• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weight hanging up on broken roller - can i remove and get back to trail head?

E
Jan 14, 2018
I have an 06 rmk 900 159". It is currently deep in the backcountry and I could not tow out due to deep snow and big pass to get over.

I have a broken roller that my weight is being hung up on, keeping the primary engaged. The sled did start back up and idol (seemed to be fine, track even moved when we lifted it off the ground. BUT it was giving me an awful noise and did not want to move.

My original thought is it change out the entire clutch in the field. The more I researched this, it sounds like its possible but a huge pain in the ***.

My questions is; can I removed the weight that is hanging up and get the sled back to the trail head? Will this cause damage to other parts of the mechanism or to the engine itself?
Would really like to do able to do the work that needs to be done in a garage...

Thanks for you help!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
If it were my sled in the field with that issue, I would find or borrow another primary and change clutches out to get it back to the truck. I wouldn't want to run the machine with a clutch that far out of balance if you're talking about pulling one of the weights, that'll put a lot of stress on the crank stub. Pulling the primary is actually pretty easy as long as you have the puller, some teflon tape, and some water to pour in the hole. Or pull the clutch and have it serviced, then bring it back and reinstall if you don't have a spare primary available.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Do Both

Is the roller flat or is the weight against the side.
Might be the bushing in the weight simple fix there

Take a puller and Teflon, and the rebuild kit since you need it anyway. Some 900 clutches come off hard. Take a new bolt also, after a clutch swap that might ruin your day later.

Been there -- Done that

Premium Features