• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain cat or Axys

Jan 22, 2011
utah
I’m looking at getting another Mountain cat however my neighbor is a Polaris Dealer and told me. Polaris is going too offer a $3000 rebate by Aug 1st. I will sell you a brand new in the crate 155 Polaris Black Axys. I have never had a Axys he will sell it for Exact same price as the Mountain cat I’m looking at. So my question is do Axys perform as well as the 18’ Mountain Cat 153 3” ? The Axys is 3” as well?? Anyone ride both? Any intel be great thank you

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the cat has a little more power but if they are both 3" sleds they are VERY close in deep snow performance, not enough change to make much fuss over.

I love the axys chassis for its ability in technical terrain, the 18 cats work very well but just are not quite the same. BUT, the cat seems to be a bit tougher and overall a more robust sled. Both sleds work incredibly well and are super easy to jump between so I would not let that hinder you.

Pure techincal riding the Axys wins for me, if you like to jump more and are pretty rough on sleds the cat may be a better choice.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The axys 3" track sucked in light CO pow for me in early season no base. I put a 3" powerclaw on it and it helped deep snow performance a ton. I have a lot of miles on both sleds. I have about $11K in mods on my axys, and about $2K in mods in my Cat. I still like my Mountain Cat better. It just beats me up less throughout the day, even with stock shocks on the MC, whereas my Axys had both Zbroz and now Burandt fox shocks all around on it. If you put gripper skis, increase steering, a can, and some boards on the Mountain Cat, there is nothing the sled won't do. And I actually prefer it in Technical terrain over my axys. Both are great sleds and you can't really go wrong with either. I've blown engines on both sleds as well, so not like one engine is that much more reliable than the other. The low rpm and smooth engagement is really nice on the Cat though. If I were to buy an axys again I'd go with the 2.6 and belt drive over the 3" and chaincase. The 3" stock poo track got pretty chewed up within 500 miles.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i take it your talking 17 mountain cat in the proclimb section?
I prefer mine over the axys. more top end pull on the zuke, better ride in rough terrain imo. motor will last longer. you wont be glued to the temp gauge on a cat in the morning like my poo buddies are. Axys is a great snowmobile tho, no doubt. Id buy one for my wife.

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
And from what I have been told the benefit of Polaris belt drive goes away when they use the 3" track on the Axys as they go with a chain case. I didn`t know that so was good info when I was looking at hold overs. I really like my 17 Mountain Cat no seat time on an Axys though.

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I don't think it is fair yet to say the new Cat motor is as likely to fail early as the Polaris 800. Just because one or two guys have lost a motor doesn't make it as failure prone as that 800 Poo POS.

Since there is a chance that Cat the new motor will have some teething pains, I stuck with a '17 MC and the old Suzuki 800 which is easily good for 2-3 times the mileage of the Poo 800.

I owned three Polaris sleds in a row. My opinion of them is that if you ride them hard, they are a one season sled. After one season it needs a motor, new motor mounts, power valve cable and a primary clutch rebuild. If you LIKE working on your new $10,000 toy, by all means, get the Polaris. If riding is more important get the Cat, it is more likely to run everyday you want it too.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
I’ve got a 16 Axys. I agree w most that the poo motor isn’t great reliability wise. Had a new top end installed under warranty at 1200 miles due to a score in the cylinder wall. I’m about as non brand loyal as they come.
That being said it’s a very very fun sled. Done some work on her to make it so. I just throw a new top on every season to be safe. Wouldn’t be scared of owning either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
part of a season. 2-3k miles a year. abusive death, nonstop pinned until out of gas. lots of jumps and drops.

Even though it takes me 2-3 sleds to make it through a season at this point I still prefer the axys. For 90% of riding the cat and the axys are on a level playing field where I would put the cat a bit ahead as far as power/traction and overall more robust sled. Especially a Mtn Cat which have a pretty dang nice shock package out of the box. Its a hard sled to beat out of the box.

If you live to push the limits of the sled on an edge(especially in less then ideal snow) the axys is the hands down winner. It may not have quite the power or traction BUT it is taller, less drag and lighter sled. If your not trying to push the limits of the chassis every weekend the Cat is a better sled IMO.

Axys - Exacto knife (light/precise/fragile)

Ascender - box cutter (little heavier/more brutish/tougher)

Being able to buy in season polaris 2.6's for just over 10k vs 13ish for a Sno pro mid winter also helps change things. You can get a base model sled and throw

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i like the exacto/box cutter analogy.
easier to push axys to its limits like pushing a 125 dirt bike compared to a 250. the 250 will just require more balls.

Premium Features