• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Better than Snowmobile boots

W

window2time

Feb 10, 2012
Bend, Oregon
I am just getting into snowmobiles and have been shopping for gear. So far I have not found snowmobile boots that I love and they don't seem as advanced as what I wore racing motorcycles. Why wouldn't mountaineering boots work for snowmobiling? I want something relatively light and maneuverable. The boots below are about $500 but they seem nice. Please educate me.
boot-M.jpg

A pinnacle of mountaineering footwear! Light, warm, Nepal EVO Gore-Tex boots by La Sportiva are the choice for serious climbs.

Expedition-worthy, 3.2mm silicone impregnated Idro-Perwanger leather uppers offer the finest in natural breathability and waterproof durability
Total waterproof protection and insulating warmth from seam-sealed Gore-Tex® Duratherm® liners
High-rise, Vibram® XSV sticky rubber rands stand up to rock abrasion and crampon wear
Molded heel cups and 3D Flex system at ankles stabilize feet while allowing comfort on long approaches or using French technique
Anatomically shaped for comfort, integrated elastic gaiters help keep out snow and trail debris while keeping in warmth
Roller lacing system, locking D-rings and lace loops allow for effortless on and off even while wearing gloves
EZ OUT pull loops allow quick release of lace locks for easier exit from boots
Padded and ventilated tongues offer a secure, custom fit while relieving pressure from laces
Shock-absorbing polyurethane inserts and air cushioning soak up shock and vibration on rock and ice
HDPE plastic midsoles provide mountaineering stiffness and stay strong in extreme cold while eliminating the weight and chill of a steel shank
The La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX boots feature durable, high-traction Vibram® IBS (Impact Brake System) rubber outsoles deliver reliable traction on wet and dry terrain
Molded heel and toe welt areas allow compatibility with most types of crampons, including strap-on, hybrid and rigid step-in

Please note: La Sportiva products can only be shipped to the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Imported.

Last edited:
J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
I don't wear snowmobile specific boots for riding. I wear a good quality hunting boot. I like the Meindl. Jesse.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I think any boot that keeps your feet warm and dry is fine. Personally I prefer a high upper and so I ride using Baffin Fort Mac's. They're 100% waterproof and go knee-high, and rated to -50°F. My feet stay dry and warm in them. Downside is they're a heavy boot, but I'm used to it.

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
I think they would work fine, Lasportiva makes a very high qualty product I've used their rock climbing shoes for years. The only problem that I see might occur is the sole wearing out quickly from kicking running boards because they use a stickier rubber (Vibram) which is usually less durable than normal boots. If you are ok with paying the price for them I'd go for it, I highly doubt you will be dissapointed.

Jester

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
MotorFist Stomper

While your looking at options, take a look at the MotorFist Stomper boot (if you haven't already). I have had several snowmobile boots before and these are by far the most comfortable boots I have worn while snowmobiling. Warm, good flexibility, comfortable, and good feedback from the sled for the active rider.

Here's a link for you: http://www.motorfist.com/product.php?p=73&c=13

W

window2time

Feb 10, 2012
Bend, Oregon
Thanks everyone, these are all really good comments. The Motorfist Stomper is at the top of my list of snowmobile specific boots as it seems to fit my criteria of being relatively light and agile. But based on the positive feedback here, I am still considering a high-end mountaineering boot. I live in Portland Oregon and Bend Oregon and I can't seem to find any dealers that stock a big selection of high quality snowmobile boots and apparel. There seem to be some great online retailers who carry Motorfist, Klim, etc. but I hesitate to order boots or other clothing items without trying them on.

Jester, I heard that the Motorfist boots fit small for the size? I normally wear a 10.5 street shoe. The Motorfist boots are only available in full sizes (not half sizes) and some people have said they run a full size small. I am guessing I should order an 11 with this boot???

Thanks everyone for all the good advice and comments.
Scott

W

window2time

Feb 10, 2012
Bend, Oregon
Good comment about the hooks--I never thought about them tearing the seat. The boot pictured above only has hooks above the ankle which should be covered by my gear and hopefully protect the seat?
Scott

I've found that boots with hooks for the laces will rip your seat.......learned that the hard way.

J

joered21

Aug 29, 2009
springville utah
Jester, I heard that the Motorfist boots fit small for the size? I normally wear a 10.5 street shoe. The Motorfist boots are only available in full sizes (not half sizes) and some people have said they run a full size small. I am guessing I should order an 11 with this boot???

Thanks everyone for all the good advice and comments.
Scott

I normally wear a 10.5 to an 11 in a street shoe and I bought a size 12 in the Stomper and it is about too small. But they are a very very nice boot. Feet haven't been cold or wet once this season. Great at wicking moisture and very manuverable!

Jester

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
Sizing

The Stomper has been know to fit small, but they do come with a 1/2 size insert similar to my alpine stars moto boot that allows you to take the size down by placing the insert under the footbed. I wear an 10.5 - 11 and have an 11 in the Stomper and it fits good on me. I hope you have the same experience. There is a dealer in Bend, Cascade Motorsports, you might call to see if they have your size so you could try them on.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I thought my Stompers would be tight.

Wanted a 1/2 bigger, but they don't come in that. So...I tried on a full size larger. They were the right width, but length was too long.

So I kept the original size. Glad I did.
They fit so perfect after a couple hundred miles....they LOOSENED UP!!! I might even put the insert in there now.

C
Nov 29, 2008
a lot of folks here use Dunlop or Baffin Ice Bear "rubbers" ... good to -40 / -50 and if you ride in conditions where you may encounter water / slush they keep your feet dry (no wet left foot syndrome) plus if you end up in a river / bog and fill them full of water you can pull em off and empty them out and carry on with relatively dry feet. They are pretty comfortable and wear well.

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
While your looking at options, take a look at the MotorFist Stomper boot (if you haven't already). I have had several snowmobile boots before and these are by far the most comfortable boots I have worn while snowmobiling. Warm, good flexibility, comfortable, and good feedback from the sled for the active rider.

Here's a link for you: http://www.motorfist.com/product.php?p=73&c=13

X2 on that

D
Nov 27, 2007
I prefer a good python or rattlesnake skin chit kicker. Ten times better for clearing those nasty ice build ups on the running boards! Give it a good kick while yelling Yee-Haaa!

St_Or_Bl_Pyth-741474.gif

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Think you're gonna want to pass on the moutaineering boot. Those will have an extremely stiff sole, and they are not particularly light or agile. The best part about my mountaineering boots is taking them off... They serve a very specific purpose. Save yourself a few hundred bucks and get some good gore-tex hunting boots, the motorfists, or the Klims.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Get one with a good sturdy rubber on the bottom. Seems like it only takes a season to blow through a pair of treads by cleaning out snow on any of the new rails. I think my klim boots have lasted the longest as far as the tread holding up but the loops where my laces go through always seem to fray or rip.

Nice job on the Rat Killer's there Duke....

D
Nov 27, 2007
I had Klims and they sucked... heavy as hell. I had HMKs and they sucked too... came apart in one season. Now I have some K2 Maysis snowboard boots. Nice and light and are holding up well so far. They have internal wire lacing so nothing hanging out to snag and break. Buy these!

maysis-boot.jpg

Premium Features