• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will there be a in season 840 released???

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
They are doing it just like DOO did with the release of there 850. First year it was just part of the lineup with the 800 remaining in some base models.

Making snowcheck worth it is good to see because when you have holdover 800's selling for 3-4k less then a snowcheck 800. Its really hard to justify the custom color for that kinda money when the sled stays the same. the '20 model year I see as being available in season.

Ski Doo said it was snow check only to but then realised 850 sp's to all there dealers in December. I have some buddies who didn't snow check a poo 850 and we we're wondering if poo will do the same.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ski Doo said it was snow check only to but then realised 850 sp's to all there dealers in December. I have some buddies who didn't snow check a poo 850 and we we're wondering if poo will do the same.

I’d be interested in a discounted late season release. ?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC

They are building a record number of SC sleds this year, over the goal of what they anticipated. had to add extra production, that’s why some SC sleds will be a bit later than usual. They don’t have production capacity to pull a mid season 2019 850 out of thin air. Plus dealer orders for the year are long past complete, and were not scaled down in anticipation/accomdation of any type of later release. Fully confident it’s not going to happen.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd hope for their sake that they don't reverse course and sell non-snowcheck 850s this season. I'm sure a number of people talked themselves into a SC because that was the only way to get the 850, and I can imagine how they'd feel about that. For something like SC to be worthwhile, it has to offer things you can't get off the showroom floor, and they need to be clear and consistent with SC-only options.

I've also been wondering what will happen to the 800. My thought would be to keep it around, maybe de-tune it a little for the sake of longevity – basically position it halfway between the 600 and 850. Whether they follow Doo's example and drop the 800 probably depends on cost. If the 800 isn't significantly cheaper, it may not make sense to keep it around. I guess time will tell.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
They are building a record number of SC sleds this year, over the goal of what they anticipated. had to add extra production, that’s why some SC sleds will be a bit later than usual. They don’t have production capacity to pull a mid season 2019 850 out of thin air. Plus dealer orders for the year are long past complete, and were not scaled down in anticipation/accomdation of any type of later release. Fully confident it’s not going to happen.

I would disagree with "they are building record number of SC sleds". Almost every year, sleds sales across the board are on a decline. Now add in the fact that they limited the number of 850 snowcheck sales. How can they all of a sudden have a record number to build ????

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I would disagree with "they are building record number of SC sleds". Almost every year, sleds sales across the board are on a decline. Now add in the fact that they limited the number of 850 snowcheck sales. How can they all of a sudden have a record number to build ????
All time record I’m not sure....wrong word on my part. Significantly more than recent years (which production capacity and staffing would be based on), yes...from the horses mouth

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT

I'd agree it's not record number (though I haven't seen any figures), but I'll bet the 850 is driving more snowchecks than usual. I'd think at least half of the SC RMKs are 850s. Overall snowmobile sales are actually holding fairly steady after bottoming out in 2010, and the mountain and crossover segments seem to be growing somewhat. I doubt we'll see anything like the 90's sales figures again, but I still see plenty of rigs with sleds headed to the mountains – more than I did 10-15 years ago, if anything.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
99% of model designations don't match the exact cc's of the engine...all brands and types of vehicles since the beginning of time. Why people have decided this one needs to....not sure

Me either. Smile and nod. :)
It must make those fragile individuals who call it an 840, feel happy and safe.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The "850" really is par for the course when it comes to exaggerated displacements. The worst example I can think of is the "900" at 866cc, but most engines are rounded up 5-10cc; even the old "500" was a 488. There are exceptions like the Liberty 700 and the 500 VES. Maybe somebody can save the day and make an 850 fix kit that replaces the 5 with a 4...

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Meh . . .either that, or we could stop worrying about it. It's just a decal on the side of the sled. The only ones who seem to be concerned about it, are those who ride other brands. :)

Yeah, I was just being sarcastic with that last remark! The only people who'd actually buy it would be 'Doo owners trying to win "mine is bigger than yours" arguments over Poo 850 riders. Time will tell, but I'll bet the Poo rider will be able to end the argument by offering to put on the decal if the Doo rider can keep up!

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I was insured this weekend there will be no in season "850" releases. They were asked to make the SC program great again and they listened. There is/may be another little surprise for all you 850 CS guys & Gals as well..

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I can't wait! What is the snow check surprise?

Premium Features