• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spending the night? Got Shelter?

J

jbsleds

Feb 15, 2009
Idaho
Here’s a suggestion for an emergency blanket that will give you the kind of protection you’ll need if you end up spending the night out. They are usually referred to as “emergency all weather blankets”. They are 4 layer laminate. They are very different from those flimsy little silver “space blankets”.

Here’s a product description from one I found on-line: “Originally developed for NASA, the (product name) All Weather Blanket is warmer than wool. It retains 80% of radiated body heat, preventing hypothermia and providing unsurpassed protection in sub-zero temperatures. Features: Warmer than wool Incredibly durable Multi-ply laminated construction makes it the perfect safety blanket Tear and puncture resistant Can be used for emergency signaling Made of a four-ply laminate of clear polyethylene film, a precise vacuum deposition of pure aluminum, a special reinforcing fabric and a layer of colored polyethylene film Item Specifications: Dimensions: 60"(152 cm) x 84"(214cm) Weight: 12 ounces (340 g)”

They fold up and fit nicely in the bottom of your backpack. Most have grommets. Some have hoods.

Every one of our packs has one. I also carry them hunting or hiking. Our old jeep has a couple in the supply kit.

Do a search for “emergency all weather blanket” and pick the one you like.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I really feel like if you're honestly going to spend the night, you want a bivvy sack/ bag style. I can't imagine spending the night with just a blanket?

I use one of these

adventure_medical_thermo_lite_2_bivy_p5__4.jpg

I'd be curious how that would compare to what is obviously a better material, but in blanket form.

Actually, in reading about this particular bivvy, it's made of a 4 ply material that is very different from a simple "space blanket", so perhaps this is closer than I thought to the same construction.

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I carry 2-3 space blankets and the exact bivvy sack you posted Kaleb. I'll lay on 1-2 space blankets and get in the bivvy sack and then put the last space blanket over me.

I did though buy the bivvy sack at REI, so now I must be shot...

J

jbsleds

Feb 15, 2009
Idaho
Thanks to you both for the info on the bivy sack. I can see that the sturdier emergency blanket and a bivy sack is a great combination. I'm ordering the bivy sacks this weekend.

My original reason for submitting this suggestion was my concern that many people are going out with only those flimsy "space blankets" for shelter.
They're pretty worthless for that in my opinion. So, getting people to think about something more functional is good. Thanks again!

J

jbsleds

Feb 15, 2009
Idaho
And one more thought

You can use the blankets to make a tent, windbreak or liner/roof for a snowpit if that's the way you decide to spend the night. And they're a pretty good groundcloth if you need to do some work on the sled on a ride.

Anyone have any other suggestions for emergency shelter?

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
Anyone have any other suggestions for emergency shelter?

A treewell makes a decent ready-made shelter if you're near any trees. The high sides of the snow around the trunk will block wind, and the tree branches will block snow. Downside is you can be hard to see (for rescuers) so you need to leave some sort of signal that is visible up higher.

J

jbsleds

Feb 15, 2009
Idaho
A treewell makes a decent ready-made shelter if you're near any trees.

Yes, they do make good shelters.

In fact, I spent some time in one last Saturday. Fortunately, I had two good sized son-in-laws along to pull me and my sled out! :face-icon-small-blu

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
Good call on heavier blanket / bivy. Would make things much more comfortable overnight.

Shelter ... Dig snow pit. Cover opening above with branches, pine/fir boughs with space blanket intertwined. Sleeping surface.. thick bed of pine/fir boughs to prevent body heat transfer into snow. Same for fire... Build base under fire to prevent it burning down into snowpack.

Last edited:
M

MVR

Feb 17, 2008
Twisp, WA
These are all great options. Anyone who has pulls their flimsy little space blanket out in heavy wind will find that they blow to pieces. The heavy tarps are excellent as well as the bivy shown above.

Something else to consider having in your kit is an additional layer of clothing that will provide insulation. We keep a synthetic down pullover in a stuff sack in the bottom of our packs (with the space tarp and bivy). This added insulation weighs practically nothing and stuffs down to a bit bigger than a softball. You can pull it out for the unexpected overnighter or for those times you are spending a little more time sitting still than your normal gear can handle. In a bad situation it gives peace of mind when you put it on and instantly start to get warmer.

A Black Diamond Mega light makes a nice shelter too and fits in the seat compartment (of an M8 anyway). It is a very light and packable Silnylon tent without a floor (packs about the size of two softballs). It's got a single carbon fiber pole in the center. Sleeps 3 or 4. Dig a hole in the snow the same size as the foot print and about a foot deep. Secure the tent in the hole then throw the tarps and bivys inside and you have a very comfortable little shelter. Rain, snow, or wind...bring it on!

Whatever option you choose to use in your survival kit, it's important to practice with it so it's familiar to you. And don't just practice in your yard when the weather is nice. Pull it out in the mountains in the wind and foul weather. There are a lot of variables that we don't realize are issues that come up when in a realistic environment...how do I keep my rear warm?, should I have a fire? will it make me warm or wet?, where can I get out of the wind? where will searchers look for me? can I drink the creek water? did I already eat all my food? Better to have actual experience with survival techniques rather than just theorize about them. Compare the overnighter to an avalanche accident...we don't want to have theorized about beacon searching right? We want to have rock solid skills for the best outcome. Practice getting cold, wet and hungry so you can develop a good cure ;)

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Great info MVR...as always!!

We have been talking about spending the night intentionally 1/4 mile from the snowpark. This way, if we discover we are not as prepared as we thought, we are only 1/4 mile away.

One thing I added last year was an empty Progresso soup can. Filled with fuel it will burn like a candle for 3+ hrs (tested). This was added after attempting to start a fire in wind blown, ice covered trees. I decided the amount of energy expended to start and keep a fire burning overnight was not practical...especially if there was an injury or medical situation thrown into the mix.

Great thread.

M

MVR

Feb 17, 2008
Twisp, WA
Great info MVR...as always!!

We have been talking about spending the night intentionally 1/4 mile from the snowpark. This way, if we discover we are not as prepared as we thought, we are only 1/4 mile away.

One thing I added last year was an empty Progresso soup can. Filled with fuel it will burn like a candle for 3+ hrs (tested). This was added after attempting to start a fire in wind blown, ice covered trees. I decided the amount of energy expended to start and keep a fire burning overnight was not practical...especially if there was an injury or medical situation thrown into the mix.

Great thread.

Yes, when testing your kit it's definitely good to give yourself an out in case you have to scream and run away :)

The candle and soup can is a great idea.

Last edited:

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
One thing those mylar space blankets are good for is a heat reflector.

Once you get your fire going and a nice bed of pine boughs to keep you up off the snow, set up your space blanket like a steep lean-to on the other side of the fire. It needs to be set back about 10 feet so the heat from your fire doesn't melt it.

With any sort of wearable shelter/bag you carry to protect you from the cold remember to minimize your contact with the snow. Digging down to bare ground is best but not always an option. A pine bough bed is usually a more readily available option, but make sure the snow is packed down first and the bed is at least 18" thick. More is definitely better.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
saftey

i have had several blankets, our group now all have the blizzard survival blanket, its similar but it expands to trap air for added thermal insulation, i picked a few up on ebay, check them out, they are very strong, some of them even have gromets inthe corners,

giddyup

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I really feel like if you're honestly going to spend the night, you want a bivvy sack/ bag style. I can't imagine spending the night with just a blanket?

I use one of these

adventure_medical_thermo_lite_2_bivy_p5__4.jpg

I'd be curious how that would compare to what is obviously a better material, but in blanket form.

Actually, in reading about this particular bivvy, it's made of a 4 ply material that is very different from a simple "space blanket", so perhaps this is closer than I thought to the same construction.

I have two space blankets in backpack, and carry bivy sack on the sled....

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
The Fourth Wolf is 100% correct. Minimize your contact with the snow and use pine boughs.

Also:
-Learn how to start a fire and have a couple of fire starting sources.
-Be prepared to spend the night out on every ride. No one ever plans their accidents or break downs, unless your name is Bear Grylls.
-Make a conscious effort to be found. What many people do to survive a night out makes it very hard to find them. Run orange flagging though the trees or hang an LED strobe light from a tree. If you hear searchers, start the snowmobile and keep it running. It's much easier to find someone with a light source.

Mike Duffy

Avalanche1.com
Avalanche education for mountain riders.

Premium Features