• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blew the motor up today :(

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
35 miles up in the hills, thing decides to squeak a piston on a light spring snow day ...

It was running AWSOME until then too, then it started bogging ... I thought at first I might have some snow in my new snorkel air intake ... wasn't the case ... It started back up then died, sized up cold.

Towed it 35 miles back with the M8 ... got it in the garage, dumped some oil in the cylinders .... it turns over now, but it's real hard.

I think I'm at the "enough" point right now. This motor had barley 200 miles on a brand new top end that Carl's Cycle did for me last spring ..... *sigh*

wtf ....

G

GBCB

Nov 19, 2008
Crested Butte, Co
That makes two of us!

Lost mine yesterday. A tough knock for me but, you've taken an absolute beating- feel for ya man. Makes me hesitant to fix mine. Wish I coulda met you when you were in Crested Butte this winter. That was probably the biggest shot of snow for us this year. Rode a nice M8 this winter. Liked the power but the ride just didn't excite me much. Something that runs should be exciting enough, I guess. Good luck Dog, You've been fun to follow on the forum. If I ran this kennel, I'd defintely throw you a bone!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I think I might snow check an M10 for next year ... :hs:

I dunno, I'm gonna get the garage cleaned out and get all the summer toy stuff outta the tubs then put this thing in the back of the garage and just start tearing it down ...

I really wanna get the motor out of it sometime this week and try to figure out WTF happened, it kind of has me worried.

It just sucks so bad because when this thing runs it runs like a striped *** ape .... :(

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Funny (not really ) how they always run best right before the sheet hits the fan.
Is it possible Carl's will help???
Sorry to see it down!!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
If anyone wants this sled as-is plus every spare part I have for it, $3000 will take it.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
what really sucks is the fact you can barely get 3000 for it in running condition.:yell: i know personally...:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-dis

send it to indy dan, let him work his magic.

then ride it for the rest of your life... i think thats what im gonna have to do with both of mine, good news for me tho, they were both already in the indy shop.

whatever ya do, good luck!

ski

imho, buy a 2010 like i did and HAVE FUN!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
what really sucks is the fact you can barely get 3000 for it in running condition.:yell: i know personally...:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-dis

send it to indy dan, let him work his magic.

then ride it for the rest of your life... i think thats what im gonna have to do with both of mine, good news for me tho, they were both already in the indy shop.

whatever ya do, good luck!

ski

imho, buy a 2010 like i did and HAVE FUN!

Does he do top-end stuff too or just bottom end stuff?

I've already got his TMIII bottom end ....

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I'll give him a call and see what he thinks it'd cost me to just ship him the whole damned thing and have him go through it .... I'm HIGHLY reluctant to spend another dime on this damned thing right now :(

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Welp, started tearing the sled apart this evening.

So far I've got everything off the motor, all I have to do is drain the oil reservoir and coolent and yank the motor ...

Inspecting everything thus far, I have some kind of brown **** caked up in the exhaust ports ... I dont know what this is. It's on both cylinders though.

The oil lines leading to the crank case are both primed and full of oil, so it doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the pump. The oil pump cable was aligned properly, etc ...

I'll post some pictures of everything when I get the jugs pulled on Sunday ....

I am DEFINATLEY giving this sled a thorough cleaning. I had thought I cleaned it up pretty well at the start of the season but it's dirty as hell again after only two rides :(

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
If its really dirty after two rides you might be blowing oil someplace then everything is sticking to it causing it to get dirty. Is the brown stuff in the exhaust like soot?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Dogmeat,

I composed a big post about your luck and what not... but then deleted it. My only advise, which I think was the advise the last time, was to not spend another penny on the thing.

sled_guy

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
If its really dirty after two rides you might be blowing oil someplace then everything is sticking to it causing it to get dirty. Is the brown stuff in the exhaust like soot?

Not really, it's sort of sticky even ...

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Dogmeat,

I composed a big post about your luck and what not... but then deleted it. My only advise, which I think was the advise the last time, was to not spend another penny on the thing.

sled_guy

That's kind of where I'm at ..

Like I said, if somone came along and offered me $3000 for it as is they'd take it.

heh :)

As it stands now I'm probably gonna have to get it running again just to have any hope of selling it.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
Not to hijack the thread, but just throwing this out there... If anyone is looking for a motor, I just rebuilt my 06 motor from the ground up. 2400 total miles on the engine, had new pistons at 900 miles. About 50 miles ago it went down on me, so I did the 32mm crank kit, new pistons, new reeds, new everything except cases and cylinders(were perfect when I pulled them off). I am wanting to plant a boosted 4 stroke in the chassis. I don't know what it's worth to somebody, but the SLP pipe, can, head, ecu, wiring, this and that could all go with the motor. Again, just throwing it out there to see if I can't help a fellow 900'r out!

-steel

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Friend of mine tore into the bottom end of the motor.

The motor had maybe 300 miles on the new top-end. It was using oil when it croaked, or at least it appeared to be. It was running flawlessly right up until it seized.

Here's pics:

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

Suffice to say, I'm done with this sled. I'm gonna email Indy Dan to see what he would charge to just do the whole motor for me (mag side cylinder needs replated too) but I am willing to bet he'd want several thousand dollars and Im not about to spend that on it.

I'm gonna go pick the sled up sometime in the next couple weeks and strip it down to the bulkhead and part it out and sell it, so if there is something anyone wants off of it let me know. I'm done with it.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
DM...Sorry to hear about your chitty luck.

That looks like an Indy Specialties FULL billet crank.

Wondering what gave up??

Did you loose a piston and scatter debris in the bottom end?

Do you have a pic of the Mag Side Crank throws/rod?

I'm sure that Indy Dan (Indy Specialties) will work with you on a solution to the problem.

Good luck Bruddah!!

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
??????????????

Yeah Aaron, where are the piston picture ???

all the pictures you have of the bottom-end you have showen don't show anything wrong other then a Mag rod drag mark on the case ??? did the rod bearing fail ?? or was piston material just dragged under the rod ??

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
PTO end bearings

Aaron, I think you got the first TM 3 Full Billet I sold & if you deside to rebuild the top-end again you should send me the bottom-end and I will update it to the triple PTO bearing and no-charge to you and I check the rest over to make sure there is no metal in the bearing from that Mag piston.

Dan

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah Aaron, where are the piston picture ???

all the pictures you have of the bottom-end you have showen don't show anything wrong other then a Mag rod drag mark on the case ??? did the rod bearing fail ?? or was piston material just dragged under the rod ??

Dan

Dan, here are the pics I took of the motor right after I pulled it out of the sled. The motor is at a friend's house in Colorado right now. I will have to see if he can take more pics of anything specific you would like to see.

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

But, the connecting rod bearing did fail. You can waggle th rod back and forth about 1/8" or so. PTO end appears to be just fine.

At first what I thought caused this was a reed failure, the intake manifold on the MAG side was dirty as hell, the PTO side was totally clean when I took the cylinders off the motor. Upon inspecting the reeds, they were just fine. We're kind of trying to figure out where that black plastic junk came from, it might have been the crank seal ...?

Premium Features