• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

About to ride the 1100T 162!!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
The four manufacturers don't have any production built sleds this time of year. I think a few years ago Cat had forty hand built demo sleds. Good move it fooled you. If you don't want to put money down on a pig in a poke, wait.
Wait 'til next winter. That's what you should do. Myself I like what I'm seeing and hearing. I also trust Cat. Here's my money. I hope they sell out at least I'll have a nice ride.
I saw enough to convince me that this will be the best sled built. PERIOD.

Owen
I do know that the sleds polaris demoed last season all had serial numbers on the tunnels, which means they came off the assembly line, so technically polaris did have production sleds for their demo rides at this time last season, but overall I agree with you, things do often change between now and the fall when sleds show up at the dealerships....

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Did not see where any weight could be saved where the battery was located under the back of the seat. What I really like is all the detail that was paid to keep this sled balanced including the battery placement.:nod:

K
Nov 27, 2007
2012 m8

So if the proRMK is 438 dry lets say the new cat is 476 crate weight do you guys think the cat will be 458ish dry, and how do you know the can on the new cat will be 20lbs ish.Also were do you think polaris and skidoo are saving weight compared to the cat.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
First of all the Ski-Doo is the heaviest of the 3. The Arctic Cat (if it weighs the same as the 2011) will come in right below 560 wet, and the Polaris should be about 540 wet. An HPS can on the 2010 cut 15-17lbs depending on who you asked. I never weighed the stock one that came off my dad's or the HPS to find out what the real difference was for myself.

I believe my dads 2010 M8 SP 162 came with the slip in the crate that said like 465 crate weight. Snowest weighed the 2010 ready to ride at 557lbs. The Polaris was 576 (Dragon) I believe and the Doo was 548 (Powertek motor). I think the Cat was the only 162" in that group if I remember right. I am just comparing the new numbers that I am assuming based on what the manufacturers have stated. Ski-Doo said the Etec is 10lbs heavier and Polaris said the cut 40lbs compared to the Dragon. With those numbers the Cat should be within 20lbs of the PRO.

I would really like this years copy of the Deep Powder challenge so I could see the 2011 weights for myself!! Did my digital subscription end!?!?!

This chassis is beefed up to handle the 4stroke motor. If Cat would have designed a 2stroke only chassis I have no doubt they could have saved some lbs. How much? I don't know but I'd say 20lbs isn't out of the question.

Joe

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose

I would really like this years copy of the Deep Powder challenge so I could see the 2011 weights for myself!! Did my digital subscription end!?!?!

This chassis is beefed up to handle the 4stroke motor. If Cat would have designed a 2stroke only chassis I have no doubt they could have saved some lbs. How much? I don't know but I'd say 20lbs isn't out of the question.

Joe

Yes, where is my new Slowest

and you wont find performance motorcycles sharing a chassis, a KTM 250SX 2 stroke has a lighter frame than a KTM 450 SXF 4 stroke, that new chassis has to built to handle the extra weight of the 1100T

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Dont know if you want my opinion.......... but I can tell you I was ready to write a check for this one, the rest were mostly engineering mules and showed it, this was looked like a production unit, everything was there, even the warning decals, it had 800 miles on it but felt very tight, very nice machine, I really asked if I could take it home. I think it was perfect just the way it was but hope they can make it better yet:)

why are they still working one them? Maybe they want to make doublely sure they are as ready as they can be, we all now what happens when something fails in this high tech world, its all over the internet in minutes

I did not demo a 2005 M7 pre production unit, were the production delivered in the fall identical or were there small changes? I would guess there were changes but I dont know for sure, anybody know?

Thank you Dave-hatchet buried.
S.C. ( formly Mountaindoo)

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Iv'e weighed the stock canister off my M1000 I think they are the same JSun? 23lbs for the stock one.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
Dam Dave, your input on the new 800 helped swing me over from the PRO. That, and the fact that I have a good Cat dealer about 5 min from my house. Fine, I'll take the extra 20lbs that the new Cat might be carrying vs the PRO and I'll throw an HPS can on and be within 5 lbs and have 10+ more HP,, along with the Powerclaw track and the most balanced chassis I have ever ridden (and that was with the 4-stroke!!!) I can't wait to see how the chassis will react with 80 less pounds!!

(For comparison to get the PRO to the HP level of the Cat you are looking at about $1000+ with the SLP Performance Package)

The other thing that helped me make up my mind was this: my dad's 2010 M8 SP is the funnest sled I have ever ridden. The 2011 Polaris was oh so close, but I sill had more fun on the Cat. That fact alone, as well as trusting the fact that Cat would not put out a sled that was worse in any way when compared to the previous model is what made my decision.

If this new Cat gets up on the snow as well as the PRO, which I fully expect it to, the extra HP will really show. And that will make this new Cat a winner.

Joe

I understand your philosophy here, but if your gonna start shedding weight off a sled it is only fair/obvious that you would shed the same product off of the comparison sled, yes the cat will save more than the poo how much more depends on the can and the HP increase is variable as well...so really somebody with a sh*t ton of money needs to buy one of each and do the same exact mods on them and then let all of us ride em :) seems faiir to me...

Durability:face-icon-small-win

Ok i own a polaris and even I agree wit this...i dont worry about my sled but i know lots of buddies with poo's who do, and that is a bad thing to always have in the back of your mind whether or not you should put the tow strap in your bag...

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
anyone try to see how the skis felt. I remember the old skis were terrible. thinking a set of powder pros might work if these new ones don't feel right

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
just want to say thanks for all the discussion here and info i pulled out of it from several people.

i want one so bad, i just got exit shocks on my 2010, and i feel like i would be going backwards to get floats again. but the new suspensions probably a dream with any shock compaired to the m8.

hmm maybe standard m8 with coil overs.

i dont doubt i can throw around the 1100 turbo at 5' 4 130 pounds. i just fear pulling it out of a stuck hole by myself. hm.

i cant decide between the
crossfire high country 800 or 1100 t
m8 153 sno pro 800 or 1100t

im keeping the 2010, so im thinking the high country will be a nice jumper and the 2010 i can keep for the super deep pow days. hmmm. im gonna drive myself nuts trying to decide without a ride.

i really do want to snowcheck but im gonna have to wait cause i cant decide!!!

-Aksnopro

K
Nov 27, 2007
2012 m8

You guys are saying you will be able to loose 15lb on the can alone but how do know the 2012 will come with a 23lb can,and how do you know that can will not loose hp,no can manufacturer puts out a dyno chart.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Not saying that just commenting on what the M8 can and M1000 canister weighed don't know the exact weight of the Turbo canister

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Hey, AKSNOPRO...........

I too was worried about getting a fourstroke out of a stuck, so by chance I came off a little wheely and landed crooked on my left side and punched though deep wet snow. Surely stuck. I thought Oh boy what have I done. My son a strong 35 year old came to my recue. Although he was there to help,He wasn't needed. I took my time and climbed arround the front and the running boards packing the snow down and away from it. I stood on the right ski to straighten it up a bit. Then I gave it a little gas and could see that would move ahead on it's own. At that point I got on and pinned it. It jumped back on top with good power. No heavy lifting. I don't think I needed to do a full throttle launch. I'm used to doing it that way on my King Cat. I do believe that it will drive back up on the snow with half throttle just fine. This lesson was important to me as I cannot lift a sled anymore ''old and bad back''.

Owen

S
I do know that the sleds polaris demoed last season all had serial numbers on the tunnels, which means they came off the assembly line, so technically polaris did have production sleds for their demo rides at this time last season, but overall I agree with you, things do often change between now and the fall when sleds show up at the dealerships....

Remember though, Polaris had already started production on that chassis the year before with the RUSH 600. They had essentially figured out a lot of the manufacturing by the time they were ready to show off the RMK version.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
good to hear...however, i have had stuck situations where back here in MN i have walked right out with little effort where i know would be a different story out west in "real powder". I love to hear good things about these sleds but just trying to add a "different perspective". :face-icon-small-ton

Sam

I too was worried about getting a fourstroke out of a stuck, so by chance I came off a little wheely and landed crooked on my left side and punched though deep wet snow. Surely stuck. I thought Oh boy what have I done. My son a strong 35 year old came to my recue. Although he was there to help,He wasn't needed. I took my time and climbed arround the front and the running boards packing the snow down and away from it. I stood on the right ski to straighten it up a bit. Then I gave it a little gas and could see that would move ahead on it's own. At that point I got on and pinned it. It jumped back on top with good power. No heavy lifting. I don't think I needed to do a full throttle launch. I'm used to doing it that way on my King Cat. I do believe that it will drive back up on the snow with half throttle just fine. This lesson was important to me as I cannot lift a sled anymore ''old and bad back''.

Owen

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I dont really get the point of this, all sleds will get stuck in the steep and deep, and will require work to get out. I've rode about 40+ days in the mountains every year for the past 9 years and very rarely do you every need to lift the front of a sled to get it unstuck (Maybe the odd time in the trees if its suck over a branch or stump, but then you usually need help anyway). The back of these turbos will weigh about the same as the 2 strokes so it should be about the same to get unstuck as a regular sled.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I dont really get the point of this, all sleds will get stuck in the steep and deep, and will require work to get out. I've rode about 40+ days in the mountains every year for the past 9 years and very rarely do you every need to lift the front of a sled to get it unstuck (Maybe the odd time in the trees if its suck over a branch or stump, but then you usually need help anyway). The back of these turbos will weigh about the same as the 2 strokes so it should be about the same to get unstuck as a regular sled.

what he said - x2

Premium Features