• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on a snowbike ( Mototrax Demo ride )

H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
This has nothing to do with mototrax but snowbikes in general.

Man are they a BITCH to move around/load and unload. Normally I use a sled deck for my snowmobile. It was impossible to get the snowbike onto it.

Used the trailer..still kinda a pain..especially unloading.

And this happend and ruined my day. Bike fell over on the drive up, with the ski tip stuck into my motorcycle wheel chuck. causing massive twist on the ski.

My ski was super bent and tweaked I tried to ride it for a bit but it was super tweaked out and you would almost have to put the bars in the ground before you could turn left.

So I packed up and went home. Ski seemed to have corrected itself by the time I got home. ( 20-30min drive )

LOL been hauling bikes around for years. never had one fall over. The straps were still connected on this one... which is really odd

I guess I'm just not destined to ride a snowbike. Might have to go back to my Ski Doo save my frustrations.

R.I.P MTX

M
Jan 14, 2004
I always tie the front and back down, back straps pulling backwards, front straps like normal. I just finished setting up a winch system on my sled deck that I use with the wheel kit. It seems to work pretty good so far, so good anyways. I leave my wheel kit on when travelling whether the bike is in the truck box, in the trailer or on the deck. Its just easier and more stable.

M5

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Yea need to make myself a wheel kit setup. Though I think it would be too wide to go up the sled deck with wheels on it.

I strapped the back down last time. didn't think it seemed needed..apparently I should have.

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
Yea need to make myself a wheel kit setup. Though I think it would be too wide to go up the sled deck with wheels on it.

I strapped the back down last time. didn't think it seemed needed..apparently I should have.

I added a 16" wide piece of 1/2" plywood that just sits there loose on the ramp next to the ski guide. I hold it in place with some cleats and I can just lift it off when I need to load sleds.

M5

w74bronco

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2016
I actually put my front wheel on and off in the parking lot of the snopark. I transport with the front wheel on and in my wheel chock, almost identical trailer. Curse of the MTX.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
That thing leaks like a leaky faucet though. Just a puddle of gas..comes out the screw cap.

Mine leaked initially too. I found that the sealing surface of the neck, (that seats against the hard rubber seal in the cap) was not flat. It had slight dips at the seams. Leaked down the threads. I had to carefully sand it true/flush with a flat stock and fine sand paper. Then I chamfered the rim reducing surface area against the seal. It now holds pressure on trips from sea level to 8000 ft.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
What rubber gasket is under the cap ? If it's a flat one there lies the problem . Replace it with an O-ring , won't leak a drop .

Why they have a flat gasket is beyond me , they have to have an O-ring if your using them on VP jugs .

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
What rubber gasket is under the cap ? If it's a flat one there lies the problem . Replace it with an O-ring , won't leak a drop .

Why they have a flat gasket is beyond me , they have to have an O-ring if your using them on VP jugs .

Looks like a little wide grey flat thing.

I have a VP Jug for moto and for my tractor.. i'll go look at what it has.. never really paid any attention before... but then again never carried a gas can on it side so maybe all of my **** leaks.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Looks like a little wide grey flat thing.

I have a VP Jug for moto and for my tractor.. i'll go look at what it has.. never really paid any attention before... but then again never carried a gas can on it side so maybe all of my **** leaks.

LOL , the count is six for VP jugs with the Tuff Jug nozzles . It'll be a cold day in he!! before I ever purchase another one of those oversized flex hose jugs again . Leave them to the sleds and their puny gas cap openings .... OOPS

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
My outboard gas tank has been working flawlessly all year. I never have to take it off while riding, or any other time, just fill n go. If it's deep powder I fill my bike tank and outboard tank up, if not powder I fill the bike and about a gallon in the outboard tank and that's plenty. No leaks, smells or spills.

Premium Features