• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW TUNNEL CONCEPT FOR THE 2007 -2010 RMK'S w/pics... WHAT DO YOU THINK?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST.. MANY QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED IN THIS FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD.

I've been working with Mike at Van Amburg Ent. on a new concept for tunnel sides/boards/edges/bumper for the 2007 and up RMK's.

attachment.php

===========================================================================================================================
Who would be intersted in buying this "kit" from the concept (above) that will not need to get into stripping the sled down to the bulkhead?

Would not needing to remove the tunnel/tank/track/driveshaft/chaincase make a difference to you in doing this kit compared to a full blown tunnel replacement or doing nothing at all?

Would getting most of the function and looks of a Boondocker tunnel, without the need to strip the sled to the bulkhead, make a difference on weather or not you would purchase a tunnel mod "kit" compared to purchasing a full tunnel replacement?

=============================================================================================================================

It is in the CONCEPT STAGE RIGHT NOW.... NO OTHER INFO ON PRICE OR AVAILABILY IS AVAILABLE.
This may not be made at all... this is simply to get an idea of who might be interested.

I do not work for VE.

This would be only for the RAW Chassis RMK's from 2007 - 2009.... NO other models or brands are in the works

The concept is to strip out the suspension, bumper running board edges, Drop brackets etc...
Leave the fuel tank, drive shaft and track in place, stock tunnel sides stay on. Then, cut off the stock running boards, and part of the back of the tunnel sides off.
Rivet on the new Boondocker tunnel sides with integrated drop brackets, Rivet the running boards in place, Bolt & Rivet on the running board edges, Bolt on the rear bumper/tunnel closeoff/flap mount .. Reinstall the skid and Viola!!! You have a VE-Boondocker/RAW hibrid.

The benefits are the deep snow performance of the Boondocker tunnels, a bit lighter weight, built in snow-elimination running boards, wider running boards and MUCH IMPROVED foot placement for boodocking and climbing! A better bumper to grab that doesn't get trapped by the snowflap when you are burried is a big plus too.

It would also be useful for someone with rear tunnel-side damage.

The full Boondocker tunnel is a superior tunnel to almost anything out there. Great strength, excellent deep snow function and excellent cooling performance.

It does take quite a bit of time and experience to do the job correctly though as well as having a higher price point than a tunnel side mod.

An idea of Labor to install a complete new replacement tunnel. NOT THIS CONCEPT WHICH IS OUTLINED ABOVE

Remove Seat, Console, fuel tank, steering hoop/stirrups, lower front body work, Secondary clutch, Chaincase/gears, jackshaft, drive shaft, track, Drain the coolant from the system, remove the coolant hoses from the tunnel, Then grind-off/drill-out all the rivets that hold the tunnel on, remove the tunnel stock tunnel. Then carefully align the new tunnel, Rivet it in place, cut the holes for the driveshaft, locate the suspension holes and drill them, fab new plumbing for the new running board edge coolers and reverse the process above to re-assemble the sled. Most of this can be eliminated with the concept proposal that I'm talking about here.

Here are some concept pics of a ROUGH cardboard mock-up of a Raw tunnel that I have removed from a wrecked sled.

Tunnel removal IS NOT needed for this concept.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
MH, I would be interested ...on your photoshop pic..i think the top edge of the black bracing should run straight across the top of the tunnel the whole length instead of bowing down toward the frt., makes the tunnel look bent the way it looks now....

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I did the microsoft paint mark up in black to contrast and show the additions.

Running the entire side of the tunnel with the 1/4" thick side plate would add weight as well..

If this were Natural aluminum the contrast would not be as strong. (as opposed to black)

All of the new Van Amburg tunnels have an angular look to the front half of the tunnel sides.

Also... before you ask.. the built in fuel tank brackets would not be possible in this concept kit. The RAW tunnel roof, which is retained in this concept, already has a wonderfull T-track mounting system for accessories built in.

Here are some photos of Recent Van Amburg tunnel builds.... NOT THE CONCEPT THAT I'M DISCUSSING HERE.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I did the microsoft paint mark up in black to contrast and show the additions.

Running the entire side of the tunnel with the 1/4" thick side plate would add weight as well..

If this were Natural aluminum the contrast would not be as strong. (as opposed to black)

All of the new Van Amburg tunnels have an angular look to the front half of the tunnel sides.

I see what you mean, but it looks better on their tunnels because it is a continuation of the angle on the back half of the tunnel..I would still be interested....I do like the contrasting colors..adds to the custom tunnel look...

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
Tunnel.

This i definitely something i would be intereseted in!
Have been considering a VE-tunnel for my IQR mountain build, but decided to go with a stock tunnel and an extension.
But if VE started producing this as an improvement for the IQ raw original tunnel and as a extension for the IQR i would buy one for my IQR:)

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Very interested here it would complete my turbo project and looks like a no snow catcher rear, nice work

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Looks good and I like the idea. I think final cost would really factor into an item like this. Weigh out the labor involved both to manufacture and install and you might just be better off with a new tunnel. Just my initial thoughts.

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
Yes, price would #1 factor based in value compared to full tunnel. If they are say less than half the price of a full tunnel, value is there, if its a couple hundred value is not there. Very interested to see what comes of this concept. Nice work to all who are involved!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Looks like a sweet idea!! If the price is say half or better then a full Boondocker tunnel I would want to know if they would build them for other brands/sleds. I think if they can hit a decent price point with them it would be a big seller!!!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i would be very interested! no reason why it wouldnt work with my CR tunnel sides is there? i may be opening up a whole new can of worms with that question though? the side dimensions should all be the same as stock... just longer sides in the rear which would get cut out anyways right?

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
I like the layout and design for strength but like most of the tunnels with that open design it makes for some wet-butt.

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
hmmm, I guess I'll take this thread as a compliment?
No wonder you were looking for pics of my footwells!
It's all good though I think this is a great idea and a good option for custom builds
Only thing I would change is to add some kind of taper to the design, but that would be next to impossible with the iq raw tunnel coolers
PA200548.jpg

PA200547.jpg

This is basically the same concept I did to my iqr a year ago......cut off the factory running boards and build my own sides, boards and rear, then just rivet it on. About 2k miles last year and I'm very happy with it

E
Nov 28, 2007
I love the concept. I love the running boards that he already has on the website. Have not seen pricing on that yet though. Price would be the concern. I think I paid like $1500 or so for my boondocker tunnel three years ago, that same tunnel would probably be $2k now. If he can do this for $500 (ish) he would sell the hell out of them. The footboards he has for $300 are extremely nice and that would probably good enough anyway. Shipping these would for sure be easier not to mention the install (like you already have). I think the bumper should bolt in as well. two reasons easier to ship, and if you dick it up you can replace it. I always worried about towing or doing anything with my boondocker bumper for fear of messing it up and it was welded in. A bolt in version would be the way to go and could be just a strong.

Poorrider, those are the coolest running boards I have seen a lot of labor there for sure but looks very functional. Nice work!!!

Last edited:
Premium Features