• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Latest Snowest Article about Ski Doo 850

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I read the subject article and I agreed with some of their 16 reasons. However, I rode an 18 165 850 for a day last winter and I was disappointed with it. I had previously rode the Gen 3 in 154 and 174 so I was excited about the Gen 4 850. I didn’t like the way that it handled at all compared to the Gen 3. The motor is great as is the track. I just could not get used to the handling. Since it was a dealer demo, I finally just quit trying since I didn’t want to crash it. I have been a Polaris rider so maybe I was just too used to the Axys. I rode snowbike for two seasons and I was looking at getting a sled for 19. I ended up snowchecking the new Polaris 850. I would have bought a Ski Doo if I liked it. Again, please understand that I may have had too much time on an Axys to really figure out the Gen 4. However, the Axys chassis is intuitive for me. It just is more comfortable and easy to ride.......for me. Good choices this year from all three mountain sled manufacturers. Have fun!

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
You are correct. Going from a Poo to riding a Gen 4, there is a learning curve. My three previous sleds before the Gen 4 were two Pro's and one AXYS. Big difference between the sleds. In fact, when I put my buddy on the Gen 4 after riding my Poo's, he over road the sled bad. For three days it seemed as though he'd never ridden a sled, and he's been riding 30 years. I now have two Gen 4's, a 2017 165" and a 2018 175". To date, these are the best sleds I've owned. Both sleds have had ZERO issues. Very impressed. Am thinking the Poo 850 will be impressive as well. Love the competition. Ride what suits ya best.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I've spent more time on the Proclimb chassis than the Gen 4 or the Axys, but I've had all 3. I didn't overly enjoy the Axys. Mostly for what seemed to be a lack of power. I also had some electrical issues and fouled some plugs that didn't make me overly happy about my purchase. When I hopped on my buddies 17 154 X I fell in love. It came so natural and felt so much more fun to ride than the Axys. I sold everything I had and bought a 17 165 SP. My only regret is not getting a 154 Freeride.. but that's the plan for my next one. :face-icon-small-hap I love these sleds so much. I doubt I'll ride anything different for a long time. Maybe if Polaris can build a reliable/durable machine I'll go back to them.. but right now I'm having too much fun on the Gen 4 to worry about it.

Last edited:
Premium Features