• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How important are good heated grips to you?

B
Jan 23, 2012
Colorado
The standard setup is to run from a battery and has an auto shutdown when voltages get low. This could be an issue on the EFI bikes.
The EFI kit will have a special low voltage switch to prevent any issues.

I'm still not sure what is different about fuel injected bikes. Could you expand a little more on why? Thanks.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Heated grips are nice but not a factor when choosing a bike . Speaking having ridden lots of sleds and bikes with or without. Base your bike decision based on power vs comfort ie electric start and cost vs use ie can you ride it come summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I'm still not sure what is different about fuel injected bikes. Could you expand a little more on why? Thanks.

Its a voltage issue and the programing of the grips, if you use the version that is designed for a bike with a battery on a non battery efi bike, most likely you will see issues with the grips shutting down under certain low power conditions.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
In Stock

We finally have the package together.
you can order the heated grips with a light kits,
or just purchase the grips and switch
here are the grips
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/heated-hand-grips.html

The multi purpose switch for operating a light and the grips at the same time or one at a time, also includes a kill button.
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Handle-bar-switch-multi-function_p_68.html

Here is the 600 series Light with grips and switch
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...ories--Heated-Hand-Grips-and-Switch_p_69.html

300 series will be loaded shortly.

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
The grips turn off at 12.8 volts. I tested my 12'KX450 and it makes 14 volts regardless of the throttle setting. I was thinking it might drop when I twisted the throttle because the fuel pump muggy work more but it didn't change.

That's a nice package off road rider! Pretty much the same thing I put together before you had it available.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
The grips turn off at 12.8 volts. I tested my 12'KX450 and it makes 14 volts regardless of the throttle setting. I was thinking it might drop when I twisted the throttle because the fuel pump muggy work more but it didn't change.

That's a nice package off road rider! Pretty much the same thing I put together before you had it available.

We set up a meter on a bike and where able to lug it down enough to drop below 12.5 V. particularly when also running a light.

C
Dec 1, 2009
So OffRoad rider, if I run these grips with the headlight will it kill the bike, or just stress the stator over time? I do lots of night riding and would like toasty hands with lights. Or would I better to turn off my 610 light and get a cyclops headlamp?

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
So OffRoad rider, if I run these grips with the headlight will it kill the bike, or just stress the stator over time? I do lots of night riding and would like toasty hands with lights. Or would I better to turn off my 610 light and get a cyclops headlamp?

What bike my friend?

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
I think it really depends on the rider. If I work/ride in the cold (which for me is below 40 degrees) it takes about 5 minutes for me to not feel my hands. I must have bad circulation or something. At about 20 degrees it takes about 30 seconds. So they are very important for me. In fact im looking at getting some for early spring and late fall enduro riding. But I pretty sure most people don't have that much of an issue with the cold as I do. With that being said I can do -10 with a light pair of wool socks outside with non insulated boots for an entire work shift and my feet are fine. Really odd but I like warm grips. I think the hand covers work better. But in conjunction with grips its like my heated seat in the car. Could live without it, but sure wouldn't want to.

$140 for grips that work doesn't seem like much. Snowbike kits are soaring over 5k plus a 7k bike. I don't see as grips which offer incredible utility would be an issue for most as long as they work.

Just as an FYI If your hands get cold/fall asleep easily but not any other part of your body, that is usually carpal tunnel. I wear wrist braces at night it really helps a lot.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I can live without these things and be happy.... but I would add them if the stock bike could handle it. Just make me understand how it won't leave me dead in the water when riding 30 miles back in the woods.

The suggestions to monitor system voltage while riding is the best answer. As you turn on and off accessories, you will be able to monitor, and adjust load manually, in real time. You'll have all the info you need to be confident that you are not pulling too much juice.

Trailtech has a nice combo voltage/coolant temp/air temp display that I might try. Those are three things I care about monitoring the most while riding.

T
Dec 10, 2013
……...Even if I could find a new stator I don't see the financial sense in spending $450 on a stator to power a $175 grip warmer. …………...Just make me understand how it won't leave me dead in the water when riding 30 miles back in the woods.

Here's an idea. Buy a Shorai battery that fits your bike, but carry it in your backpack as a spare. If your battery goes dead you can use it as a jumper or switch it out. Its another safety net like a SPOT locator. Shorai didn't list the KX450 but a CR450X battery which is 14 AH weighs only 1.5 lbs and cost $144 or the 9AH weighs 1.3 lbs and cost $104.

I'm putting AME heated grips on a 500EXC. (Thanks Darryl!) Haven't ridden the Timbersled yet, -----> looking forward to it!

Last edited:

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Here's an idea. Buy a Shorai battery that fits your bike, but carry it in your backpack as a spare. .....battery which is 14 AH weighs only 1.5 lbs and cost $144 or the 9AH weighs 1.3 lbs and cost $104.

Another option is the Best Rest jumper cables that weigh 9 ounces and cost $18 ($14 on sale right now). Or make your own. Between monitoring voltage while riding and having these cables with, I feel covered, though having the 1.3 pound lithium battery with would also be a good backup.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Another option is the Best Rest jumper cables that weigh 9 ounces and cost $18 ($14 on sale right now). Or make your own. Between monitoring voltage while riding and having these cables with, I feel covered, though having the 1.3 pound lithium battery with would also be a good backup.

You could build an enclosed battery box and mount it on the TS frame for a spare battery as well. I don't run batteries just thinking out loud. :face-icon-small-coo

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Sorry, its on a 2012 KX450F

I haven't pushed the KX's stator to the limits. After the grips reach their operating temp the voltage does drop to about 20 watts or so. a 50 watt draw on the KX might be pushing it. We'll need to get another one in the shop to know for sure.
when we first did the testing for the lights on an 09 we did see issues at around 45-50 watts of continues draw, a sputter at High RPMs. (Fuel starvation)

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I just installed AME heated grips on my 12 KX450 and they worked great. I am running up to Quebec to test my bike before our Idaho trip in January. I will report after this weekend. The way the lights glow and pulse when they are working is pretty cool. They are the same color as my Koso temp guage.

I also have the Cyclops 610 for lights.

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT

Wow, that's an interesting little unit! Would sure be easier to use jumping a bike or sled than jumper cables. Will be interesting to see how they hold up (since some of the various lithium battery manufacturers seem to still be working out the durability bugs on their lithium batteries). That DirtWheels magazine article was interesting in how many times they could jump start the atv and a pickup. Might be worth having one of these because I could carry it on the snowbike, snowmobile, ATV, sidexside, dirtbike, motorcycles and car/truck. Probably good for a boater, too. Thanks, bfly, for posting!

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
ok, I followed my own advice and ordered a trailtech striker to monitor voltage. It records high and low voltage, too, which will be nice to see. Also got it as a engine temp gauge (I got the one with the 19mm inline temp sender) and it the max temp of the day. Also shows ambient temp. Not sure what, if any, other info I'll use off of it, but when looking at the other separate gauge options, they totaled the same cost.

Will be nice to monitor that voltage under different conditions (load and rpm).
Lot's of different models (with different temp sensors, speed sensors, etc, but this is the one I ordered). Will be interesting to see if there is a way to mount the speed sensor to the brake disc and calibrate it to be even somewhat accurate. Not to worried about it if I can't, though, as the voltage, engine temp, ambient temp, hour meter, trip hour meter, etc are worth it).
http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/striker/striker-kit-71-102-silver

Here are two other units I thought about that report voltage via a single multi-colored LED and also temporarily show conditions while the bike is turned off. Both of these are very slick and don't take up much, if any, dash space since it's only one LED light.

http://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_cvs.html

http://www.signaldynamics.com/heads-up-voltage-monitor/

Premium Features