• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

INTERMITTENT SPARK PROBLEM

N
Mar 20, 2006
UP STATE NY
This one has be stumpped. Have spark for a while then its gone??
Pulled teather off still low spark?
Unhooked key switch still have a flicker of spark every now and then?
Unplugged kill switch still have a low spark?
Anybody ever here of anything like this before?

Any help in this matter is welcome, thanks

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Not to state the obvious, but I assume the plugs are new... A failing stator will produce unreliable spark, especially when it gets hot.

Stay off the Old Forge trails on the weekends... Good luck

This one has be stumpped. Have spark for a while then its gone??
Pulled teather off still low spark?
Unhooked key switch still have a flicker of spark every now and then?
Unplugged kill switch still have a low spark?
Anybody ever here of anything like this before?

Any help in this matter is welcome, thanks

N
Mar 20, 2006
UP STATE NY
Not to state the obvious, but I assume the plugs are new... A failing stator will produce unreliable spark, especially when it gets hot.

Stay off the Old Forge trails on the weekends... Good luck

I had the same problem with the pro x 440 motor that was in it, i put a 500 in it and back to same problem.

Would a bad stator still give you spark with the key off and tether pulled out?? Yes on the plugs. thankx

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Guess I didn't understand your issue. So you're saying you get spark with key "off" or the tether out? Check the connections on the brown wires that come out of the back of the key switch. Your tether stubs into theses as well (pigtails). Cleanup the rust in these connections with something like emery cloth and a good solvent (WD-40, etc.)... Good luck.

I had the same problem with the pro x 440 motor that was in it, i put a 500 in it and back to same problem.

Would a bad stator still give you spark with the key off and tether pulled out?? Yes on the plugs. thankx

N
Mar 20, 2006
UP STATE NY
Guess I didn't understand your issue. So you're saying you get spark with key "off" or the tether out? Check the connections on the brown wires that come out of the back of the key switch. Your tether stubs into theses as well (pigtails). Cleanup the rust in these connections with something like emery cloth and a good solvent (WD-40, etc.)... Good luck.

OK THANK YOU , WILL DO.

N
Mar 20, 2006
UP STATE NY
Brown wires that came out of the back of key switch had no rust, just factory greese on it. Did find two brown wires grounded down by the regulator, cleaned them up and still had low spark with key switch unplugged, tether out, and kill switch unplugged?

I know sombody out there went through this.
Maybe i need to post this in a different section.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Additionally I have seen a similar scenario caused by a bad CDI. If you have access to another one, put it on there and see what happens.

Else, I still believe that you have a grounding issue, that's why you still have spark when the switch is off and the tether unplugged. FYI I had a tether fail last year due to corrosion inside the tether switch itself. It's possible that the tether is shot and the key switch has issues internally or it's been wired wrong to the switch or you have a wire that's been rubbed through or..... I'd unplug the tether from the pigtails and focus on the grounds to the switch. It's gonna take a little digging...

Good luck

Elec Sche 1.png Elec Sche 2.png

N
Mar 20, 2006
UP STATE NY
Major breakthrough last night, poo dealer shed a little light on the subject..
One thing i dident know is the prox and xc use a different wire harness, even though every thing plugged in ok.

Next on the 500 cdi box there is a yellow/red wire pig tail by itself, ( stays unconnected )

I used this yellow / red wire to connect to the regulator like it was wired in on the 440 motor. Thats where i went wrong! and back fed the system. Once it was unplugged along with the handwarmer switch it ran fine.(must be a bad switch) So i created most of my own problem.

Thankx again for help on this Pro x 500 project.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Good deal. Sounds like an interesting project you have going there. That 500 should work nice. In 500' they pull almost dead nuts with a 600. We have both of them and it's been verified :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features