• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project minimalist tube frame

F
Jan 30, 2016
Going for somewhere close to 300 dry, complete minimalist build 151x15x2 track, rear axle drive, tube frame, Srv 540 fan engine spinning p85 clutches, arctic cat proclimb front suspension. Front swing arm will attach directly to driveshaft with 12+ inches of vertical travel.
Home made 11 inch poly front idlers and extended front arm.
Rear scissor will be external like RUSH to make room for rear chain drive.

Last edited:
J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Going for somewhere close to 300 dry, complete minimalist build 151x15x2 track, rear axle drive, tube frame, Srv 540 fan engine spinning p85 clutches, arctic cat proclimb front suspension. Front swing arm will attach directly to driveshaft with 12+ inches of vertical travel.
Home made 11 inch poly front idlers and extended front arm.
Rear scissor will be external like RUSH to make room for rear chain drive.

lets see a sketch

F
Jan 30, 2016
Yes. Directly on the driveshaft.
The reason for this is so the chain drive can run directly down from driveshaft to rear front arm mount.
From there a second chain will run to the rear drive axle.
This is done so front chain tension will be constant as the front arm compresses through its foot of travel. front arm will be relocated to 6 inches from track bottom and 2 inches rear of stock. Front arm length will probably be a bit shorter. rails are from a xtra-12 polaris.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 379
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 434
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Its interesting with "out of the box" Projects !
Im thinking that the the forces of acceleration will strive to compress the front of the skid with that setup.

F
Jan 30, 2016
Here's a beer napkin sketch

Managed to get the front arm brackets made. Just need to get them welded on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
F
Jan 30, 2016
What are you going to do to keep the track tension goods enough to drive the track. Done kind of compensator like the M-10 had that would move to keep tension while the track compressed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure, once I get it all mocked up ill run it through its travel and see how loose it gets

M
Jan 17, 2010
SW, MT
Very interesting idea! Why are you going with a rear drive? Is there a benefit to that and not going off of the front? I definitely want to see how this turns out!

F
Jan 30, 2016
Very interesting idea! Why are you going with a rear drive? Is there a benefit to that and not going off of the front? I definitely want to see how this turns out!

More hp to the track so I can get away with the 540 fan motor for now...
Read more here on rear axle drive:
http://www.rndinnovators.com/

Managed to get the lower nose tacked
And then started on the front arm rear mount.
2 bearings are pressed into a 2-1/4 pipe which will ride on the shaft. 2 gears will attach with 50 chain on the pipe. It will serve to connect the front and rear chain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 217
F
Jan 30, 2016
Will u mount the brake disc on the rear drive axel?

It will be on the front driveshaft which is also where the front arm will mount. I am probably running a 50 chain and sprockets instead of a conventional chaincase so i may put the brake caliper on the lower sprocket. The front arm will have bearings to allow it to be mounted on the front driveshaft ,probably 1 inch .120 wall. It will also have those 11 inch front idlers as seen in the earlier pic. The front driveshaft will also contain the sprocket to drive the first chain to the rear front arm mount shown in the earlier picture. That piece will then have a second chain driving to the rear axle. The two chain setup is necessary to have constant chain tension throughout full front arm range. The rear scissors will be externally mounted like the rush to give more room for the chain drive in the suspension.

What happens when you wheelie over a rock? Think the drivers can handle a large impact?

We shall see. Hopefully it is as strong as the 2 idlers a conventional sled runs.

Attached is a CAD i have been working on for the rear rail extensions. They will slide along raised edge of the Xtra-12 rails and have a central slot running the length of the extension and be secured with 2 bolts per side. the stock tensioners will push on these to adjust the whole extension backwards. The two vertical slots are bend tabs. The piece will be bent at opposing 45 degree angles to give a 2 or 3 inch offset to go around the rear drivers. Once bent they will be welded overtop. Not sure to go with 3/16 or 1/4 mild steel.

The 1-1/8 rear aluminum hex axle will be supported by 2 1 inch bearings in 3 bolt flanges that bolts to these plates as seen.
I will mill the 1-1/8 hex down to 1 inch round at the ends where the bearings mount, as well as any spots where hex drive is not needed to save weight. The hex shaft will drive the 2 RT1000 10 tooth drivers as well as mount the hex pattern hub and sprocket.

Attachments

• rail-ext.jpg
    rail-ext.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Premium Features