• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steel Lower Gear for 2016 M8?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I have a 16 M8 and I am planning on changing the oil in the chaincase.

I have read the aluminum sprockets wear out quickly.

Is there a steel lower sprocket you can use on the 16?

I believe in 16 they changed to a Hyvo chain and sprockets, so you can't use the steel sprocket for the 12-15s

Does Arctic Cat make it? Part #? Is the 3602-024 18 mountain cat lightweight sprocket steel?

I see TEAM makes a HYVO kit and here is just the sprocket: Can you use this with the Arctic Cat chain and top sprocket?

https://venomproducts.com/index.php/parts-catalog/product/snow-sprocket-930176-013

Or do you have to get the kit?

https://venomproducts.com/index.php...rocketchain-kit-for-proclimb-1950-2014-520906

Thanks!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I wouldn't worry about the life expectancy of the aluminum sprocket.
Yes it wears as it breaks in but then it is matched to the chain and ur good.
I personally have not seen or heard of an actual sprocket failure.
Tensioner failures, yes.
They have been out since 2014.

mk2g60

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, NH
www.shock-tech.com
I have a 16 M8 and I am planning on changing the oil in the chaincase.

I have read the aluminum sprockets wear out quickly.

Is there a steel lower sprocket you can use on the 16?

I believe in 16 they changed to a Hyvo chain and sprockets, so you can't use the steel sprocket for the 12-15s

Does Arctic Cat make it? Part #? Is the 3602-024 18 mountain cat lightweight sprocket steel?

I see TEAM makes a HYVO kit and here is just the sprocket: Can you use this with the Arctic Cat chain and top sprocket?

https://venomproducts.com/index.php/parts-catalog/product/snow-sprocket-930176-013

Or do you have to get the kit?

https://venomproducts.com/index.php...rocketchain-kit-for-proclimb-1950-2014-520906

Thanks!
Yes cat has BW steel gears, first thing i swap out on my sleds. What size do you want? I can look up a pn for you tomorrow.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've kind of changed my thinking on this. There's got to be a reason cat used aluminum. Yeah rotational weight and all that but it's got to help take some of the wear away from the chain right? Double steel gears just seem like it would put more long term stress on the links.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've kind of changed my thinking on this. There's got to be a reason cat used aluminum. Yeah rotational weight and all that but it's got to help take some of the wear away from the chain right? Double steel gears just seem like it would put more long term stress on the links.

The aluminum suspended in the oil, from the wearing sprocket, working its way into the pins of the chain and causing binding is going to cause more long term issues than a steel chain on a steel gear in an oil bath.

IF the aluminum sprocket is saving the chain, IMO this is why:
-Chaincase housing is magnesium. Magnesium expands substantially with heat.
-If chain stretch/wear is at a point where the auto-tensioner can "just" click an extra tooth, or get caught on the tip of a tooth, when everything is cold then it's over tensioned when things heat up.
-The aluminum sprocket is soft enough that it can wear in as the chain gets over-tight while the case is heating back up. Thereby saving the chain from snapping or wrecking the tensioner.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The aluminum suspended in the oil, from the wearing sprocket, working its way into the pins of the chain and causing binding is going to cause more long term issues than a steel chain on a steel gear in an oil bath.

You think? Still seems like it's steel vs aluminum and we know who wins that battle. I guess I could see the bits as just general sedimentation not allowing the pivots to move as freely.

Agreed on the auto adjust/wear.

I don't know that that I'm right, just kind of what I've been thinking.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Any sprocket material will wear out if the chain stretches...that simple. The chain pitch will dictate the sprocket pitch. I have seen new steel sprockets installed with worn chains and the sprocket is worn out immediately.

Aluminum works great for sprockets, but it more expensive. Yes, rotational weight is reduced too. Aluminum is much more expensive and non-corrosive as compared to steel.

One last point...the design constraint and highest stress occurs at the shaft interface, not the chain to sprocket interface. But the sprockets do wear out if the chain is stretched.

Premium Features