• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do not use snow jack on back bar of a TS

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
So after sticking my bike in a hidden tree well. I learned that you do not use a snow jack on the on back of the bike.

I plan on correcting this by bucking rivets to make the tunnel more ridged. By connecting the side rails to to tunnel metal the load will be transferred down towards the spine of the kit

This is after I hammered it down. It was sticking out about 1" - 1.5"

597AD8AB-D40B-45AB-8632-A1EFFA09C78B_zpsidxgxffa.jpg

M
Oct 31, 2013
Or your side rails are bent from running two fuel jugs on back. Then riding a whooped out trail

No, only had the 1.3 gallon mounted when they bent and I had the 1.3 gallon mounted . and I watched it bend when we where jacking. Added the larger tank after they bent and I fixed it. and I also don't ride the trails for more than a few miles to get to the trees.

Edit: I also have the larger tank mounted as forward as possible and the light one in the rear.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Ya it's a pretty shoddy setup.

I glued mine all together. Keeps it a lot more rigid.

Gluing the rails for the fuel tank down really helps.

M
Oct 31, 2013
Ya it's a pretty shoddy setup.

I glued mine all together. Keeps it a lot more rigid.

Gluing the rails for the fuel tank down really helps.

I don't think its a bad setup per say I just think it needs more connections between the tunnel rails and the tunnel sheet. I come from the aviation industry so tend to want to rivet the hell out of things.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I don't think a "snow jack" is a good idea on anything. Sleds and now bikes have tunnels for a functional purpose and it's not a jack. I have seen folded sled tunnels that looked like a "taco shell", even from just a "husky guy" sitting on a tunnel. When a sled , or "bike" get a deep stuck, the entire skid and track become filled with snow and end up so solid they won't even wiggle. I've seen two big guys count to three and heave with all their mite and not even budge it. lol! we've all seen this. It's obvious to me if we use mechanical advantage against the light weight aluminum tunnels, "sled or bike", you are apt to start bending things...

M
Oct 31, 2013
Get yourself a J & M snowbike bumper and be done with it and jack away as needed!

I've seen those but I don't feel like they actually strengthen the entire tunnel just the back 12". The problem stems that the tunnel being 3 separate pieces with only 4 connection points. Don't need to throw more metal at it just brace the existing metal and attach the 3 pieces better. to allow them to enhance each other.

Premium Features