• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 DRAGON 800 DYNOTEST Stock & PC-5

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
buckshot...6 grams after the update? Who's working on this buggy? Cooter's towin, tars, and snow"cat" pirformaaaance? Sumpin ain't right in mayberry there andeeee!:eek:

Maybe get barney to do some vestigat'in..suggest he looks at the following:

Is there a belt on it?
The manual calls for two spark plugs but make sure cooter didn't get crossed up and put them in the plastic spare holder! There's been some confusion at certain shops on that one.
Now here is another sumpon to check on...apparantly there is a situation called the richard gere condition. This is where a family of field mice crawl up and make a home in your exhaust pipe! Sure can't get no performance if your exhaust pipe is all clogged up. Don't know who this gere fella is and how he discovered this condition. Can only speculate that he must be a factory trained master tech to have discovered such things! :d:d

seriously dude...find a new dealer!

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Ok we had in our group 4 different dragons 2-08's and 2-09's all riding the same days in the same areas. They all got the update done at 4 different dealers in 2 different provinces and we were all seeing relatively the same drop in weight to get these motors to rev close to spec. Not the dealer's fault sounds more like a poor supplier!...maybe I have to try something other then a metric piston hahaha??

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I'm going to get my '09 top-end back. My Assault was revving to 8300 in stock 09' form. Now with the 2010 updates it lugs to get to 8100. All conditions being equal. 144 hp feels about right for the 2010 stock motor, definetly not over 150 by by the seat of pants.

Running pretty sh!tty.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
Got 8250-8350 all day long last Saturday with the update. Spiked once on the memory at 8500. Running 10-66's. Mine has ran great, never missed a beat. 200 miles so far. '09 D8 163.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Got 8250-8350 all day long last Saturday with the update. Spiked once on the memory at 8500. Running 10-66's. Mine has ran great, never missed a beat. 200 miles so far. '09 D8 163.

gerrman, what elevation are you riding at and have you any done any mods? pipe, can, clutch spring etc. I only have 60 miles on 09 D8 163 (update installed at 0 miles) completely stock other than 10-60 weights and the best I have seen for RPM at 6000 ft is 8050 .

151Viper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Larimore, ND
I have put about 30 miles on my 09 Updated 800 at sea level. I am running 10-68 weights and all stock. The most I see for RPM's is 8000 which is about what I was getting last year. I was hoping after the update it would add a few HP and the RPM's would go up a few hundred. If I remember right last year when I was in Cooke City I had 10-60 weights in it per the clutching chart and it would not even get to 8000 rpm's. It is a little dissapointing to hear the lower HP numbers but hopefully the reliability is cured.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Last weekend I put in the 64.5 gram weights that I have. Riding at around 6000 to 8000 feet. Sled would run 8250 the first 10 minutes or so then seems to drop down to around 8050 to 8100. If you shut it off for awhile (cools off) then it would do it all over again. Temperature obviously has something to do with it I just have not figured out what so far...the sled does run good tho, no hesitations or anything. Going to try a few changes this weekend in the clutching. Really considering trying the PC5....waiting to hear back on a few questions I emailed Dynotech....:D

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Last weekend I put in the 64.5 gram weights that I have. Riding at around 6000 to 8000 feet. Sled would run 8250 the first 10 minutes or so then seems to drop down to around 8050 to 8100. If you shut it off for awhile (cools off) then it would do it all over again. Temperature obviously has something to do with it I just have not figured out what so far...the sled does run good tho, no hesitations or anything. Going to try a few changes this weekend in the clutching. Really considering trying the PC5....waiting to hear back on a few questions I emailed Dynotech....:D

Hot clutches and or too much snow through shock tower vents (if applicable)?? Bad belt?? Glad it runs good though.

H
Apr 16, 2008
washington
My 09 D8 w/slp pipe/can ran flawlessly last year for 700+ miles. Update done, I now have a bog/hesitation around 6000 rpm. Have only put about 50 miles on it thus far and there was a pint of blue in the fuel. I'm getting 8100-8200 rpm, same as last year but the hesitation sucks. Hopefully once the oil is outta the fuel it disappears but I suspect not. If it doesn't, sounds like another $600 will fix it. If the forecasted snow flies, I'll know soon enough.

I
Sep 26, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
My '10 had a bad bog on the first tank of pre mix but by the time I ran 1/4 tank through on the second tank the bog has dramatically decreased, but is not gone completely. I was running around 1000' of elevation with 10-70's and pulling 8300-8400 across a lake with snow & heavy overflow on it. track speed peaked at 86mph. I have the full SLP exhaust and Big Air intake.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
My dealer told me 200 miles to get it broke in. Seems like a long time to me. I don't like what I'm hearing about clutching issues. No good batman.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
gerrman, what elevation are you riding at and have you any done any mods? pipe, can, clutch spring etc. I only have 60 miles on 09 D8 163 (update installed at 0 miles) completely stock other than 10-60 weights and the best I have seen for RPM at 6000 ft is 8050 .

SLP pipe, 19/42 gears, Holz vents, SLP big air kit, Team Lime Green primary 150-340 spring, stock BL/Pur secondary spring c/w 2 delrins, stock helix for now. Clutches ran very cool last weekend. Will try 58/42, 60/42, 62/42 for powder and 58/40, 60/40 for setup snow. 10-66's for now. I have a set of Ron's Big Torques that I will try this weekend. I run at 3000-5000'.:)

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Has anyone had the dreaded flat spot or bog at 5k rpm's after the update and then added the PCV to fix the issue? Did it work?

My sled - 2009 RMK 800 with recommended SLP can at 1000 feet elevation. I had the hesitation or flat spot before the update and now after the new top end, it still exists.

I'm wondering if the fuel controller will fix the issue???

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Has anyone had the dreaded flat spot or bog at 5k rpm's after the update and then added the PCV to fix the issue? Did it work?

My sled - 2009 RMK 800 with recommended SLP can at 1000 feet elevation. I had the hesitation or flat spot before the update and now after the new top end, it still exists.

I'm wondering if the fuel controller will fix the issue???

Jonce,

Not on a D8, But on my D7, had a REAL BAD flat spot @ 5000-6000 r.p.m.,dealt with it for 2500 miles, dealer did the fuel vapor seperator, ZERO HELP, Installed the PC-3 and went 5%-7% RICHER w/ PC-3 in that range only, COMPLETELY smoothed out, not the slightest bit of hesitation for the last 1200 miles.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Differences between PC3 and PC5? Is there advantages from one to the other?

Quite a bit actually. The PCV is the latest greatest. The biggest difference is that the PCV can use the auto tune kit to manage your fuel mapping. The PCIII has to have maps programmed into. So unless you are very confident in what you are doing you have to get the maps from a place like SLP, DynoTech, etc (or you will burn down your motor!). Also the PCV is smaller and uses a different file format for maps (so PCV maps are not directly compatible with PCIII maps). Here is a link. It's worth checking out their products.

DynoJet Power Commander

CHARIOT OF DOOM

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Quite a bit actually. The PCV is the latest greatest. The biggest difference is that the PCV can use the auto tune kit to manage your fuel mapping. The PCIII has to have maps programmed into. So unless you are very confident in what you are doing you have to get the maps from a place like SLP, DynoTech, etc (or you will burn down your motor!). Also the PCV is smaller and uses a different file format for maps (so PCV maps are not directly compatible with PCIII maps). Here is a link. It's worth checking out their products.

DynoJet Power Commander

so if you have the pc3 and plug it in there will be no map? or will it use stock map when you plug it in then adjust from there??

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
so if you have the pc3 and plug it in there will be no map? or will it use stock map when you plug it in then adjust from there??

On BOTH the PC-3 and PC-5 THERE IS NO MAP. It comes with ALL O's in the cells.

You can easily plug in +'s or -'s, but that's where you want to get that info from someone that's already "created' a map.

From a practical standpoints you have 2 choices:

1) Buy a PC-5 from DYNOTECH JIM , www.dynotechresearch.com as he includes a variety of maps with the sale of a PC-5 ($365.00) at no extra charge. (585) 993-2777, based on the numerous dyno runs/tests he's done on the D7 and D8's.

2) Get the Autotune $250.00 option that pretty much "builds or creates" the maps for your particular sled by taking the readings from the O2 sensor.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Wow, after 3 years Polaris can't get this right but yet a company with an item in a niche market can produce the correct results to get the proper A/F ratios so that you have a smooth running engine producing the advertized HP numbers. And, to top it off people are complacent and believe that as long as it is reliable (even though it is 10 hp short of the advertized dyno result) Polaris is doing the world a favor.... BS, Polaris has the ability to get us these sleds back to us with the full 154 HP and make it reliable. If not, maybe it is time to advertize the 800 as 144 HP with a $600 "option" AKA the PC-5 auto-tune to upgrade. Just for the record my 09 is pulling reletively the same RPM with no clutching changes from last year with 80 miles and the first tank running about 15 to 1......yes the dealer forgot to mention they had added a quart of oil to the tank even after I asked to varify this before I picked it up so my quart went in the first tank as well. Overall my sled seems to be running alright but these dyno results of 144 HP below 30 degrees are disturbing, especially when the majority of riding occurs at or below this mark. Am I the only one that believes this is a problem???

Premium Features