• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1 week in the MTN's with Explorer

A
Mar 4, 2008
Well, I had a chance to really wring this thing out in some Steep and Deep. It was suprising to see where I could go and what it was lacking. For the most part I could just about go anywhere. I was with a group of 12 sledders. Rev XP, M1000's, that kind of stuff. Most were very good riders. I was bascially doing circles around them. It was quite fun considering the amount of flak I took prior too the trip. That thing ain't going anywhere was the the brunt of it. I rode into areas that were off limits to the sleds, Steep ravines, Super tight trees. I could side hill for miles and take a drink of water doing it. Man that thing was fun. The only thing those sleds had on me were the straight up hills. I could still zig zag to anywhere I wanted to go. When it was all done and said the snowmo guys were just shaking there heads. My best friend told me it was just sickning to watch me. I was turning around in areas he couldn't even get too. Most of you will say the snow cond were just right for the snowbike. I ran into 4 feet of fresh in the woods to sun baked side hills. I had pretty much seen it all. I rode in Crested butte, Telluride, Red MTN, Grand mesa. I'm going back in a month if anyone wants too hook up and try this thing.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2007
pa
" i went anywhere i wanted to go"

AWESOME,,,, i could feel on the phone last night the great time you had. i felt the same way when i was out west. this is the feeling you can not explain on the net,,, you have to step up and buy one and go learn what it can do for yourself... thanks for the info,,, do you have any pics or video's???

mike

S
Nov 27, 2007
Congrats on the Powder Ride. Ours has long ago turned to icy base and we are wishing for more.:eek:

"forward position"?
Was the track slid to the front of (under) the bike, and what position was the ski in: high, middle, low? Do you still have the 15t front sproket? What gear did you do most of your sidehill/boondocking in? Were you revving at half or 3/4 throttle(or wfo) to get through that kind of Pow? Do you have the "sidehill" kit of wheels on the edges or just the stock skid?

Good to hear the collective groan of 12-that thing'll jist fall over and get stuck where we're a-goin!-sledders as you come half-way down a thick timber sidehill, powder to your armpits, and turn right back up and do cookies around the steepest tree well... wasn't it...

:rolleyes:

A
Mar 4, 2008
Congrats on the Powder Ride. Ours has long ago turned to icy base and we are wishing for more.:eek:

"forward position"?
Was the track slid to the front of (under) the bike, and what position was the ski in: high, middle, low? Do you still have the 15t front sproket? What gear did you do most of your sidehill/boondocking in? Were you revving at half or 3/4 throttle(or wfo) to get through that kind of Pow? Do you have the "sidehill" kit of wheels on the edges or just the stock skid?

Good to hear the collective groan of 12-that thing'll jist fall over and get stuck where we're a-goin!-sledders as you come half-way down a thick timber sidehill, powder to your armpits, and turn right back up and do cookies around the steepest tree well... wasn't it...

:rolleyes:
Track fully under bike, I put a 12 tooth front on. I could putt putt putt in the trees. Other wise 1/2 to 3/4 was the norm. I could pull 3rd gear, in 4th it would bogg. No side hill wheel kit, I'm not really sure why I would need one. I'm already riding by myself.:( It seemed the slower I went the better it was. The bike would just sit on top of the snow and go. I would pinn it coming down hills and weave in and out of the trees. man what a gas. If any ones ever been to crested butte theres a long hill on the right side that went for Miles? I could just sit up there and go for as long as I want.
The Ski was in the low position.

S
Nov 27, 2007
12T Wow, we changed from 14 to 13 and got much more useable rpms out of 3rd and on the trail, could pull 4th easily. I wonder how 12t will do. I hope to ride more on the Explorer, but after 5 rides, my buddy with the kit just bought a SH503LT and is selling his Explorer. 2moto is well represented on our area and he rode 2moto a couple of times, as well as my Hawk, last year, before putting his deposit on a Explorer. He doesn't like to work his bike's motor that hard(he normally puts 13-15000 miles on his EXCs, in just a few seasons, before getting a new model) and wouldn't have either conversions now that he knows you really gotta open 'er up to get on top of the snow.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
With Roo that makes two!!

I hope to ride more on the Explorer, but after 5 rides, my buddy with the kit just bought a SH503LT and is selling his Explorer. 2moto is well represented on our area and he rode 2moto a couple of times, as well as my Hawk, last year, before putting his deposit on a Explorer. He doesn't like to work his bike's motor that hard(he normally puts 13-15000 miles on his EXCs, in just a few seasons, before getting a new model) and wouldn't have either conversions now that he knows you really gotta open 'er up to get on top of the snow.

Kits replaced by a Hawk that is, let alone a 503F!
When will the well run dry?:eek:

Last edited:
A
Mar 4, 2008
12T Wow, we changed from 14 to 13 and got much more useable rpms out of 3rd and on the trail, could pull 4th easily. I wonder how 12t will do. I hope to ride more on the Explorer, but after 5 rides, my buddy with the kit just bought a SH503LT and is selling his Explorer. 2moto is well represented on our area and he rode 2moto a couple of times, as well as my Hawk, last year, before putting his deposit on a Explorer. He doesn't like to work his bike's motor that hard(he normally puts 13-15000 miles on his EXCs, in just a few seasons, before getting a new model) and wouldn't have either conversions now that he knows you really gotta open 'er up to get on top of the snow.

The slower I went the better it was. I also don't like to work my motor that hard. I figured at 10,000- 12,000 feet I would need the lower gearing. The 2 skiers started calling me John Deer Jeff.:D

Premium Features