• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody make there own Tubro Kits?

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
On my list of things to do before I die.. is build my own turbo kit for my '69 Camaro, but I got to thinking attempting making a turbo kit to work off 2 exhaust ports vs 8 seems like a lot less work and a good first step, so with that said who's made there own turbo setup at least all the hot piping ect. Would be great to see some photos if you got em! I'm not sure if I would want to attempt to build it for my 600 efi Mcat or my Rev, I would think the EFI setup would be the easier route also that engine bay is really open and would be much easier to work on.

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
I have built 3 so far none on a sled yet . But im thinking its in the works soon . Ski dooin it just about finished his full one off custom rev with rx1 turbo motor . And many outhers have done there own . Carb or efi is about what you like better .

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i think barrey grant maxes carbs for blow through design setups, you can just boost reference em and away you go.

as far as building it, its realatively easy to do, takes a lot of time and thinking, but if you have the will and the tools, a kit for a car like that is easier as you have a LOT of space underhood to get things to fit. if you go ahead with it.. let us know, theres definately people on here who could help you get exact turbo sizing and header design, fueling ideas... the works.

if you want to go really cool, its actually easier then you might think, boosting propane, its like cheap race gas, and then you can go NUTS in the boost department. just food for thought

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
I have built 3 so far none on a sled yet . But im thinking its in the works soon .

Got any pics of the turbo projects? Specs, details, etc? Someday, I want to build a single T70 for my S-10. Good website for all turbo projects http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

You will usually see 3-4 threads per Fall (maybe more now) of people building their own kits for the sleds. There are a lot of great fabricators on this site.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Been down that road and still am. I never built my first kit with any intention of making a business out of it, but it has turned out very well and is fun. It's great building and getting compliments and talking with everyone along the way.

Good luck and have fun:).

Dave

B
Feb 13, 2008
ELKO, MN
I built my own turbo kit on a 05 m7. It worked great at lower elevation, but I couldnt get it to run right in the mountains. Maybe if I could spend more than one week per year in the mountains I could have made it work. If I were to do it again I would probably just buy a kit. Yes it will be a little more money, but think about how much time you will save by not having to figure out all of the tuning. my 2c

T

t_thall

Oct 22, 2008
half way through my 4th setup now. Did a single turbo '87 firebird, twin turbo '03 chev pickup, single turbo '03 chev pick-up and now currently working on a nytro. I love doing it but keep in mind that whatever you think its gonna cost you can at least double it!!

'03 Chev, 70mm single, 6L

DSCI1165.jpg

DSCI1164.jpg

'08 Nytro

IMG_0555.jpg

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Just about done my cat project. Pump gas 2860 M8. Sure took longer than I expected but still a fun project.

Lets hear the details!

What size of turbo is that (A/R), and how did you choose it? What are you using for fuel control? How about your fuel pressure regulator?

Last edited:
J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
half way through my 4th setup now. Did a single turbo '87 firebird, twin turbo '03 chev pickup, single turbo '03 chev pick-up and now currently working on a nytro. I love doing it but keep in mind that whatever you think its gonna cost you can at least double it!!

'03 Chev, 70mm single, 6L

DSCI1165.jpg

DSCI1164.jpg

'08 Nytro

IMG_0555.jpg

I like your style! Do you do all the tuning yourself?

What kind of numbers are you putting down with these setups?

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
Just about done my cat project. Pump gas 2860 M8. Sure took longer than I expected but still a fun project.

Sweet looking project. How did the cost of this compare to the cost of a kit? Is this a pump gas or race gas kit? What did you use for a oil pump?

I am looking at doing a self built turbo next year and curious to hear from someone who has been there.

Nice work:beer;:beer;

Nov 20, 2008
Im still working on my set up for a 99 zr500. the turbo is off of a saab 9-3 and its a garret GT17. i used an automotive fuel pump and 1:1 regulator from summit. i put a battery under the hood to run all this stuff and the gauges. i still need to figure out how to charge the battery or at least maintain the charge. i build a new down pipe for the turbo and a intake. im still trying to figure out how im going to clutch it, if i should just use bigger weights or get the adjustable ones. i added power jets to add more fuel and got an egt to help tune it. there is a lot more to it than i thought and in the future i think i would buy a kit but i still want to finish this one just to say i did it

side.jpg intake.jpg sidel.jpg sider.jpg

Last edited:
S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
Started mine yesterday. Kit not available and if it was I doubt I could afford it. Tons of good knowledge here we will see how it works out

T

t_thall

Oct 22, 2008
I like your style! Do you do all the tuning yourself?

What kind of numbers are you putting down with these setups?

Do my own tuning, use hp tuners for the truck, should be mid to high 500's on high boost w/ the meth, haven't dyno'd it yet just comparing to other engines.

The nytro isn't done yet, just sent the hot parts away for ceramic coating. Its a 2860rs turbo.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Do my own tuning, use hp tuners for the truck, should be mid to high 500's on high boost w/ the meth, haven't dyno'd it yet just comparing to other engines.

The nytro isn't done yet, just sent the hot parts away for ceramic coating. Its a 2860rs turbo.

Do you always run it with no air filtration or was that just part of the fabrication/build?

X
Oct 26, 2008
i'd love to build a turbo setup for my pro x 600 but havent had the time to yet

built this twin turbo setup on my duramax last year during spring break, its making 45 psi and 1200* egt's even towing. makes 550whp/ 1100tq

tuned with efi live, the big turbo is a 75mm (s475) and the stock turbo as the 2nd turbo

underhood1.jpg

Premium Features