• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

boosted apex vs boosted nytro, need help!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Sorry for another "apex vs nytro" thread guys!!! Heres what im lookin at, already own an 06 apex mtn (bone stock) that I love to ride in the deep! Was gunna get a nytro and throw an impusle kit on it because of the rider forward/boondock style of the chasssis, and all the bottom end grunt that the nytro has!

Or do I just boost up the apex with the impulse kit? For the riding that I do I really like alot of bottom end grunt, dead standstill stop and go through the trees on and off the throttle style riding, not so much the point and shoot like what the boosted apex is best at.

Sounds like the nytro is better suited but I guess my main ? is the nytro worth the extra coin? Mainly looking for the extra bottom end grunt, how much more does it have over the apex when boosted up? Just wanna go standard kit not really big boost (12-14 lbs max is all Id ever need around here) After riding my 1200 WC I really love the torque that it has. Local dealer has some 09 MTX's for about 8K OTD, but 8K would build up my apex pretty well too! Kinda torn guys thanks for the opinions!!!!!!!!!!

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
Just boost the apex! Its a 50/50 thing, half the guys i talk to still like the lower center of the apex! They find the nytro 2 top heavy.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
IMO it depends on what you used to riding and what type of ride you like. If you came of a rev/xp the nytro is similar in comparison. Personally after riding revs for so many years I just dont feel comfortable on the apex. Feels like I am fighting it all the time. I have spent alot of seat time on numerous sleds with different set ups boost/non boosted and the nytro felt like more what I was used to.

Seat time is the biggest selling point in finding out what will "suit" you best.

Either way boost is addicting!

GL

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Nytro Baby! I have an '09 with an MCX kit and run up to 15 lbs of boost at 11,000 feet and the thing is insane. The sled is an awesome boondocker but when you hit the throttle you are gooooooooone. I came off of 5 years of rev's and it was such an easy transition. Don't get me wrong, I love the apex but the rider forward is where I feel the most comfortable. You will not go wrong with either but I'm here to tell ya, there is not alot of Nytro guys that would give up their sled once it was boosted. Good luck with the decision but I'd go with the Nytro.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Everyone has an opinion but if it's bottom end power you're worried about you aren't going to have any lack of it with an Impulse Apex. If you were going MCXpress I might be concerned, but with a front or midmount turbo the throttle response is explosive to say the least. Either way you're sled is going to kill it.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
thanks for the opinions guys! Im really used to the prox polaris chassis both twin and tripple so the rider forward sled is what im comfortable with, I dont dislike my apex by any means! Its just more of a money thing of I already have the apex, so to go and buy a new sled agin to boost it up is alot more money in the long run! Guess its gunna boil down to how much coin I wanna spend! Thanks agin!!!

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I'd say save your money and do the Apex. I had a Nytro and an Apex and I stuck with the Apex. I even boosted the Nytro thinking I'd get use to it... I didn't. I've boosted the Apex with a MCX kit running pump gas at 12-15 lbs and I love it.

Have fun deciding. I wish I'd done the Apex and never gotten the Nytro... I'd be money ahead.:)

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
Having owned both sleds boosted if you like the apex and your ok with the size and weight just boost the apex.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Having owned both sleds boosted if you like the apex and your ok with the size and weight just boost the apex.

What kills me is there are alot of die hard skidoo and cat guys around here. But when its over the hood powder through the trees or on the mtn they cant seem to out highmark me or loose me in the trees?:D Anything less than a 162 and I kill em! But yet im only about 155 lbs!!!

But mostly all of em who cant blow me away (its usually a toss up as to who is higher on the hill 99% of the time) tell me how much of a heavy POS my yammi is (and none of them have ridden one!) So a nice mild 12-14lbs of boost should make things a bit more lonely for me!

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
Another vote for the Nytro!! I came off an XP and rode Doo's for years. I'm not really into climbing (yet:D), but spend the majority of my days boonin' in the trees with my boosted Nytro and wouldn't trade it for anything. After trying out Paul's new Impulse PG turbo in Revy last weekend...that is what I'll be riding next year (even though the wife may divorce me for building another sled:confused:). The new system has incredible low end grunt compared to other brands that I've tried and will be perfect for my style of riding...not to mention you can also become a "Billy Goat" too:D!! I definitely don't find the Nytro top heavy at all...I can maneuver it and manage my balance point every bit as good as my XP.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
I would boost the Apex. The Impulse midmount standard or race kit is VERY responsive on the Apex. That being said it won't have the bottom end "grunt" a Impulse Nytro will. I've tried to make the Nytro grow on me, but when it comes down to it the Apex is a better fit for me.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Both have their perks. Apex is more traditional whereas the nytro is a rider forward "twitchier" chassis. Having had both, i like the nytro but it is harder to get comfortable on compared to the apex for some. Like mentioned, the impulse nytro is stupid responsive and fast for what it is but the apex is hard to beat as well when setup right. If i were you and already have an apex, i would rock the apex and take the 8k you were going to spend on a nytro and go crazy on the apex. Boost is boost and is fun no matter what yamaha chassis you are on, and reliable too!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Im thinkin take the extra money from bying a new nytro and lighten it up some, should be money well spent!!! Cant wait for summer to be over now!!!!

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Apex

I agree with mattymac. After many years on rev chassis and then going to Nytro I love the Nytro BUT, if I were in your situation I'd boost the Apex and then spend the $8,000 on making it an even better sled.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Matty its about time, For a guy like your self thats into the big power i cant believe you waited this long to boost it.And trust me you wont be running 12 psi for long. I to cant stand the ride of the Nytro.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Matty its about time, For a guy like your self thats into the big power i cant believe you waited this long to boost it.And trust me you wont be running 12 psi for long. I to cant stand the ride of the Nytro.

No kidding!!! I only ran my cat at 9 lbs for two seasons, never once turned up the wick on it!! Its long overdue on the apex, but I guess the motor is nice and broke in for crankin it up!!!

standard impulse apex kit, 162 EZ ryde, 2.5 CE, might have to see how that new frontend that ashbrook is makin looks and give it a shot, Axis shocks...

summer is gunna be long!!!!!!!!!!!!

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I cant comment on which chassis but I have a front mount RX1 and at 10 lbs boost I can get a 1200 cat out of the hole so throttle response with the impulse kit on an apex would be more than enough.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Having seat time on both my finding is that after a long day riding i am always more tired riding the apex. The nytro just takes less effort for me to ride apex takes a little more muscle to ride IMHO

Nytro mcx 14lbs
Apex super 12 lbs
They are very close in power

Premium Features