track of the same lengths. Granted those are longer overall, but removing 2" of width off these snowbike tracks would be a fair percentage of removed footprint which would need to be countered with even longer long tracks. My personal preference would definitely be to keep the 12.5" width rather than needing to go even longer with the track to make up the loss of floatation because then one would have to deal with the issues inherent to going longer and longer.

Freeing up track speed and hp by sacraficing floatation seems counter to the intent of the ST and LT kits in my opinion. Keeping the SX, and perhaps expand that line, for those what want narrower tracks, but keep the 12.5" wide for the ST and LT since they are targeted for deep powder and in powder the tip in difference between the 10.5 and 12.5 is likely an insignificant improvement compared to what we'd lose (floatation). Just adding my opinion to the mix, but then I have not ridden an SX so don't have any first hand knowledge.

It probably largely depends on ones riding style and on the type of snow you ride. The deep powder regions may lean towards wanting to keep the 12.5" plus get even longer, for more flotation, and longer paddles vs. the wetter snow regions, spring riding, and/or those that spend more time on tracks or trails leaning towards a 10" track. So nice that we already have the SX targeting those condistions and the ST/LT for the deeper, softer conditions.

These are not snowmobiles. You can not compare components of each side by side. These bikes are quick and agile on the snow just like they are on the dirt. Keeping the track short helps maintain the dirt bike feel. Thus making it so much fun! Saying the 12.5 wide track is better (floatation/footprint/whatever) than the 10.5 obviously has not ridden the 10.5. I do not know one person who has gone to an SX and wished they had the ST instead. Here in the northwest we get some really deep snow conditions from time to time but for the most part its pretty moderate. comparing the SXLT, ST, and SX all side by side all day (which we did) I think anyone would choose the SX. Yes the SXLT helped blaze trails for everyone on the deepest of days but that's not practical to give up the "dirt bike feel" for those couple weekends out of the season in our area. If you lived in an area where every ride was waist deep the SXLT is perfect and again better than a standard LT.

I hope that Timbersled will incorporate the SX structure on all of their future models.

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
These are not snowmobiles. You can not compare components of each side by side. These bikes are quick and agile on the snow just like they are on the dirt. Keeping the track short helps maintain the dirt bike feel. Thus making it so much fun! Saying the 12.5 wide track is better (floatation/footprint/whatever) than the 10.5 obviously has not ridden the 10.5. I do not know one person who has gone to an SX and wished they had the ST instead. Here in the northwest we get some really deep snow conditions from time to time but for the most part its pretty moderate. comparing the SXLT, ST, and SX all side by side all day (which we did) I think anyone would choose the SX. Yes the SXLT helped blaze trails for everyone on the deepest of days but that's not practical to give up the "dirt bike feel" for those couple weekends out of the season in our area. If you lived in an area where every ride was waist deep the SXLT is perfect and again better than a standard LT.

I hope that Timbersled will incorporate the SX structure on all of their future models.

This sounds just like the debate back in the late 80's about snowmobile long tracks. We felt like the longer tracks might have floated better and worked better in deep fluff, but they took a lot of the maneuverability and fun away from riding a sled. I guess the long tracks finally won out and people decided that the extra flotation was worth the trade-off. I always fell on "shorter is funner" side of things, so I don't think I'll be too quick to switch to an LT.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I had and still have the first SX long track with the ski at 10" and the track at 10.5 it goes through snow easier than a ST and floats better as well. The 10.5 inch track is way superior handling wise to the ST even when it is a 136"

sullcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2009
The yeti track has flex edge technology that helps the bike carve. This in conjunction with the 20 degree outside angled lugs and a substatial weight reduction create a feel that was noticeable in the first 50 yards down the trail. Huge improvement over the. Challenger 2.0 in my opinion. 5 of us rode the max 2.5" last weekend, nobody was complaining. One was a 137" sx. You have to ride it to see for yourself

Can this be completely attributed to the width? What about a 12.5" track with the same profile as the SX kit. The C3 track looks promising but not nearly as rounded as SX kit?

I think most are talking about the 2015 SX kit which does not have a rounded profile on the track, it's a cut-down track from a ST kit.

My experience with a rounded profile track is that they won't hold a steep sidehill in marginal snow, they fall right off the mountain. I haven't had that problem with the straight profiled track on the SX kit this year.

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
- all tracks to be 10.5" width with 2 1/4 paddle

- better fork tube clamps (maybe have some sort of rubber inserts)

- shock options( swap what ever style you want in what ever location you want them)

- a small hole in the chaincase cover with a rubber plug to pop in and out for lubing the chain without taking the whole cover off

- built in gas rack on all models

- some sort of plastic brake housing/enclosure keep the snow off of it

I totally disagree with the thiner track. I've ridden the SX on both a 300 2t and a 450 Yamaha and while it is fun for the fast and quick I still like my ST and LT for the deep deep days where I'm trying to actually go somewhere and not just play around in what i can get to. I read a reply where you said "These are not snowmobiles" to be fair they are not really dirt bikes either. I like the way they feel and ride with the wider track. I feel that going to the SX track would narrow the market to much to only those who are looking for the SX feel. saying they need to be more dirt bike like is not really what every one is looking for. I tell be Snow biking is every thing snowmobiling and dirt biking are not.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Allen and Brett, you guys have your work cut out for ya. Use the bolts that keep the price down. Put a bolted, replaceable, deflector below the chain case for them days the rock grew in the wrong place. Keep the wide track for us ,getting older guys, we ride slower and floatations is key. If you stay with the keyed shafts, put a set screw in the sprokets on top of the key and 1/3 the way around the sprokets. Go back to the full length keys and throw away the bolt lock and donot put a lube hole in the cover!!! If riders don't want to pull there covers to CHECK there Chain tension and lube the chain, well you know. Then there's the weeble wobble. Make it a option, I liked the non-flex arm as it doesn't work the bolts loose. Other than that. Great job.....garry

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
I would like to see Timbersled come out with details and pictures of the sx kit before you have to pay for it next year. The 15 sx is great but I think some people held back since they didn't know what they would be getting. Great product but let people know what to expect. I vote to cut all tracks to 10.5 wide so everyone can enjoy better handling without any sacrifices.

I just want to add that the SX pictures promised in may 2014 by Timbersled on their homepage is still "Image coming soon", so no friggin pics yet. I still have not seen a close up picture of a sx -15 kit. But I also got my kit 3 1/2 months later than TS promised me before ordering also... Just sayin.

Premium Features