• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Honing cylinders

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
Has anyone honed a 800 cylinder block. I just did mine with a 120 grit 89mm hone from Napa. After doing it I'm not sure if I should of. It looks like I bored it about .003". I got that number from taking the piston ring and measuring it on the new cylinder and then moving it over to the one I honed out and measuring it.
Just trying to fix it up with parts laying around. I have ordered new piston rings.
Thanks

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I brought my 800 mono jugs to a reputable machine shop to have them check piston/cylinder clearance. They wanted me at .006 and I was .005. They said they couldn't get .001 with there ball hone and would have to send it out to a place that has a diamond hone as the nickel plating is to hard.

So I doubt u were able to take it down that much.

I'd try checking your clearance with piston in cylinder top middle bottom and see where your at.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
these plated cylinders need to be honed with a rigid diamond hone . and no reputable machine shop would use a ball hone on a ported cylinder so fyi to both of you , p/s unless you know exactly what to do with a cylinder it is better to pay the 40 bucks for a professional to do it rather than damage a 400 dollar part .

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Right that's why brought mine in. It might not of been a ball hone, I couldn't remember exactly. Was bill bune in anoka, mn whom have been pretty reputable.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I was under impression one can get away without honing cylinders. I'm just going to scrotch brite pad clean mine before checking ring end gap and putting things back together. My cylinders have a nice cross hatch with only 112 hours on them and not going to bother. Need to only get one more season out of my engine anyway.

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
After getting a bore gauge it doesn't look like I took much off if any. Some places it looks to be .001 but other place the same. Since blocks are cheaper than cranks and cases I'm going to send them back and have them checked. With a 2009 Dragon you can't have enough cylinders hanging around. I'm just getting really tired of building this sled (going on the third top end). Each time in its defense has been human error other than this last time. I think it was lean and the -30 degrees that morning didn't help. Just a note but out of the 4 sleds we had that day it took 5 pulls and a little throttle to get them started. This sled started first pull. Went down 3 miles up the road. We let them warm up to 225 before we even pull the off the trailer and then again before we leave the truck. We have two 2009 dragons.
Thanks for the help and I will let you know what they say about the cylinders.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I agree on "better safe then sorry" approach with these d8's. I picked up a 2010 d8 last summer, put the fix kit on and power command right away and I'm still nervous.

When u say let it warm up to 225 I assume u mean 125? Cause 225...damn that can't be right.

As far as piston/cylinder clearance my machine shop said 006-008. I've read people recommending 004-006 and read Polaris had them as far out as 009. So I felt comfortable at 005 (wosner pistons) and gave it a lot of heat soak. Curious to know what u are told and go with.

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
I agree on "better safe then sorry" approach with these d8's. I picked up a 2010 d8 last summer, put the fix kit on and power command right away and I'm still nervous.

When u say let it warm up to 225 I assume u mean 125? Cause 225...damn that can't be right.

As far as piston/cylinder clearance my machine shop said 006-008. I've read people recommending 004-006 and read Polaris had them as far out as 009. So I felt comfortable at 005 (wosner pistons) and gave it a lot of heat soak. Curious to know what u are told and go with.
yes thank you

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
Ill let you know what they say . I'm running the mntk fix kit in the two we have along with the power commander 5 also have the SLP single pipe. one has a high compression head

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
I heard back from Millennium Technologies. They told me that the cylinders are out of round and need to be redone. They also said that unless you use a dimamond hone you can not remove the finish. You could use a flex hone to deglaze a cylinder. For me I'll just send them back to them and do it right.
Thanks for the help out there and hope this will help the next person.

Premium Features