• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blackhills condition #4

F
Nov 11, 2013
Aberdeen SD
how much fresh

Leaving Aberdeen at 6 a.m. Wondering how much fresh snow has been received this week looking for some fresh fluff by noon, I saw on radar some snow on Monday did the north half get more then the south or vice versa? just trying to have a ride plan as soon as we hit the hills still hoping for 80 miles tomorrow after we drive for 6 hrs.:face-icon-small-ton

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
Fresh fluff and still 80 miles after a six hour drive. That sounds like a trail ride. What do you need fluff for? If it's for real you guys sound like go getters. Good luck. My best day in the fluff was 68 and I was on the hill 8 hours

F
Nov 11, 2013
Aberdeen SD
depends on where we unload and where we go, If we unload at SFC and end up having to go down around 11, 12, 13 its about 25 miles there and 25 back with about 25 to 30 worth of playing in the meadows. Usually get 80 in and that's in about 6 to 7 hrs. I know it's optimistic, but if everyone is on time or early in the morn, we should be unloading by 11 or 11:30 unless we are really bucking a strong head/cross wind on the drive over.

S

STEVE TWEET

Jan 20, 2010
We were out there this past weekend and they had anywhere from 4-8 inches of powder on top of the crust but break through and trench there is 4 foot in some areas we got stuck. we made a full circle around trailshead no more then a mile away and found what I would say the best snow I have rode in there and bumper deep snow in the areas that don't get much sun. well worth it in my opinion from any length drive just need to get more then a 100 yards off the trail. the only time we saw a trail is when we crossed it and it was beat up pretty good with in a seeing distance of it as well. turn on your gps and just go and you will be more than happy.

F
Nov 11, 2013
Aberdeen SD
go up today got in a quick 70 miles, trails are good, the meadows and even up in the trees was really stating to set up. went into a couple of favorite meadows that we rode 2 weekends ago, last time it was a couple of stuck 136 and one 144, today same meadow looked untouched yet had a really good base and only sank in 3". Had a really difficult time boondocking because the snow was so cake batter like. It was 44 degrees up top today can't wait for a fresh round of fluff. NWS talk was whatever snow they do get is likely in the range of 16 to 22 inches for every inch of water, so very dry and fluffy lets hope for 12".

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Cold today, colder tomorrow. Been snowing lightly off and on all day. 1-2 inches at Hardy, less South, a little more to the North. NWS predicting 4-8 inches tonight and tomorrow for Hardy/Trailshead area. Was into Mountain Meadow at Deerfield today, no problems getting in and out of there, a few thin spots. Had to use my Sno-Bunjie ratchet rope to get myself out of a jam today. I was following along 6 mile road in the trees since the road was plowed. Came to a spot I thought was a small climb out of a draw but ended up being a hard old plow berm. Did not make it over the berm so I tried pulling the front of the sled around and ended up tipping the sled on its side downhill. I could not right the sled uphill and due to trees, rocks and the radio equipment on my sled I could not roll it completely over or spin it so I could right it down hill. I hooked the ratchet rope on the ski spindle and to a tree on the other side. I tied a loop in the haul side of the rope to pull on. The ratchet pulley and rope gave me enough leverage and mechanical advantage to pull the sled back upright.

Ratchet Rope-Dont leave home alone without it!

061.JPG 062.JPG 063.JPG

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Hope you are OK

Sdsnocop glad you are OK. I don't leave home without a Sno-bujie, Sno-bunjie pulley with rachet, and at least 1 buddy. I hope the weather holds out as we are planning a 3/12/14 trip. :face-icon-small-win

Cold today, colder tomorrow. Been snowing lightly off and on all day. 1-2 inches at Hardy, less South, a little more to the North. NWS predicting 4-8 inches tonight and tomorrow for Hardy/Trailshead area. Was into Mountain Meadow at Deerfield today, no problems getting in and out of there, a few thin spots. Had to use my Sno-Bunjie ratchet rope to get myself out of a jam today. I was following along 6 mile road in the trees since the road was plowed. Came to a spot I thought was a small climb out of a draw but ended up being a hard old plow berm. Did not make it over the berm so I tried pulling the front of the sled around and ended up tipping the sled on its side downhill. I could not right the sled uphill and due to trees, rocks and the radio equipment on my sled I could not roll it completely over or spin it so I could right it down hill. I hooked the ratchet rope on the ski spindle and to a tree on the other side. I tied a loop in the haul side of the rope to pull on. The ratchet pulley and rope gave me enough leverage and mechanical advantage to pull the sled back upright.

Ratchet Rope-Dont leave home alone without it!

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
great snow to be had in trees and away from trails! we had a fun time!!! I would recommend its for sure worth the 5hour drive for us hoping to go back in two weeks!

M

maddog21

Mar 19, 2008
Charter Oak, Iowa
very warm today.. feels like 50 today. We went south like 2K trail area. Still land mines in the wood. I hit a few stumps but no damage.. very lucky.

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Spent Friday and Sat. on the trails and a little boondokin'. Was pleasingly surprised at how good the snow has held up over the last 6 weeks since we were last down (my third trip this year!)
<O:p</O:p
Was -6 Sat. morning when we left Whitetail Ct., headed up to SC Lodge, couldn't pass up groomed trails with a few inches of pow on top, made for some good runs.

<O:p</O:pMade quite a few pull-offs into the trees and found excellent pow, deep with a nice base at the bottom so there was only a couple stucks. Only buzzed a few landmines, fortunately none of them grabbed any of us.
By far the best riding I've ever had in the Hills. <O:p</O:pWill try to post a few pics/videos if I get time.<O:p</O:p

(ps, Thanks for the tip Duane on the ratchet rope, I'll be getting one of those for sure)<O:p</O:p

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Spent Friday and Sat. on the trails and a little boondokin'. Was pleasingly surprised at how good the snow has held up over the last 6 weeks since we were last down (my third trip this year!)
Was -6 Sat. morning when we left Whitetail Ct., headed up to SC Lodge, couldn't pass up groomed trails with a few inches of pow on top, made for some good runs.

<O:p</O:pMade quite a few pull-offs into the trees and found excellent pow, deep with a nice base at the bottom so there was only a couple stucks. Only buzzed a few landmines, fortunately none of them grabbed any of us.
By far the best riding I've ever had in the Hills. <O:p</O:pWill try to post a few pics/videos if I get time.<O:p</O:p

(ps, Thanks for the tip Duane on the ratchet rope, I'll be getting one of those for sure)<O:p</O:p

Ratchet rope is a very handy self help tool. You can use it in conjunction with a sno-bunje when riding alone (which I would not recommend) or if riding in pairs it will allow you to use 2 sno-bunjies in a severe stuck. Up-righting the snowmobile from a downslope angle work surprisingly well with the ratchet rope. At 5'7" 155lbs I do not have the height or weight to pull the ski back upright when on its side at a downhill slope. I would suspect you could also use the ratchet rope to lift and hold the rear of the sled if you have an overhanging branch or lash a tripod together with 3 poles.

bkpa

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2012
Hartford, S.D.
Thank you sdsnocop....

All of us on this site owe you a lot! Yes, you have a job to do and while not all agree with that, I respect it. I bring my kids out to enjoy our sport and hopefully make great memories. I don't want the trails to be dangerous for my girls. We can get off trail and play if we need to hot rod.

You not only give us HONEST trail reports but aren't afraid to show that you're just like us and can have a mishap with your sled. I like the pictures. And you give an educational lesson on what we should have with us. Though some don't, I hope that we all are learning from you.

Thank you.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
All of us on this site owe you a lot! Yes, you have a job to do and while not all agree with that, I respect it. I bring my kids out to enjoy our sport and hopefully make great memories. I don't want the trails to be dangerous for my girls. We can get off trail and play if we need to hot rod.

You not only give us HONEST trail reports but aren't afraid to show that you're just like us and can have a mishap with your sled. I like the pictures. And you give an educational lesson on what we should have with us. Though some don't, I hope that we all are learning from you.

Thank you.

Thanks, Just remember when I have a mishap with my sled at work it is not my sled its yours, Snowmobilers are the one who pay for the equipment I use for my job and I try to treat it as such. Mishaps happen but I try hard to keep the equipment in good shape while still using it to its potential to get the job done. I have been very fortunate in 22 years and approx 100000 thousand miles of patrolling the hills on 11 sleds I have bent 2 A-arms, a radius rod, ripped a hand grip and broke a few mirrors . I am also just as careful with my personal sleds since quite frankly I cannot afford to be replacing broken parts.

Premium Features