• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM300XC Build Project

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
the guys with the xc-w's.Have you looked into changing gear ratios while doing a crank rebuild instead of buying another bike?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Excellent thread. I'm really leaning towards a 300XC as well with a Smart Carb. Would love to test ride a 2 stroker though before pulling the trigger. Just road an 2014 ST kitted snow bike for the first time on Saturday (450XCW). I'm SOLD. I was just about to snow check a new Pro, and I'm not going to now. I going to snow check a Mountain Horse kit instead. Long time dirt biker, and sledder and I just found the best combo of sports I've ever tried. I've got a SNONER for sure! I can't believe where I can ride these things. I was pulling insane lines within an hour of getting on the bike. Ridiculous!

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Excellent thread. I'm really leaning towards a 300XC as well with a Smart Carb. Would love to test ride a 2 stroker though before pulling the trigger. Just road an 2014 ST kitted snow bike for the first time on Saturday (450XCW). I'm SOLD. I was just about to snow check a new Pro, and I'm not going to now. I going to snow check a Mountain Horse kit instead. Long time dirt biker, and sledder and I just found the best combo of sports I've ever tried. I've got a SNONER for sure! I can't believe where I can ride these things. I was pulling insane lines within an hour of getting on the bike. Ridiculous!

Welcome to the addiction ,,,it gets worse !!!!!!!

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007

Word of the week! SNONER

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
One of my demo bikes is a 2014 KTM 300 XC with a SX system on it.

So much fun to ride and it is awsome for me in 2' of fresh or less. I weigh 220. And ride it every day I don't ride the Turbo 570 LT. it is so lightweight and flickable. The rear of the track acn spin up and squirt out from underneath you just like a tire. Handling and fun are at the MAX!!!

I do use more fuel in the 300. 5gal. To 4gal compared to a stock 570 ST.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Has anyone used the 5 speed 250 sx gearbox as a base for their 300 build? I have a 250 sx lower end on the bench not getting used and I keep wondering if the tighter ratio 5 speed might shine on the snow. I know most prefer the 450 mx to the wider ration offroad gear boxes. SX boxhas a high first and a low fourth and fifth. I do not like it in the dirt so much but it might be a great mtn horse. Probably still have to use the xc crank and 2k3 ignition for lights/handwarmers/carb heater to function. I believe the 2k3 will not work on an sx crank.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
One of my demo bikes is a 2014 KTM 300 XC with a SX system on it.

So much fun to ride and it is awsome for me in 2' of fresh or less. I weigh 220. And ride it every day I don't ride the Turbo 570 LT. it is so lightweight and flickable. The rear of the track acn spin up and squirt out from underneath you just like a tire. Handling and fun are at the MAX!!!

I do use more fuel in the 300. 5gal. To 4gal compared to a stock 570 ST.

Awesome Toby! Amazing huh? I have never had so much fun as the 300SX on an ST kit. It is sooooo light and aggressive. Congrats!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Does the 300XC/SX have similar overall power to a 450?

The stock 300XC has 50hp. With a SX head, PC exhaust, SX-ECU, and a basic clean up on porting you safely add 5hp so you're looking at 55HP. The 450F's are about the same, a little more. The 450F's you can tractor around easier. The 300 loves to be ridden agressively! WOT and blipping the clutch. Ridden aggressively it is faster as a boondocker. It is a unique pkg. It generates track speed very quickly and is very aggressive. The biggest plus is simply the "fun factor". You won't ride anything more "fun".

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Just make sure you get the xc, not the xcw. The wide ratio makes it difficult to keep the 300 singing in the deep powder or heavy snow.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Just make sure you get the xc, not the xcw. The wide ratio makes it difficult to keep the 300 singing in the deep powder or heavy snow.

Thanks! yes, make sure it's the XC. I've seen folks say they found the limits and boundaries of the "300" as a general statement. They are coming from an XCW with, poor trans, grandma's ECU, stiff exhaust spring, lowered port timing, stock carb "rich" and lazy, etc.... please no offence. It is just a completely different bike. Not even the same ball game. A well built 300XC with the "details" will consistently spank a stock 450F.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I don't like the split... not good for anyone, but this is a Timbersled exclusive custom build project and needs to be located under the Timbersled forum. Thanks Christopher.

Gros Chien

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Qc,Can. & Whistler in the winter
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I am pretty sure that the xc and xcw share the same ecu and head. What are peoples thoughts regarding the sx verse 13 xc ecu? I rode for the first time yesterday with the xc ecu and I think it may be a bit milder than the sx box. What I mean is the sx might stay on the pipe better. We were in 12-18" of fresh cascade concrete, 40 degrees, 6K elevation, high humidity, so those factors sould have been playing against me. If I had time today I would go back with one size smaller main jet and a spare ecu and go do some seriously fun testing. 300 LT owned the hill yesterday though! The motor that Cycle Playground built for me has some serious torque. Feels and sounds like a 500 compared to the stock porting with sx head. IMHO of course!:face-icon-small-win

S

somepunk22

Feb 22, 2008
Looks like the modern XCWs aren't very different from the XCs in the transmission department. So it is really dependent on what year bike you own. MY14 bikes have the same gearing 3-6. First and second are slightly lower on the XCW/TE. I don't think that would be to much of a deal breaker for the new bikes. My '07 XCW is a different story for gearing. It's not ideal, but it shouldn't deter anyone from having a good time on the snow. It hasn't stopped me.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Looks like the modern XCWs aren't very different from the XCs in the transmission department. So it is really dependent on what year bike you own. MY14 bikes have the same gearing 3-6. First and second are slightly lower on the XCW/TE. I don't think that would be to much of a deal breaker for the new bikes. My '07 XCW is a different story for gearing. It's not ideal, but it shouldn't deter anyone from having a good time on the snow. It hasn't stopped me.

if I had to have one bike/snow bike for both seasons - I'd sure prefer a 300 XCW. Our terrain is tight, steep, rocky and nasty the XC would not help. If the gearing is similar now, that would really be nice. Can someone post up the new XCW vs. XC gearing differences? 1st gear doesn't matter for snow much, but it really makes a difference in the dirt!

Premium Features