• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 mountain cat rpm problems

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
i rounded off my bolt and have had to do it again a couple times as it wears down. just seems like round edge vs. square edge would be better. would love to know for sure if they are balanced with the screw in because i was planning to swap holes once it wears through the plate. I dont think you could get the 2 piece secondary as balanced as a tied.

You know if they ever made a tied secondary for the 2016/17 cats?

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
i rounded off my bolt and have had to do it again a couple times as it wears down. just seems like round edge vs. square edge would be better. would love to know for sure if they are balanced with the screw in because i was planning to swap holes once it wears through the plate. I dont think you could get the 2 piece secondary as balanced as a tied.

On this same note. I believe the closer the weight is to the center of rotation. (Shaft) the less balancing has an infuence.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I saw this last time I was out riding, the rivet has been pushed into the primary, is this a common issue? Can it effect the balance of the clutch? Can you move the rivet to the other hole? https://gyazo.com/7a1659b68ac16f099f823f2b79893731

I took my dremel and made a nice cut out eliminating the rivets there. I noticed now I have marks on my side panel from the clutch spinning on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lacombe08

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2017
I saw this last time I was out riding, the rivet has been pushed into the primary, is this a common issue? Can it effect the balance of the clutch? Can you move the rivet to the other hole? https://gyazo.com/7a1659b68ac16f099f823f2b79893731
I got the exact samething. The rivet can be moved to other hole. This is only a reinforcement to help the side panel from bending

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
You know if they ever made a tied secondary for the 2016/17 cats?

i dont know, but i would think youd need a '15 jackshaft. then i bet they have one for you.

im agree on the balancing thing whiskeyTee.

N
Mar 8, 2018
Sweden
I have gotten alot of great answers, but nothing that I can imagine will raise the rpms. Feels like too loose deflection wouldnt cause it, dirty clutches I don't think can do it either, is there anyway one of the weights could have broken? I have the sled in my cabin so I will go ride it all weekend before I can check it out. Could it cause any damage too the sled? Also it vibrates like hell when going above 35mph if that could be related.

Edit: vibrations are gone, I suspect ice.

Last edited:
D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
I have gotten alot of great answers, but nothing that I can imagine will raise the rpms. Feels like too loose deflection wouldnt cause it, dirty clutches I don't think can do it either, is there anyway one of the weights could have broken? I have the sled in my cabin so I will go ride it all weekend before I can check it out. Could it cause any damage too the sled? Also it vibrates like hell when going above 35mph if that could be related.
Would think you shouldn't be riding it if it is vibrating. You are either going to cause yourself a whole bunch more damage and $$ or leave you stranded out somewhere.

Someone with some knowledge needs to look at it.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Vibration could be from the belt.
Just one burnt spot can do that. Could be the drive chain but not likely. Could be the drive shaft, might be bent (from hitting something) bad bearings...
Secondary could have a problem, on my 09 i had 3 broken helix bolts, sled vibrated bad. Took me a couple trips to figure it out and 15miles in to the day i had to be towed back to the truck...

N
Mar 8, 2018
Sweden
Would think you shouldn't be riding it if it is vibrating. You are either going to cause yourself a whole bunch more damage and $$ or leave you stranded out somewhere.

Someone with some knowledge needs to look at it.

I don't think the vibrations could cause so much damage, both my dad's 12 m800 and 15 m8000 vibrates the same and the 12 have about 6000 miles on it without any issues and the 15 has 1500 miles without issues it's more the rpm thing that
Is worrying me

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
I don't think the vibrations could cause so much damage, both my dad's 12 m800 and 15 m8000 vibrates the same and the 12 have about 6000 miles on it without any issues and the 15 has 1500 miles without issues it's more the rpm thing that
Is worrying me
Point is, you have an issue that you have no idea what is doing it. If you drop into some bowl that requires max effort to get out....well you know what happens then.

I had a 13 and I now have a 16. I don't have a vibration, other than normal operating vibrations. So...something is going on and needs someone who can check the basics. Primary clutch all good, secondary clutch all good, then power valves, maybe reeds, etc, etc.

N
Mar 8, 2018
Sweden
Point is, you have an issue that you have no idea what is doing it. If you drop into some bowl that requires max effort to get out....well you know what happens then.

I had a 13 and I now have a 16. I don't have a vibration, other than normal operating vibrations. So...something is going on and needs someone who can check the basics. Primary clutch all good, secondary clutch all good, then power valves, maybe reeds, etc, etc.

Yeah I see what you mean, after going to my cabin and riding about 10 miles I don't feel the vibrations that were there earlier. (Maybe ice?) Compared it to a boondocker 3700 and that vibrates alot more, my last sled was a pro and it was silky smooth, it feels like it doesn't vibrate abnormally until WOT on the trail. Also all helix bolts are still there and all looks good in the primary, hard to check out in the woods more closely since it's - 17C outside. Will ride this weekend and check when I get it home. Would 10C warmer weather effect the performance of the sled?

Last edited:
Premium Features