• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cleaning exhsust valves questions

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
18 XCR 600.
My exhaust valves only have vacumn lines to them no electrics.
I can take these out to the bench and not need to recalibrate with electronic wrench? CORRECT
Do you have to take the plastic cover off and clean the oily out from under the diaphragm?
Reason to clean is the carbon buildup off of the guillotines right?
If I don't have to take apart to clean guillotine (minor carbon able to get off with scotch brite pad)
Figure why bother taking apart if the oil under diaphragm is a no issue

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Yes, no recal on that style. It is easy enough not to just clean it all. Once the diaphragm is clean inspect them for any tears.

bkpa

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2012
Hartford, S.D.
What does it take to clean them on a 2017 800 PRO? I think her 2016 600 is like the PRO Chassis, correct? I have to do them both soon.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Actually, you do not need to do a "relearn" on the E-VES unless you replace the actuator. I changed everything (new exhaust valves, cable, cylinder block) except the acuator when put my BMP 860 kit in and just out of curiosity, I had the dealer do a relearn. The tech came out and asked why as everything was in spec per DW. Every time you start the sled it does a quick "relearn". The cable is NOT adjustable in any way.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
What he said, the cable is not adjustable. I have taken many off and replaced many with no recal. I suppose it is possible but has never happen to us. We have even replaced the valves with zero issues. Very simple to pop off the cable from the actuator then remove the valves for cleaning.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
After doing the valve cleaning on the complete motor build and (replacing) the cable- (yes it is non adjustable). Sled started fine..
For grins I took it to the dealer and the the re-learn settings were pulled up on the DW was preformed-.. It was not in spec according to the lead Mech- said he had to clear a code which I never seen on my PIDD-
My original cable was in good shape-only replaced it cause the motor was down for the summer and made perfect sense to replace with new.

Did not replace the actuator. The actuator does a quick relearn as posted above, and I don't know if there is tolerance spec on overall cable length- but there is a free play limitation...
Anyhoo- I am glad I took the extra step and the relearn. Who know's what Q.A.Q.C. ( Quality Assurance -Quality Control) they ( the cable) goes through where ever Polaris gets them from- I shutter to think.................and don't trust just it sadly, because it's an OEM part doesn't make it 100% anymore.

Last edited:
Premium Features