• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many miles do you get on your 800

How many miles did you get on your 800 before having major motor issues?

• Total voters
A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I had my chaincase go at about 350 miles
EGT at about 700
Chaincase again at 750
Primary Clutch at 1100
Numerous other problems I probably have forgotten about
Crossing fingers and hoping the bleeding has stopped.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Yep - I'm ready to buy a new sled and keeping the green in my pocket until I'm convinced what I'm buying is trouble free......Doo is no better....Yamaha is too heavy......What other options did I have......Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm-8
wwhhhhhhaattt?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:

D
Dec 25, 2009
how many miles do you get on your 800

1300 miles 4 sets of pistons and 4 monoblocks, no electrical issues, yet. and not going to either! this sob is goin down the road!!! had a 07 700 1200 miles first season no problems. what a moron for trading it in for this pos. 800. if it wasn't for the fact that i have a good dealer i would haul this pos to polaris main office an shuv it up somebody's ***!!!:mad::mad::mad:

D

Double L

Nov 26, 2007
The PC
09 Assault, 900 miles last season that was cut short in April when the exhaust sensor took a dump and none of the dealers had another one in stock. Rode twice this season and took it in to get the update at 985 miles on 12-15. Turns out the cylinders were to grooved up to hone out. Just got back last Friday 1-15, after waiting a month for the cylinders. O well glad to have her back, for the time being anyway.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
yup they are total junk.. :rolleyes:

1400 miles, 350 boosted, and zero problems. sounds like there are only a few of us who know how to keep a sled maintained. :rolleyes:

Yup it's all maintenance related :eek:

You don't honestly believe that do you?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
sounds like someone is a little butt hurt over my comment?
If i recall correctly skibreeze you had one of the first 155 08 800 and did nothing but rave about it for the entire first season. The last two years you have had nothing but trouble? It just leads me to believe its not a polaris related problem.

My other question is, has polaris really left all of you guys out in the cold? I'm sure they did at least a little bit to get you back on the snow.

Yep, raved about it the first season. I got a whopping 600 miles on it after breaking my leg. The sled was 1 year old when it started crapping pistons, voltage regulators and ECU's, this year it has continued and they added leaking injectors to the list.

Now you tell me how getting 9 pistons isn't a Poo problem. So the voltage regulators and ECU's are a maintenance item now?

Last edited:

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Gas and Oil -----

How many run pure synthetic oil and ethanol.

Lets see Plastic oil and Tequlia.

I run Minerial oil and Leaded 100+ octane fuel.

Is it worth the extra 20 bucks per ride --

YES -- No issues here

O
Dec 6, 2007
Skibreeze, How many miles are on the sled now? I know of many D8's with plenty of time on them and zero issues, the only place I hear of mass issues with this sled is on this site. I just can't see more than 10% of these sleds having these major issues and no one is going to come on this site to brag their machine up, only to complain.

Thats funny, I think I counted 6-7 posts in this thread alone from guys bragging of no problems.

If you don't think there are serious problems with lots of the D8's, you have your head in the sand. I used to think it was only the Doo guys who accepted burn downs as part of maintenance, now it looks like the Poo die hards are in the same camp.

I owned nothing but Polaris for almost 15 years, same with lots of my buddies. Some are still buying them. My friends sons '07 600 just lost a crank at 2200 miles too. He is done, his 800 lost a crank last year too. Two weeks ago an updated '09 went down in the woods, no issues before the update. They wasted 4 hrs hauling that POS out.

If you drop the silly brand loyalty stuff, look hard at the forums, Cat isn't having motor problems, and they haven't for years. I love how the RAW chassis rides but the M is just as good and the sled is much more reliable.

I just don't understand how you can be paying attention and defend Polaris on this.:confused:

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Cat isn't having motor problems,

Maybe not alot of engine issues, but you cant keep the diamond drive from failing after 500 miles.

O
Dec 6, 2007
Cat isn't having motor problems,

Maybe not alot of engine issues, but you cant keep the diamond drive from failing after 500 miles.

Actually you can...for '09 it requires a $50 bearing and a half hour of simple labor. the '05 and '06 DD's are bulletproof, and the absolute worst of the lot, the '07-'08 versions, on stock sleds can be updated with a gearset, or at the worst a one time $600 fix in the form of a BD lite DD. Regular maint really goes a long way too.

It is hardly comparable to the list I read about here, but if it makes you feel better, by all means...

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Skibreeze, How many miles are on the sled now? I hope you find happiness in another machine.

Less than 1800 miles, it has been down for the last 6 weeks partly waiting for the update kit and now for an ECU. The ECU's are backordered until the 24-26th, I don't remember. I really hate to think about getting another sled. I have Polaris tools, I have a Poo 600, I know how to work on them specifically. Spare parts like A arms work for both sleds, etc. I've owned Polaris sleds for 11 years, I don't want to start over in that respect. I am very capable at wrenching on sleds and do basically all of the maintenance on my buddies sleds which include A/C's and SkiDoos. I prefer the Poo chassis by far for strength and simplicity. The electrical system blows and it is the cause of the majority of runnability and reliability issues. If I were to buy another sled it would probably be an M8.

Premium Features