• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Ascender Platform and 800 Ctec!

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
I'm scratching my head here on what everyones bitch is about the current plastics. Is it just the weight? Because i have never had a problem getting to what i need to get too. Yea pulling the hood is a bit of an effort. But do you guys really want to go back to the flop open hoods of the past?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I agree the change looks on par with what Polaris did to the Axys...better more powerful engine and some changes in configuration. This looks pretty good and a Mountain Cat with 6-8 more hp will likely beat the current DOO and Poo climbing because what I saw with the '17s is the current MC is already pretty much doing that due to a great track and approach angle. I'd like to see cat do more with weight just because I think it would help the fat cat perception and sell more sleds but at least 15lbs would be a decent start. The weight evaluation I saw had the '17 MC within 15 lbs of the G4 wet weight and about 30+ over the Axys wet. 15 is a good start if that pans out. Not bad! Just might keep them in the hunt.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I'm scratching my head here on what everyones bitch is about the current plastics. Is it just the weight? Because i have never had a problem getting to what i need to get too. Yea pulling the hood is a bit of an effort. But do you guys really want to go back to the flop open hoods of the past?

My bitch is weight, fitment and difficulty to remove. Compare my Axys...total hood and sidepanel difference is 11 pounds under my '15 PC. That's ridiculous right on top where you don't want it. I can remove my Axys side panels and hood in less than 30 seconds with no tools. No crawling around with torx screwdrivers. It's an easy, simple improvement.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
My bitch is weight, fitment and difficulty to remove. Compare my Axys...total hood and sidepanel difference is 11 pounds under my '15 PC. That's ridiculous right on top where you don't want it. I can remove my Axys side panels and hood in less than 30 seconds with no tools. No crawling around with torx screwdrivers. It's an easy, simple improvement.

Agreed, say what ya want but the ease of taking the hood and panels off an Axys is so awesome and handy... Wish the other brands would follow suite

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
No game changer but I like the improvements and will be a contender next year for sure. I'm up for a new one

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
One thing people do not take into consideration when comparing the Polaris hood and plastics to the cat hood plastics is that the Polaris intake stays on the snowmobile. when you take the cat hood off that is also the intake so add a few more pounds for the intake and the cat hood is not as far off.

GS6

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario

My biggest problem with the current plastics has been snow intake. I have siliconed up every hole I can find, frog skinz'd all vents and make sure panels are all locked in. Doesnt matter what I try my steering box gets so full of snow it locks up the steering. Mind you it is much colder where ai ride than most of you western guys. The snow in eastern Canada is crazy light and granular. Gets so tight the steering boots puff out like balloons.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Either way, I'm super pumped for the 18s and the new engine. I'm totally into being a guinea pig on an 18.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana

Actually YES! Talk to any mechanic or work on your own sled & hell yes, bring back the clamshell-style hoods.:decision:

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007

current panels are garbage , a quick look at doo , poo and now yam will show you what the should look like.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
One thing people do not take into consideration when comparing the Polaris hood and plastics to the cat hood plastics is that the Polaris intake stays on the snowmobile. when you take the cat hood off that is also the intake so add a few more pounds for the intake and the cat hood is not as far off.

GS6

Bout 2.8lbs without the ECU

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I too really don't have a problem with the current plastics. Nice and sturdy, plenty of factory venting, go on and off easily, fit very well, love the look. Sometimes though when I'm layed over really far they do cause the sled to panel. The new plastics will help solve this problem, but still not a big enough deal for me to hate them as others seem to so much.

Now the panels on both my Pro's I hated:) Flimsy pos's, bowed and fit like crap. In fact all the plastic was flimsy, pull the rope and the whole side twisted and moved. Those twisty clips had to be the worst invention made by man. After a couple of hits to the front the tabs didn't line up anymore. Now those are some panels I can hate!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
They drag in the snow

They let in way too much snow

It's a friggin erector set to actually work on the sled

And every time I'm on the left side on something really steep, pondering how the hell I got there and how I'm going to get out of there, the clutch rubs all over the plastic

Don't get me wrong skidoo isn't much better but polaris is killing it in the plastics. That's certainly the standard.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest

I just like the quick removal on the new panels that don't require tools, just much more intuitive, not necessarily a deal breaker on a purchase, but I do feel that is something they should have addressed long ago. This new regime at Cat is fixing the old managements mess, old mgmt lost touch with the "Voice of the Customer" I finally see them moving forward, and am excited for what the future has in store.

-Stack

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
Looks great. I'm glad to see them building on a platform that works well and keeps up with the competition without being made of rice paper and glue.

Sent from my Palm Pilot

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I think I agree 20-30 lbs isn't a big deal from a real world performance/handling perspective. Design configuration matters a lot more. But like it or not weight does matter when it comes to sales. The perception that weight matters on the snow is overrated but perception is reality when it comes to what people choose to buy and as a result it has hurt the marketability of the Cat sleds. I'd like to see Cat stay competitive i.e. in business so it gives us all another good option. I think they're in denial if they don't play the weight game to some extent. People want to think they are buying the best technology and weight is part of that equation.

Premium Features