• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

About to ride the 1100T 162!!

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Twenties verses fourties, fifties and sixties

I think that might be how to explain the choices. The yougest guy seemed to want to stay with the 800. All the rest of us seemed to want the refinded nature of the 1,100 turbo. I do think this sled will not be handycapped at all be the 80lbs and will work great in good snow at high alt.
Out of the five of us that are getting new sleds for next season, I think four will get 1,100 turbos and one 800.
Will the 800 carve better than the 1,100? I should hope so, but the fact is this fourstroke blurs that line and when you think about that. That's increable. Us older riders know it. It's going to take many years to make any huge improvments in this sled. That make it a great buy in my opinion.Good job Cat.

Ps. Cat needs to fix the secondary clutch. The notch in the helix causes a loud click. It sound like something is breaking. The notch is needed for the two strokes only because they run backwards in reverse. The fourstoke doesn't.

Owen

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I think that might be how to explain the choices. The yougest guy seemed to want to stay with the 800. All the rest of us seemed to want the refinded nature of the 1,100 turbo. I do think this sled will not be handycapped at all be the 80lbs and will work great in good snow at high alt.
Out of the five of us that are getting new sleds for next season, I think four will get 1,100 turbos and one 800.
Will the 800 carve better than the 1,100? I should hope so, but the fact is this fourstroke blurs that line and when you think about that. That's increable. Us older riders know it. It's going to take many years to make any huge improvments in this sled. That make it a great buy in my opinion.Good job Cat.

Ps. Cat needs to fix the secondary clutch. The notch in the helix causes a loud click. It sound like something is breaking. The notch is needed for the two strokes only because they run backwards in reverse. The fourstoke doesn't.

Owen

I am 50 and choose the 800, :wave: but I come from a dirt bike background only been riding sleds about 12 years

that clunck has been there for a couple of years now, some are worse than others, I dont even here it now

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN

Owen

I was talking to Cord about that thump, and he said we were riding one of the early build test sled that had an early 2 stroke secondary. They said they are working on the secondary to eliminate that issue..........

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
thanks for a great review. It would be awesome to be able to ride ur sled before get it.

could you elaborate a little more on the one guy in your group that will stayon his m8? whas his reasoning and what's his riding style?

not trying to dwell on the negative but sometimes you can learn just as much from a negative review.

Congrats on the new sled. sure I am not the only one who is jealous of ur little test ride!

Sam: I can explain his decision, I think. He has 400 miles on that sled, and I think he thinks there is not that huge of a difference in what he has to what he would get into. What I forgot to mention to him is that the power differences in Minnesota only get more divided when getting into 9x the elevation we were riding at yesterday.

Frankly I dont blame him. If I had a 2010 SnoPro M8 with only a few hundred miles on it, I would not be making the change either.

The elevation on the gauge read 970 feet above sea level.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Another comment from Cord when I asked him how long they have been testing this Pro-Climb chassis? 3 years was his response which gave me a sense of comfort. This was also the answer Dam Dave got from the engineers in IP he stated in his thread "Can I Keep It":face-icon-small-ton

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
The guy who will NOT be buying the new TURBO is my dad. He was actually going to snow check one this week had he not gotten the chance to ride one yesterday. For him, I think the biggest thing was the power delivery. He only rode it for 5 min maybe, and his comment right away was "it doesn't even feel like a snowmobile." He loves his M8, as he should, I love every second I spend on it as well. My dad loves the sound of his sled (HPS can) and loves how quick and snappy it is. Those traits just weren't there on the TURBO. It's also VERY easy to ride as everyone with an M8 knows. For him, that's all he needs. His goal isn't to climb the highest hill, his goal when he goes west is to have a good time with the group, play some cards and maybe have a cocktail or two. As long as he has a sled that can get where he needs to get to he is completely happy.

Now my personal thoughts on the sled - First of all, this chassis is the most well-balanced chassis I have thrown a leg over. And the suspension - WOW!! Not to mention the suspension hadn't even been calibrated on this sled!! I had the opportunity to hit a few jumps with it and it flew completely flat, and landings were smooth as butter.

The power delivery would take some getting used to for me. I like to pop the throttle on the 2-stroke to help me carve through the trees. I don't know if I could do that on the TURBO.

I noticed the weight. The M8 just felt more playfull to me. I talked to Hilly about this - I think guys coming from M1000 will really like this sled, and I think Cat is intending this to be the replacement for that sled. It is NOT a replacement for the M8. Those of us who like the light weight snappy M8 over the torque-monster slightly heavier M1000 will need to get used to this sled. Guys coming from the M1000 will find that it feels lighter and has even more of that power they love.

Thanks again to High Time and his son Cord. It was a great day for all and we all learned a lot. I will post a few more pics and some other thoughts in a little bit.

Joe

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
The guy who will NOT be buying the new TURBO is my dad. He was actually going to snow check one this week had he not gotten the chance to ride one yesterday. For him, I think the biggest thing was the power delivery. He only rode it for 5 min maybe, and his comment right away was "it doesn't even feel like a snowmobile." He loves his M8, as he should, I love every second I spend on it as well. My dad loves the sound of his sled (HPS can) and loves how quick and snappy it is. Those traits just weren't there on the TURBO. It's also VERY easy to ride as everyone with an M8 knows. For him, that's all he needs. His goal isn't to climb the highest hill, his goal when he goes west is to have a good time with the group, play some cards and maybe have a cocktail or two. As long as he has a sled that can get where he needs to get to he is completely happy.

Now my personal thoughts on the sled - First of all, this chassis is the most well-balanced chassis I have thrown a leg over. And the suspension - WOW!! Not to mention the suspension hadn't even been calibrated on this sled!! I had the opportunity to hit a few jumps with it and it flew completely flat, and landings were smooth as butter.

The power delivery would take some getting used to for me. I like to pop the throttle on the 2-stroke to help me carve through the trees. I don't know if I could do that on the TURBO.

I noticed the weight. The M8 just felt more playfull to me. I talked to Hilly about this - I think guys coming from M1000 will really like this sled, and I think Cat is intending this to be the replacement for that sled. It is NOT a replacement for the M8. Those of us who like the light weight snappy M8 over the torque-monster slightly heavier M1000 will need to get used to this sled. Guys coming from the M1000 will find that it feels lighter and has even more of that power they love.

Thanks again to High Time and his son Cord. It was a great day for all and we all learned a lot. I will post a few more pics and some other thoughts in a little bit.

Joe

You explained that better than me, good report

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Dam Dave - Completely agree with you on the vertical steering. I didn't like having the bars turn down towards my knees when trying to carve. I would love to spend time on one with vertical steering, but I still don't think it would convince me to buy a TURBO. It doesn't fit my style of riding....yet.

BTW, I can't wait to chase after High Time, Jeff C and Hilly on their new TURBOs next year!!! I'll be on a new 800 (leaning green but still a chance it might be red...)

Here are a few more photos!! Enjoy!!

Joe

IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0053.jpg IMG_0055.jpg IMG_0056.jpg IMG_0059.jpg

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Thanks so much for all the ride reports guys they're great. But one thing I'd like to hear is how they compare to a T-Nytro or Apex. I know there are a lot of guys who don't ride Cats or a new Pro RMK that are considering changing over to Cat. I'm strongly considering the 1100 or 800 with a Cutler turbo. My decision hinges on how the 1100 compares to the Nytro as thats what I've been on for the last 2 seasons and a T-Apex two seasons before that.

Have you guys been on either a Nytro or Apex and can you compare the 1100 to those sleds??

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
why on earth is this sled not in the mountains? i appreciate the effort you guys have gone to with doing all your write-ups, but i find the info absolutely useless considering that you are riding on flat, icy, hardpack, at 1200ft. its like taking a purpose built off-road 4x4 and letting people test it out on asphalt.

we are getting hammered with snow in the mountains right now. trailer that damn thing out to where it belongs!

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
why on earth is this sled not in the mountains? i appreciate the effort you guys have gone to with doing all your write-ups, but i find the info absolutely useless considering that you are riding on flat, icy, hardpack, at 1200ft. its like taking a purpose built off-road 4x4 and letting people test it out on asphalt.

we are getting hammered with snow in the mountains right now. trailer that damn thing out to where it belongs!

See my thread "can I take it home" I rode several 2012 Cats around island park in fresh powder…

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN

That is precisely why I did not mention how "Good or bad" it carves. I also made no mention of how good of bad it floats.

We had the opportunity to ride this sled THIS WEEKEND, at THIS LOCATION. I would have felt pretty sheepish to demand that our CAT guy drive this to Island Park...

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Yeah, It would be nice to ride it in the mountains.

We are all members of the Midwest Mountain Riders. We get out West a couple of times each winter. When we do get out we want the best we can get, yet we have to get some use of our sleds here too. The plant is here. It was nice of Cat to bring it to us. This also was the effort of one Cat engineer and not a official demo ride. Actually that made it better.
We are also lucky to still have some snow here. It's going fast.

Owen

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
We are all members of the Midwest Mountain Riders. We get out West a couple of times each winter. When we do get out we want the best we can get, yet we have to get some use of our sleds here too. The plant is here. It was nice of Cat to bring it to us. This also was the effort of one Cat engineer and not a official demo ride. Actually that made it better.
We are also lucky to still have some snow here. It's going fast.

Owen

Owen, I am glad to hear the reviews. You know as well as I do that if you have ridden out west a few times you can judge a sled pretty well in mn as well. Hearing your guys opionion on this sled makes me wanna snowcheck one even worse. And besides I want a sled that I can ride in mn as well, as out west.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
See my thread "can I take it home" I rode several 2012 Cats around island park in fresh powder…

When I review your (dam dave) past comments on these sleds before they even came out...... you were very bias and defending these sleds to the bitter end.

Not that it is a bad thing..... but you were and or would purchase one of these sleds whether they were good or not.

I want to know if these sleds can keep up to the real PRO in the steep and deep and tree riding then I will consider purchasing one.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I find it really interesting how everyone who likes the new sled is deemed to be biased. Seems to me that almost every review has been very positive, must be a lot of bought off and bias people out there.

I also think its funny that people want their sleds to make them a better rider. News flash, your sled does not determine you skill, It may mask your lack of skill but it definitely will not improve it. If you can really ride then you will be able to do so on any of the recent platforms (03 and up) and anyone who claims that a sled makes them a good rider is not someone I want to base my buying decisions off of.

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I find it really interesting how everyone who likes the new sled is deemed to be biased. Seems to me that almost every rewiew has been very positive, must be a lot of bought off and bias people out there........................................QUOTE]

I see that as well.....

There is absolutely no way, anybody could call me biased for Cat. I have never owned one, rarely have ridden them, generally dislike people who ride them (Namely the crew that go out west with every year for the past 22 years), hate Green Bleeders,,,,,,,,, well not hate, but really do think some of the bleeders I know, have a mental diffiency .........(ahem, ahem,,,,, cough, cough,,,,,,,,,, Hilly)

I rode this sled with a jaundised eye, and after about 20 minutes I could see ALOT of positive things about this set up.......

This is coming from a Polaris then Doo guy...

No bias here.......... It is a nice chassis and will do great for the Arctic Folks in terms of sales......

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Exactly the reason I have not said too much in my review of the T1100 other than it is more manageble than I feel my M1000 was and the weight in the nose of the sled on the T1100 does not fight me like my M1000 did. I let others Jeff C, JSun and Aux670 All (Ski-Doo boys) do the large wrtie-ups for our day with the Pro-Climb T1100 for fear of sounding biased. I can say I came away more excited to have this new sled between my legs next riding season forsure!:nod:

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
We had the opportunity to ride this sled THIS WEEKEND, at THIS LOCATION. I would have felt pretty sheepish to demand that our CAT guy drive this to Island Park...

not giving you guys a hard time for taking the opportunity when and where you did, i just don't understand why they wouldn't have every proclimb camped out in mountain parking lots, offering rides from release date till the snow melts. luckily some of them did make it to the hills because flat land comparisons mean nothing. ie: my buddies apex feels twice as playful on flat ground compared to my other buddies xp, and almost as easy to lay over as my M. but point each of those sleds up a hill and the shortfalls of the apex become obvious.

Premium Features