• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPOT "X" 2-WAY SATELLITE MESSENGER

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/la..._medium=Paid_Social&utm_campaign=SPOTX_Launch

SPOT X provides 2-way satellite messaging so you can stay connected to family, friends and colleagues whenever you’re outside of cellular range, including direct communication with Search & Rescue services in case of a life-threatening emergency. SPOT X even provides you with your own personal mobile U.S. number so others can message you directly from their cell phone or other SMS devices at any time.

Attachments

• spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 70

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<header class="article__header"> First Impressions: Spot’s New Satellite Messenger

With the X, the company refreshes its flagship device
https://www.outsideonline.com/2305036/first-impressions-spots-new-satellite-messenger </header> Will Egensteiner

<hr> May 10, 2018

On Thursday, satellite-communication pioneer Spot announced its first new model in five years. Dubbed the Spot X, it brings the company a little more up to date in an increasingly flooded market.

Looking like a beefed-up Blackberry that grew an antenna, the Spot X is chunky. But it delivers on most of the functionality you’d expect from a device its size, with a 2.7-inch screen—black-and-white though it may be—and a Qwerty keyboard. Chief among the X’s features are two-way satellite text messaging and e-mail (a first for Spot), an SOS function that notifies GEOS International Emergency Response of your location and allows you to directly message with the service, the ability to check in with select contacts at the push of a button, and GPS tracking via Google Maps. You can also post to Facebook and Twitter directly from the X.
<figure class="rel has-fade-in post-block ratio-horizontal post-block--inline post-block--medium" style="opacity: 1;"> <source media="(min-width: 600px)">
spot-x-messenger_h.jpg
<figcaption class="article__photo-meta">(Courtesy Spot)</figcaption></figure> That’s all fairly standard for satellite messengers today. The most noteworthy development is that each Spot X has its own registered U.S. phone number. That means you’re reachable via text should anyone need to get in touch with you. That’s not the case with something like a Garmin InReach, which displays a different number on every string of texts.

What else would we like to see? Downloadable maps, for one. With the X, you have to plan your route beforehand or bring along a paper map. Of course, with a built-in compass and Spot’s excellent tracking capability, you should be able to find your way to and from that route using the waypoints logged by the device. (Choose from every 2.5, 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes.) Friends and family can track your progress on Google Maps via the company’s website. That said, with, say, Garmin’s InReach SE+, you can view your route on-screen as you go. Weather updates would be nice, too.

The X has a leg up on the Garmin when it comes to battery life. It’ll last, on average, ten days when tracking at ten-minute intervals, while the SE+ is good for a little over four. (The SE+ also has a color screen and, thanks to the added functionality, more processing going on.) For gram counters, the X tips the scale at seven ounces. The InReach SE+: 7.5 ounces.

The Spot X retails for $250 and requires a service plan (from $20 a month). That price for the device is hundreds of dollar less than many models out there. You don’t get quite the feature set; if you’re someone who’d use a satellite messenger more than occasionally, it might be worth going all in on a device with a fuller range of functionality. But the X is a good middle-of-the-road sat-comm option for someone who heads out on the occasional long backcountry trip and just wants to be reachable if folks back home need to get in touch.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
OK so here is my question. I have seen people talk that the In-reach models run on the Iridium satellite network and Spot runs on its own network making the coverage not as good as the Garmin In-reach. Anyone have any information in regards to that? Because I'll be honest I don't need all the GPS stuff that the Garmin has on it (already carry a Garmin Rhino) and my Phone is turned off while riding so linking a bluetooth device is a pain.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK so here is my question. I have seen people talk that the In-reach models run on the Iridium satellite network and Spot runs on its own network making the coverage not as good as the Garmin In-reach. Anyone have any information in regards to that? Because I'll be honest I don't need all the GPS stuff that the Garmin has on it (already carry a Garmin Rhino) and my Phone is turned off while riding so linking a bluetooth device is a pain.

SPOT uses the Globalstar satellite network
https://www.globalstar.com/support/coverage-maps

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SPOT uses the Globalstar satellite network
https://www.globalstar.com/support/coverage-maps

Which shows some big areas that do not have two way communication. While the Inreach says it has 100% global coverage for two way communication.

I think if I was just looking for a US and Canada device the spot would be the easy win. But I would like two way communication across the globe.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Feature/function vs. price. They'll sell their share of these.

As a sat phone user, I swore off Globalstar years ago. Iridium became a much more reliable sat-comm platform. Perhaps Globalstar has improved, but when you use it for business, or to save a life, almost working doesn't cut it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Which shows some big areas that do not have two way communication. While the Inreach says it has 100% global coverage for two way communication.

I think if I was just looking for a US and Canada device the spot would be the easy win. But I would like two way communication across the globe.

And here I was having NO idea that you were such the World Traveler!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Question to anyone who has run a spot device before. Did you ever have an issue with the device not connecting or any signal issue with them?

I'm kind of thinking about trying one of these.
Since I have been running a SPOT for many years now on 3 different generations of their platform.

YES.
On days with VERY heavy overcast days, I have seen a DELAY in signal propagation

Never seen it FAIL to transmit, but sometimes I do see it take a few minutes to complete the uplink of my GPS location for posting back to the tracking system.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
And here I was having NO idea that you were such the World Traveler!

You would be amazed then.

Wife just got back from a couple weeks in Spain. We are both going to Iceland in October. At $10 a day to use or Verizon Phones most of the time we could just leave those off and use something like this. Save a few bucks and ideally have a better, more reliable method of communication. Then factor all of the Emergency items on top of that and this becomes a very interesting option.

She is a bit more of a worldly traveler then I am as I tend to spend more of my time in North America But part of the reason I have been looking into something like this is for her to carry while traveling also. It would be handy to be able to give this to her on her travels whether then be in a place like Spain or on a cruise ship so that she can randomly check in and let me know all is well. I don't need a full phone call check in detailed review of her location. Just a text saying all is well is a nice thing to see when she is half a world away.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Since I have been running a SPOT for many years now on 3 different generations of their platform.

YES.
On days with VERY heavy overcast days, I have seen a DELAY in signal propagation

Never seen it FAIL to transmit, but sometimes I do see it take a few minutes to complete the uplink of my GPS location for posting back to the tracking system.

This is what I was wondering. Thank you.

tdowns

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Midwest
Right tool for the job

I am interested in the spot for emergency communication for a clubs groomers. They run 24/7 at times and a break down in the boonies in the middle of the night can be dangerous.

I have looked at Spot and Garmin and my gut feeling is the spot will do this job for far less cost. As far as the gps feature they are on the same trail always and would be able to tell there contact exactly where they are.

Does this make sense to you guys who are experienced with these units?

Thanks for the info!

Buddy has spot one way. I looked at Spot X and inreach. Ppl complain about small keypad on spot, garmin links to phone. Price was $230 for Inreach (Costco sale last month). When you link to phone ti get full access to maps and can control the inreach. After using it for a month I think I made right choice. Signed up for $25 mo plan which includes 40 messages and unlimited tracking. They have smart plan for $12 with 10 messages and limited tracking. Both plans have 3 free predetermined messages . Mine is "starting trip ", "end trip back safe" and "in trouble cal my list of buds and give coordinates ".

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The only real issue I have with SPOT is the HIGH PRICE you have to pay for a yearly subscription.

The Garmin units have a rather WIDE RANGE of price options to chose from.

SPOT is all or nothing for the entire year.

Look how the price has gone up over the years!@

<table role="grid"><tbody id="uiBillingDetailHistory:transactionlist_data" class="ui-datatable-data ui-widget-content"><tr data-ri="0" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-even odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">
</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="1" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-odd odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">04/01/2011</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">149.98</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="2" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-even odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">04/01/2012</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">149.98</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="3" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-odd odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="4" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-even odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">04/01/2013</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="5" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-odd odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="6" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-even odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="7" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-odd odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">01/01/2014</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">217.93</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="8" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-even odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">01/01/2015</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">217.93</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="9" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-odd odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="10" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-even odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">01/01/2016</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="11" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-odd odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="12" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-even odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">01/01/2017</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">232.92</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="13" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-odd odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="14" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-even odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">01/01/2018</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">232.93</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="15" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-odd odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">
</td></tr><tr data-ri="16" class="ui-widget-content ui-datatable-even odd-row, even-row" role="row"><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center !important;">01/01/2019</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: left">
</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align: center">242.93</td></tr></tbody></table>

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I’ll stick with my satellite phone.
I have to be able to communicate with whom ever I want and get a reply.
I’ve never considered one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Not true.
I chose not to do the monthly plan, but there is one.

I took the annual plan and can bank my messages. I have a year to use all of them.

This is what i saw for my SPOT.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=130

$199.99/<small>YR</small>
Required for each
SPOT Gen3 Device
or $19.99/<small>MO</small>
(12 month term applies)
Required for each
SPOT Gen3 Device

Then add the
TRACKING UPGRADE

$99.99/<small>YR</small>
+ Basic Service per year
or $9.99/<small>MO</small>
(12 month term applies)
+ Basic Service per month

And this is why I did NOT renew my SPOT service contract last month.
I just won't pay that any more.

Premium Features