• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crooked Creek vs. Togwotee

S
Oct 23, 2008
ak/mn
Has anyone stayed at both of these places?

I have been to TML the past three years and was looking to maybe switch it up this year and try a new place, crooked creek lodge.

My question is:

Is the snow depth and riding areas similiar to Togwotee at Crooked? I can save myself $180 by staying at Crooked vs Togwotee but if I have to ride 45 mins on the trail to get to the powder then I think I would rather stay at TML.

We will be out there from Jan 1st to Jan 8th.

Any input would be helpful, thanks

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
Been staying at Togwotee since 96, have stayed at Crooked Creek. I perfer Tog, snow can be a little thin down the CD some times.

S

Swing2827

Feb 21, 2008
Dubois, WY
I would stay at Tog if you are debating between the two places. Alot of times the snow conditions around union pass can be a little iffy and you would end up riding the 40 minutes to get to good snow anyway. So if the difference is only $180 you got everything you need at Tog.

S
Oct 23, 2008
ak/mn
What if the difference between tml and a cabin in the union pass is 300 per person? Together all three of us could save 900? We are really debating staying in the union pass area. Thoughts?

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
I've stayed at crooked creek a couple years and I've always found enough snow to get stuck:face-icon-small-hap I'm not an awsome mountain rider but we've always been able to be challenging and have fun. For the differance it price I'd stay there. Just my two cents, Clint

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
It's a cool place. We stayed there back in '02 & '03 & had fun, but probably won't go back unless it's to ATV in the summer. We had a guide & he showed us lots of good meadow riding & some little hills down by crooked creek. There is some great riding down there, but pretty flat. My opinion is that the "good stuff" is up by TML.

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
2 for Lava!!!! closer to the better snow.. and friendlier staff !!

You might also look at Lava Mtn Lodge http://www.lavamountainlodge.com/

The trails out can be kind of rough in low snow years, but it is closer to the better snow and less $$$.

I third that. We stayed up on union pass at the Sawmill, riding is hit and miss. There are some decent meadows and some smaller climbs to do, but nothing compared to Tog. We are now staying at LML from now on, awesome staff and good riding rite out the back door, plus it is not a far drive to Tog. Also you have the opportunity to tip a few Coors back with Cowboy Jim at LML, that guy is a riot!

S
Oct 23, 2008
ak/mn
thats what we were wondering, I will relay the info to my other riding partners. Might have to suck it up and pay to play in this situation.

I will check out Lava Mountain though, thanks.

S
Oct 23, 2008
ak/mn
Checked out the Lava Mountain and I really like the looks, location and price. We are thinking about doing a half and half.

Half the time at TML and the other half try Lava Mountain.

Thanks for the tip on that place, looks like a good deal.

J

jkpolaris

Nov 27, 2007
the snow on crooked creek side is usually low that time of the year last year we were there the first week of jan and stayed at lava mountain and the snow was low but there was no snow at crooked creek!
if you stay at lava mountain jim is awesome hes the old man who fixes everything and you can get tp great riding over at brooks lake lodge which is only 5 miles up the road and last year they had good snow up top and if you want a good guie go to brooks lake lodge and ask for joe hes cheap for a guide and cool good rider as well he will take you to spots no 1 has been to that early in the year!
good luck
joe

M
Sep 25, 2010
Isle, MN
CC does have some really good riding, but yes it is dependant on snow fall. We personally saddle up for a 20mi ride to get away from the masses and some better riding. I have found TML to be a little too "commercial", tons of ppl and the trails are generally in bad shape from the amount of traffic. My best advice is try some place new to you. There is nothing like unlocking the secrets of a new area.

My boss and I had been going to Union Pass since 00' and last year they just didnt have the snowfall to bring us out that far. (we live in MN) We decided to go to the snowies on a report from a fell who bought a slead we were selling. We made our first trip late november I belive and it was A+ awesome. I made 3 more trips back and he managed to get 4 trips back to the snowies. Our last being in May...
We were like kids in a candy store, that range is great and if one area is lacking snow all you have to do is hop on the trail for 30 min and you are sure to find freash snow.

My advice, dont set anything in stone. Call to check snow reports and go from there but definatley do try something new even if its only half of the trip. Best luck-Mark
PS- look me up if you would like some info on the CC area.

Last edited:

Hail Yea

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2010
Mark Bruzeks Boss

I am Mark's boss and I would would agree with him 100%. Togwotee is too busy and the trails get pounded as well as a lot of the nice riding areas. Go to Union Pass mid Jan but head to The Snowies early season.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Yep I say go to the snowies leave the fresh snow for me at tog.:face-icon-small-hap
We stay at cc The trail ride up to tog is cool maybe a couple times out of 9 days, but it gets old so then we just trailer up rest of the time. Last year we had to ride on a little snirt to get up there but whatever, were from mn so were used to that.

F
Nov 28, 2007
Lava Mt. is very nice good food nice people. It is only like 8 mile from LML to brooks lake if you take the ditch. I will not stay at Tog. agian.

I

iq 700

Dec 8, 2008
Cromwell mn
we stayed at lava the end of last month for the first time and will never go anywhere else again. that place is sweet great people great food great place :thumb:

Premium Features