• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HID headlights on 2009 RMK 800 Dragon

S
Nov 1, 2009
just installed mine today.
Did you guys use a rectifier on the low beam side?

the halogens work but the hids don't light. The reason is the voltage going to the ballasts is 12volt ac, not dc. going to Fab up a rectifier i just purchased at radio shack. let me no, thanks.
BTW it's an o6; fuse without electric start. i believe the whole lighting system is 12v AC

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
Got mine today. :) Gave my buddy his for his edge, (early christmas) lol Will be putting them into his pretty soon, but not sure if I will use mine in my sled or not. As I'm planning to sell the thing, And the sled I'm looking at uses different bulbs, so I might end up selling them...

you need to get off that cat wagon.. and ride something with HID's... like a polaris!!!

S
Nov 1, 2009
did you have the wire between the ballast and hid bulb reversed? I made that mistake and flipped it around... and Vall-ahh! it worketh!

nope, not reversed. They'll work fine if i power them off a battery, so it's not the hid system. I did order the 55's instead of the 35's not paying attention. think that may be half the problem. other half i think may be the ac. the unit's getting, unsure.
on your sleds, is the lighting system 12v a.c. or d.c.? according to the schematic and my multimeter, the lighting side is 12v a.c. on my fuse.

i read the ballast specs but it doesn't say weather the 12 ac will powered it or not. I'm starting to think it will, and i ordered the wrong unit(55w). going to put them in my car , an order the 35's and see what happens. thanks again for the response, it is appreciated.

do let me no if a rectifier has been an option

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
Nick, you just need to get that thing running first before you worry about the bling! :D

oh it runs, just have to take it easy 2morrow. Dougy said no lonnng pulls and check the plugs.

I am hoping it stays warm, that will help too.

Hopefully Mike can help me soon with the fuel box. then i will be ready to lay the smack down :D

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
wow, i thought HIDs were a bad idea on the IQs, time for me to get a set. where did you get the power to run them at?

They come with a ballasts that give them a quick shot to get them started, then once on, they use 85 watts to stay lighted I believe.

Ok so have a question of my own now. Installed the lights into my buddy's edge, and the high beam halogen works, but the HID's do not come on. I can't see how it would even be possible to plug them in wrong, unless you plug red to black and black to red. We had them hooked up right, but no HID. Same problem as sidelinellc. But we have the 35w, not the 55's. Is it an AC vs DC current problem?

Thanks

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
crappy on the lights not working on the edge.... I don't know if that is an issue because of the different wiring harnesses or something along those lines. Make sure you try that wire both ways, I know that polaris master and myself had the issue of no HID but we had halogen high beams.
PS: I don't even know what a rectifier is.

And: To get the power to run these required no "power" modifications. I might do a LED tail light to see if that changes anything.

Good Luck with all Y'allz issues.

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
They come with a ballasts that give them a quick shot to get them started, then once on, they use 85 watts to stay lighted I believe.

Ok so have a question of my own now. Installed the lights into my buddy's edge, and the high beam halogen works, but the HID's do not come on. I can't see how it would even be possible to plug them in wrong, unless you plug red to black and black to red. We had them hooked up right, but no HID. Same problem as sidelinellc. But we have the 35w, not the 55's. Is it an AC vs DC current problem?

Thanks

i understand how they work, but i thought all HID kits needed to be hooked up to constaint power. Like with a relay

S
Nov 1, 2009

Thanks

A rectifier,available at radio shack for about 3 bucks, converts the 12v ac to dc using 4 diodes. very simple, goggle images-> full bridge rectifier to see.

since posting, i hooked up the rectifier inline with the ballast power supply, reved the motor up for good power, it tried to light for a second or 2, but nothing. i think it's cause i have the 55's instead of the 35's.
suggestion, try a rectifier with the 35's and post what happens. interested to see.

still waiting to here from these whom have installed these and they work. ac or dc? thanks again
a

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
if your installing them on a polaris sled that isnt a CFI your more than likley going to need a ac to dc converter. and like said before use 35watt kits, the 55s take to much to start up and put the ballast in a shut down mode cause there isnt enough power

sorry for not speaking about the converter sooner

cat

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
if your installing them on a polaris sled that isnt a CFI your more than likley going to need a ac to dc converter. and like said before use 35watt kits, the 55s take to much to start up and put the ballast in a shut down mode cause there isnt enough power

sorry for not speaking about the converter sooner

cat

It does take sizable current to power the ballast to get the HID's working so that is what's probably is going on.

Edge's just don't have enough jam in the stator to fire up the bulbs.

06 600HO Poo's have a DC tap that is located under the console by the steering post. It has a decent amount of current but the carb stator does not put out the same wattage as the CFI stator. That is what is probably happening for the dude who can't get his HID's lit. The guy in th elink I posted a while back recommended installing a battery to handle the current demands during initial light up of the bulbs. You can get a lightweight 12 volt battery at a lot of places - it would look like the backup battery in a KTM 450 SX-F.

Doo's battery for their SDI sleds without E-start would also be an option for HID's on a sled with a lower output stator.

2strokes_are_awesome

Dec 8, 2007
Flat and Boring
Does the dc power supply on the dragons put out enough power to support a koso dual egt gauge and the hid's? I'm not worried about it once the lights are warmed up but the 35w kits usually pull 9-10 amps on startup.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
ok got it. We will try AC to DC converter and see if it works. I hope it does. Not sure that he want to go into installing a battery and all that.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
The wire harness that plugs into the Ballast can be plugged in two ways. I made the same mistake.

You mean the main big plug that you plug directly into the ballast? That one can be plugged in wrong? Or the two little guys? Cause we couldn't see any other plugs that could be switched around. And those two small ones were right. Cause there is only one that fits into the ballast, one that plugs into your stock plug, and then those two small ones, one black one red.

EDIT: Ok so I was at radio shack, or the The source as they are called in canada now. And they didn't really know what I wanted. And couldn't get a rectifier. Tried the local auto shop as well, but he can only get the full size ones for a car alternator. Like $100. So that's not right. Thinking I'll just order online. Could someone post up a link or a pic of what it should like like? I couldn't find much. I'm not sure what to look for, other than the name. Thanks

Last edited:
Premium Features