• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris update

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
my gut feeling on this is its a select few..sleds that have consistently ate pistons since day one..you, mag, and some others on here..I will get a better feeling when mine gets ridden(been sitting for about 6 weeks since the dealer did mine)my guess its gonna be something odd..bad injectors, ecu clitch, mismachined case halves throwing off cylinders, torn boots,who knows but the answer is out there..just gotta find it..looking at mags I am thinking a computer glitch coupled with a bad injector....I am hoping polaris will step up for you guys that are still having issues and just hand you a brand new sled...I know this..when they run right..very very good sleds....

Yeah it very well could be. And for you guys I hope so... I'm hoping my dealer will do a more complete inspection this time around. I believe he started pulling it apart today. I really hope he finds something wrong like your thinking he should. And I agree, when they run right, o boy look out then it's an incredible ride. Mine ran right once last year, about an hour before it went down.... Was running around 8250-8300 RPM and I was in heaven, it was awesome, low and behold in the midst of that awesome good time it seized again. Ruined the best ride that I had had on it so far. It lasted for about an hour and change. :rolleyes:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Yeah it very well could be. And for you guys I hope so... I'm hoping my dealer will do a more complete inspection this time around. I believe he started pulling it apart today. I really hope he finds something wrong like your thinking he should. And I agree, when they run right, o boy look out then it's an incredible ride. Mine ran right once last year, about an hour before it went down.... Was running around 8250-8300 RPM and I was in heaven, it was awesome, low and behold in the midst of that awesome good time it seized again. Ruined the best ride that I had had on it so far. It lasted for about an hour and change. :rolleyes:

go in..have a sit down with your dealer..tell him you want polaris to put a complete longblock in it under warranty as well as all new electronics(ecu,injectors,all sensors)..just tell them..you have been more then paitent, and gone above and beyond in allowing them ample oportunity to fix it..if they wont..then tell them if when its fixed, if it goes down again you will pursue a lemon law return .....I have had to pursue that route before..was actually pretty simple and painless....

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
go in..have a sit down with your dealer..tell him you want polaris to put a complete longblock in it under warranty as well as all new electronics(ecu,injectors,all sensors)..just tell them..you have been more then paitent, and gone above and beyond in allowing them ample oportunity to fix it..if they wont..then tell them if when its fixed, if it goes down again you will pursue a lemon law return .....I have had to pursue that route before..was actually pretty simple and painless....

Good idea. I am just scared I'll flip off. lol They are good guys, but are not really trying hard enough in my opinion. They have kind told me before they have done everything they could, and it's up to Polaris it get it right. But I'll see what we can figure out. Expound on the lemon law, how does that work? You take it into court and get polaris to buy it back?

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
600xc4me, so sorry to hear about all the grief you have had with your sled, if I was in your shoes I would be looking to change brands too. Was wondering if you bought your sled in LaCrete when some one else backed out of thier snowcheck deal? I had a friend that was going to buy an 08 D8 from the dealer in LaCrete but backed out of it and bought an 06 900. After a year of electrical problems he got the 900 running right, but then the crank broke. He ended up buying a Cat M-10 and has been happy with it so far, if your sled is the one he did not get, maybe it just has some bad karma!!! good luck

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
You will have to do a search for your northern area. But here is a link for the States.

http://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html

Thanks. :) AKSNOWRIDER also PM'ed me a few links.

600xc4me, so sorry to hear about all the grief you have had with your sled, if I was in your shoes I would be looking to change brands too. Was wondering if you bought your sled in LaCrete when some one else backed out of thier snowcheck deal? I had a friend that was going to buy an 08 D8 from the dealer in LaCrete but backed out of it and bought an 06 900. After a year of electrical problems he got the 900 running right, but then the crank broke. He ended up buying a Cat M-10 and has been happy with it so far, if your sled is the one he did not get, maybe it just has some bad karma!!! good luck

Thanks. Hum, nope wasn't me. I got this sled used. From a guy who bought it cause my dealer had snow checked it, but backed out. So he stepped in and bought it. Was it an 08 that your buddy had ordered from here? How come did he come here to snow check it? Prices?

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes the sled was an 08, but buddy didn't snow check it he found it by phoning some dealers around the province, dealer in LaCrete was the only guy to have one available. He got nervous that the sled would not be here in time for a trip we were planning, so he cancelled the deal and bought the 900 instead.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Yes the sled was an 08, but buddy didn't snow check it he found it by phoning some dealers around the province, dealer in LaCrete was the only guy to have one available. He got nervous that the sled would not be here in time for a trip we were planning, so he cancelled the deal and bought the 900 instead.

Ah I see. It could be the one my buddy has now. Not sure. He also bought an 08 new here.

Nov 27, 2007
someone may correct me if i"m wrong, but i don't think there is a lemon law in canda. americans have much better consumer laws than we do.btw my friends d 800 is at dealers with scuffed pistons, 105 lbs/110lbs comp, only pulls 7900 rpm. dealer says its because his helix is too steep.(slp single, 18/43 gearing, 66/44

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
someone may correct me if i"m wrong, but i don't think there is a lemon law in canda. americans have much better consumer laws than we do.btw my friends d 800 is at dealers with scuffed pistons, 105 lbs/110lbs comp, only pulls 7900 rpm. dealer says its because his helix is too steep.(slp single, 18/43 gearing, 66/44

Nope we don't have one. Serious? Updated motor? The helix should not have anything to do with scored pistons... That sounds very odd.

2blade

Sep 5, 2008
Not to piss anybody off! I am guessing that I am one of the lucky ones. I am running an 09 Assault that is stock, sled got the remap the day it came out and have been running yamalube 2s since day one. I pulled the exhaust valves on Friday and was totally floored! The sled has 1300 miles and the pistons were absolutly flawless. All things said I am going to wait as long as possible for the update. If it is not broke don't fix it!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
If it's my comment that your debating, about me pulling my valves every 1/4 tank to check my pistons, well I don't see why an 800 owner wouldn't. They are know for problems, and you can have some scoring and it might still run just fine. You won't notice it unless you have EGT's, till it's done more damage than it would have needed to do. I have had so many problems with the 800 that I didn't trust it, so why not check? Takes five min to pull the valves and find out how it's going in there. I'm no super wrench head, but this is something I can myself no problem, so why not? I would recommend other 800 owners also check theirs now and then. You have nothing to lose and it might save you from needing cylinders as well as pistons when and if it decides to score on yours as well.

If I had to pull my valves every 1/4 tank of gas to look at my pistons on a STOCK 800 sled I would either sell the damn thing and quit riding or get a different sled from a different brand. That's a joke Christ even my Super junk PSI motor wasnt even that bad.

I feel for you dude.

Last edited:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
If I had to pull my valves every 1/4 tank of gas to look at my pistons on a STOCK 800 sled I would either sell the damn thing and quit riding or get a different sled from a different brand. That's a joke Christ even my Super junk PSI motor wasnt even that bad.

I feel for you dude.

haha thanks. It becomes part of normal life when you own one like mine. I carry a ten mil socket and ratchet along. Last tank of gas I stopped about every 1/4 tank like said and pulled em off. Cause if it's starting then I want to head back. Scoring your pistons is one thing, getting pulled out cause you didn't notice is another. I am not a fan of being the one on the long end of the rope. And that's why I'm planning on an M8.

POWERBLENDER

Lifetime Membership
May 27, 2008
Great Falls ,MT
took sleds out sat 09 assault with upgrades and 09 700 wifes new - started sleds let warm to 114 while gearin up pulled sleds off trailer and let cool for 15 min ( potty break , lip gloss ck ,photo op etc) got sleds runnin down trail light loads til temp was 180ish another 15 min cooldown . brought sleds back to temp and one more cool cycle then rode the heck out of them . NO problems woooohooo ! pulled power valves sunday on both sleds everything looks good after 57 miles absolutly no scuffing on pistons ,plugs look fine also .will be going again next sat hopen for the best .

IMG_1377.jpg IMG_1367.jpg

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
2010 updates hard starting

I just quickly scanned over this post, so hopefully I don't repeat what was already said. I had my 08 800 updated. I went to load it into the trailer at the dealers shop when they were finished. It would not start like it normally would. Before the update 1 to 2 pulls of the cord, no throttle and away it would go. Not now. If it is cold it will fire up not to bad. If it is hot and you shut it down, then go to start it right away, it will not start. I have to give it full throttle, pull my heart out, then it will finally start. When it is running it's great. I phoned the dealer about it and they said run it a little more and see how it is.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
...absolute, total bs....a helix has absolutely nothing to do with scored pistons.....i suppose this dealer would blame bad shocks, a headlight going out, and a torn seat cover on the helix also....if he's blaming the 7900 rpm on the helix, tell him to fix the engine, and then watch the engine pull the rpm it's supposed to...:eek:

D
Dec 25, 2007
Iowa
The sled has 1300 miles and the pistons were absolutly flawless. All things said I am going to wait as long as possible for the update. If it is not broke don't fix it!

What you don't realize is that it is broke. One of the main purposes for the "update" is to get clearances back to where they should be. The new pistons are .009-.010 bigger and go back in the same hole. So what does that tell you? It tells me that existing piston to wall clearance is in the neighborhood of .013". That's way too much- after time they WILL start rocking in the bores and the skirt WILL collapse eventually. Also the single ring pistons aren't as durable as the two ring replacements.

Too many people are freaking out here. I sincerely think the "update" is sound and not the root cause of the problems you're reading about.

K
Nov 29, 2007
kelowna bc
i just had to come back to this post to add..my 08 d8 slp pipe air vents and intake, helix. has never been a good sled untill now. 2010 update 65miles on it..and it ****king rips! the rpms were a bit low for the 1st few short rides now it hit8250 hard pack and 8150 in pow..it ran so good i stopped at the dealer and said it must be ready to blow up now. only thing i did notice was the temp.. it ran 122-129 until the road back to the truck then it hit 140 but it would jump from 122 up to 136 then 140 then back to 125 all within 1/2 mile
(of hardpack) it would go from 140 to 129 in a hartbeat.. never seen that before. but it ran sooooo good

Last edited:
Premium Features