• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A few questions for anyone...

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
I have a 14’ limited m9000 and since I’ve been on here I’ve learned so much about it but there are still questions I have and no one really has touched the subject with a buy this or that’s junk or don’t even bother, so here they are,

First off, I don’t ride often but when I do, I hate my ac bars. They suck. Big and bulky and if you have ever had your sled upside down, the bars will bend because mine did last year when I was balls deep in a power line. Does anyone personally use something else they wouldn’t do without? I mean sure pro taper, renthal and others but what do you personally use and why? Will the handle bar controls fit on other bars?

2nd, we all know about the width, but does narrowing up the 3” for about $800 really help? Or would I benefit 3rd by sticking that $800 into an STM tuner secondary?

4th, evo tunes? Are they just for elevation? I live in upper Michigan so I’m debating Turbo Dynamics verse evo.

I’m a horsepower nut all the way but the best advice I have is learn to ride, learn to ride and learn to ride. Since I’ve been on here, the suspension adjustments, ski alignment and little things like spark plug gap have made my sled FEEL outstanding. So I’m just throwing out some ideas and asking for everyone’s help.
I honestly feel the 4s turbo is a cult following, why would you want a heavy boat, terrible factory skis and suspension set up and if you really lucked out, a belt blower? It’s because the power is there.

Nick

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
A few thoughts...

I have a 14’ limited m9000 and since I’ve been on here I’ve learned so much about it but there are still questions I have and no one really has touched the subject with a buy this or that’s junk or don’t even bother, so here they are,

First off, I don’t ride often but when I do, I hate my ac bars. They suck. Big and bulky and if you have ever had your sled upside down, the bars will bend because mine did last year when I was balls deep in a power line. Does anyone personally use something else they wouldn’t do without? I mean sure pro taper, renthal and others but what do you personally use and why? Will the handle bar controls fit on other bars?

2nd, we all know about the width, but does narrowing up the 3” for about $800 really help? Or would I benefit 3rd by sticking that $800 into an STM tuner secondary?

4th, evo tunes? Are they just for elevation? I live in upper Michigan so I’m debating Turbo Dynamics verse evo.

I’m a horsepower nut all the way but the best advice I have is learn to ride, learn to ride and learn to ride. Since I’ve been on here, the suspension adjustments, ski alignment and little things like spark plug gap have made my sled FEEL outstanding. So I’m just throwing out some ideas and asking for everyone’s help.
I honestly feel the 4s turbo is a cult following, why would you want a heavy boat, terrible factory skis and suspension set up and if you really lucked out, a belt blower? It’s because the power is there.

Nick
I'll go into a few of your questions. Bear in mind these are only my opinion, others may vary...
1) I like CFR Boondocker bars. The bend just fits me well. The stock controls won't fit well.
2) Narrowing up the sled helps a bunch. I would go with the 16 front end vs. Skinz, as the Skins adds more weight to the skis, something the 4S doesn't need IMHO.
3) No experience with Turbo Dynamics. But EVO's stuff works really well, and the hp numbers they advertise are at elevation (8000') They also have a few fail safes built into their tunes. I personally have a BC Turbo on mine & love it.
4) You missed #3 in your original post.
5) These sleds are very misunderstood. In fact, even Cat didn't really take the time to set them up properly in terms of suspension tuning, no underhood venting to speak of, and they never put a decent set of skis on them either. But they can be had for a bargain price, and if you take the time to set them up & add some venting instead of a wrap, you should be a happy camper. Hope this helps.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
The EVO tunes will work at all elevations.

I for 1 would love to have my 12 1100t again with the 2016 front suspension and more refined rear skid. When I went from the stock 40" to the 38" the first year and the vertical post it was a huge improvement. I also ran ski doo Pilot DS skis that year and Loved them. The next year I ran a 156 2.5" track. It was when I went to the 174 track and the 8" wide powderhound skis that I think I wrecked the sled. Climbed like a billly goat but also handled like a mac truck without power steering.

So that being said everything new thing isn't always an improvement. If I was sitting on money to burn I would buy a 153 do the vertical post, the 16 front suspension, EVO tunes and exhaust, Research rear suspension from the sidewinder(geometry). I would also get a 153 3" powerclaw for it. I think it would be a riot.

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
Vertical steering post?

I thought you can’t do a vertical steering post on the 1100 turbo because the engine is in the way. That’s why they have that stupid U-joint and bushing set up that is a pita. Correct me if I am wrong or am misunderstanding?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I thought you can’t do a vertical steering post on the 1100 turbo because the engine is in the way. That’s why they have that stupid U-joint and bushing set up that is a pita. Correct me if I am wrong or am misunderstanding?

Easy modification. Can be done

Done It on all 3 of my 2012 1100t

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Vertical steering post.

They're talking about adding the 4 stroke verticle steering post that Cat has in the accessary catalogue.
Some vipers and 1100 came from the factory with it.
Not sure what years though.
I added it to my M1100T and thought it made the sled handled better than the lay down steering post my sled came with.

Last edited:

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Get the vertical steering post. Well worth the money.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 44
Premium Features