• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1100 turbo diet

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
What do you guys think I haven't saw one up close yet. How much weight can be lost on the exhaust? My m8 lost almost 20 lbs just by putting an hps can on.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
havent seen the 4 stroke in person yet so not really sure but I would guess less then 20 lbs. A turbo muffler is generally going to be quite a bit smaller then a stock muffler. Or maybe I am just thinking that because it is only aftermarket companies building turbos so far and they just build light mufflers to begin with.

M

morrisond

Jan 8, 2008
Are aftermarket Intercoolers lighter? That would be the most obvious spot to lose weight.

Other areas for weight loss would be lighter spindles, Headlight delete, lighter pumbing (carbon fiber tubes?), lighter ski's, bumper removal.

From a balance standpoint I think we would be wiser to focus on frontal weight loss, taking weight out of the back would be detrimental, so I wouldn't do things like a lightweight battery.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
good thread, started one similar to this...

Battery drop around 10 Lbs. going to lighter weight battery (did this on Nytro cheap and easy

Exhaust- 10-15 lbs. and gain HP

Hood- Needs venting anyway, will go with Skinz Air-Frame Hood, generally saves 10-15lbs.

Rear Skid- Timbersled, or Kmod- will save around 10-15 Lbs.

Misc.?

Morrisond mentinos the weight balance standpoint which is very valid...one of the things Cat has stated is they removed 64 lbs. from the front of the sled...some of this was done by moving things like the battery back, flattening the gas tank and making it more on the track, and going with longer coolers in the back etc. So the claim is it is a balanced 50/50 weighting...So the good part is, the above weights pull from front and back, thereby keeping us balanced...or as close as we can...

Just these, should get us near 500lbs. am certain I can find enough to get it below 500lbs. but we shall see :)

However, I know I will be adding some weight back in too though...for instance, New bumper and brackets on the front to protect the Turbo and intercooler...also the Skinz AirFrame running boards...both MUSTS in my opinion...

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Are aftermarket Intercoolers lighter? That would be the most obvious spot to lose weight.

Other areas for weight loss would be lighter spindles, Headlight delete, lighter pumbing (carbon fiber tubes?), lighter ski's, bumper removal.

From a balance standpoint I think we would be wiser to focus on frontal weight loss, taking weight out of the back would be detrimental, so I wouldn't do things like a lightweight battery.

I think that a aftermarket intercooler would be lighter. The Cast end tanks on the one I see on this currently are heavy. . . . . I would think maybe could cut like 5lbs off the intercooler and that is at the front of the sled.

Also Chromoly Pyramid. If it is not already Chromoly. Or carbon fiber.

Also as MT dream listed a different Muffler. Thin wall aluminum charge tubes may be benifical and maybe lighter than the rubber and plastic ones. hard to say though.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Take off all the weight you can, then just rebalance it at the farthest point away from the balance point using a dense material like lead. You save weight and maintain balance.
--Is the balance still maintained with a gear bag or supplemental gas located on the back of the sled?

M

morrisond

Jan 8, 2008
A Carbon brace between the engine and Jackshaft should be easy as well.

Chromoly Steering shaft?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Hey Jeremey, how much did you get your Nytro down too?
I'm really skeptical about getting a sled that weighs 100lbs more then what I'm used to.
Going on my second back surgery might also not be a good idea to go with the heaviest sled on the market.....but 230hp on pump gas for just an extra $1,000 sounds damn tempting.

1RMDave

Aug 23, 2010
I'm reaaally curious to know how my FST will stack up against this.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I was told the turbo will have a bumper with down tubes.

You can see it on some of the pictures, but not on the literature.

Owen

Premium Features