• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode the new 2011 PRO-RMK today, awesome!!!!!!

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Spent a couple hours on the new 2011 RMK today in Island Park, what a sled!!! Polaris really got it right with this one. Very nimble but predictable. Very little guess work where the sled would take you on either assent or descent. When riding my IQ I sometimes questioned what the outcome would be when you hit a dip or trench. Chassis glues itself to the trail and handles the bumps unlike anything else I have rode. Motor has a noticeable torque difference and very responsive. And yes the sled is and feels much lighter. I did however find 2 problems with the sled, 1. I will have to figure out a way to get my cooker on it, and 2. I have to convince mama that I need one of these. I plan on working overtime to accomplish both of these.

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Motor issues are a definite concern for many Dragon owners, myself included. But with that said I think the issues have been resolved with this motor. It just seems to be a totally different animal than the previous. But yes previous post has the right to be concerned.

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
Do they have the production EPA compliance mapping in them that the consumers will be getting next year, or one that works? Jesse.

V
May 13, 2008
Victor, ID
It seems to be a better sled...

I rode the new sled in Island Park also, maybe in the same group as you. This is a different sled for sure. To look at it, it looks just like the photos on the polaris web site. The running boards have bigger holes to get rid of the snow better. When your sitting on the sled, the fit and finish is so much more contoured for your knees, meaning that your not slamming into anything. It also helps when your corning, which by the way they redesigned the foot stirups. To me it felt like the older chasis where you could lean into a corner and hook your foot for leverage without dropping your opposite knee to the running boards as some may have to with the current IQ. I felt like the shocks were better than the older WE that came on sled before, (but I run Zbroz shocks so I am bias to those). I believe the trail ride is better as it seemed to soak up bumps with the coil over. The front shocks are adjustable to your style. Power felt about the same as the previous sleds as we had some 2010 to ride and compare to. The reps couldn't talk about the motor as they said they have to wait till the dealer shows. The clutching seems a bit soft to me, but this is relative as I like an arm yanking pull all the way though. The can is said to be lighter that reminded me of a oversized kidney. The brake comes through the chaincase. The air box is now contained as far as I could tell. The light adjustment is not part of the air box as it was before injesting snow in it. The track is the same track as last year. The snow flap is ported... the rear bumper is a carbon fiber with billet mounting arms. The front bumper is a different bumper. The motor sits in an A frame type sit up (similar to another sled). The bulk head is all cast aluminum that is split and it bolts together and bolts to the rest of the tunnel. The one thing of concern is how the shock mounts to the cast bulkhead. It could be an issue to replace half the bulkhead if the shock mount broke from the cast. There is a new gauge, key position is by the gauge, taillight, and headlight. There is not really a hood that pops up. There are a couple of screws to undo and the "top hood cover" lifts off. They were unsure of warrantys as the question was asked. In my opinion, the sled was easier to side hill, layover, carve, jump (we found a few good kickers out of sight), and handling was predictable as mentioned. I wish we could have found some good hills to climb for some of us that live on the slopes rather than the rolling hills we were on yesterday. We need to really tax the motor and clutching to see what it will react to in the steep and deep. All in All I was impressed with the sled and the direction it is being taken. Now to see what warranties are going to be like...?

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Do they have the production EPA compliance mapping in them that the consumers will be getting next year, or one that works? Jesse.

I rode the 2011 today as well. My buddy point blank asked the polaris tech if the fuel map on the sleds we tested and the production sleds are the same. He said that they were "close". Take that any way you want. I was pretty impressed with the sled overall however. I thought the handling was amazing, and it had good power for a stock sled. Shocks and suspension are far better than the previous years models imo. Clutching did feel soft to me, the sled I rode pulled about 8100-8200 rpms most of the time. I have been one of the people who has battled an 800 dragon for a while before I have got it to run well, so I was pretty skeptical when we rode the new ones. I think with just a few small tweaks, the new ones are going to be fun sleds to ride. Kudos to Polaris for letting some folks ride them before they were released. They did seem genuinely interested in what we had to say, and took a couple of notes after our ride. I guess time will tell if the new RMK's hold up, but I don't think I would have any problems pulling the trigger on one if I was in the market.

I

INKEDRIDER

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 24, 2009
does anyone know track lengths and if the steering is different than the dragon

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Most all questions have been answered that has been asked. As stated they could not talk at all about the motor. The only track length that was a guarantee to be available was the 155. But they also said when asked about different motors, track length's etc., we were told we would not be dissapointed. All these particulars would be addressed at the dealers meeting in Las Vegas in March. Fuel mapping is a concern for me as well.

Nov 29, 2007
SW, MT

That was exactly my comment to my dealer after they were telling me how great they are after riding them last week in Seeley. I am sure they do run fine, as since they are prototypes i am sure they do not have to run their fuel maps through epa, but it will be a whole different story when it comes to production!! Buyer beware!! I would love to think they have these ones figured out (coming from a very frustrated 2010 D8 owner), but i would definately not be their first guinea pig!

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Does the new model come with anti-ratchet drivers? One of the last things to be addressed by Polaris, they are always a year or two behind!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Does the new model come with anti-ratchet drivers? One of the last things to be addressed by Polaris, they are always a year or two behind!

Considering Jack Struthers feelings on this, and his heavy influence at Poo, I would doubt it. But I'm with ya; would love to see them.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Me too, actually I've done it now!

Ron,
Your clutching should work great on these sleds, they have the same clutch as the 09's and 10's. That was about the only thing I could find that I thought could use some improvement. The suspension and handling are top notch. Trail manners are almost unbelievable. The snow we rode in wasn't very deep, so I have no idea how they handle in deeper snow. Very easy sled to sidehill on as well. They hold a straight line without any effort and will turn on a dime if you want it to. Another nice thing is the sled is very flickable without being too tippy. IF the mapping on the production sleds is close to what we rode on Sunday, there could be some happy people out there. Hopefully they will be durable also. I guess time will tell.

Premium Features