• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Here's a stupid question for everyone ...

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, so what should have been the most phenomenally easy part of this project (replacing spindles and shocks on my 900) has turned into be the only part of it I can't complete.

I took the old spindles off with the skis still attatched, not thinking anything about it because I've removed skis off the 06' IQ sleds numerous times in 2 feet of snow to test adjustments, help out a friend ;), whatever ....

And I have _NEVER_ seen this happen nor even thought it would happen.

Anyways I go to button everything back up, the skis being the last thing to go on the new spindles before I go to set the camber and toe-in ....

.....remove the nylock nut on the inside of the ski bolt .... and ...

smack. The bolt is stuck beyond belief. Now mind you, it will still spin freely. However, I cannot even BEGIN to get it to budge to pull it out. I've probably sprayed 1/2 a bottle of PB Blaster around all portions of the spacers, threaded end sticking out, everywhere ... I've beat on it with a rubber hammer, steel hammer, I even took the torch to it to mildly heat it up to see if I could get the rubber to expand and let the bolt more easily come out ... and ...

Nothing. Nada. Zilch. The thing will rotate freely but it is completley stuck in there, won't even so much as budge.

So, now, with tomorrow being the day before christmas, I either have to find an autoparts store that is open and buy big *** ball join press or something to press this thing out, or see if the local Polaris shop might be able to juse press them out for me somehow.

So far pressing this out is the only thing I can think of, because I have to have skis to get the sled in the trailer :) .....

Anybody got any other ideas ?

heh this is so much fun :mad:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Beat on it will turning...best if ya can put an impact on it and keep hitting it but it should work with a buddy if you get him to swing while you turn...try different things while doing it..ski pressure,,,no pressure etc...just to possibly take into account worn part in bolt hanging up...ONCE A LITTLE WIGGLE ROOM HAPPENS YOU CAN THEN PRY UNDER BOLT HEAD WHILE TURNING AND HITTING...REMEMBER IF YOU CANT DAZZLE IT WITH FINESSE USE BRUTE STRENGTH AND IGNORANCE

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
Maybe try a vice and a bigger hammer.

sledgehammer.jpg

A
Dec 11, 2007
Try using a deep socket that fits the head,a large C clamp,a little heat and tap the treaded end of the C clamp with pressure added to the end of the bolt. Be sure to push straight as bending it would be real mess!!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
create your own press, bottlejack pressing into old socket or something laying around. You can do amazing things with blocks, bottle jack, and the rear reciever hitch on your truck.

sounds like frozen sleeve inside where bolt slide in between ski craddle. I am sure of that.... Even thou you assume that bolt is turning free but it turns with sleeve so that is probably real culprit on frozen sleeve on bolt where you might not able to see from outside.....

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
create your own press, bottlejack pressing into old socket or something laying around. You can do amazing things with blocks, bottle jack, and the rear reciever hitch on your truck.

SCORE! I'm gonna give that a try, I have a 4-ton floor jack and a set of deep sockets, that might be just what I need!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
floor jack + receiver hitch didn't work.

c-clamp didn't work.

I'm screwed :(

I guess I'm just gonna have to swap skis with the other sled until I can get the new ones on later tonight:mad:

f-ing rediculous :mad:

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Have you tried to heat it up and then knock it out? If all else fails (sounds like it already has) you could drill it out.

I
Sep 19, 2005
harlem montana
There is only one way. The sleeve the bolt is inside turns free, bolt is rusted inside sleeve. Cut bolt with a hacksaw or sawzall on both sides of spindle, push sleeve out, put sleeve on solid iron(anvil), pound out bolt, get new bolt.

S

Spector

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
I just went thru this. Bolt frozen in sleeve. I had to cut the bolt off on both sides. Pressing it in a 12 ton press with heat freed up one of them but I had to drill the other bolt out very carefully in a drill press. Start small and work up to just under sized. I drilled from both sides to try to minimize any off center problems. I then was able to catch a bit of the remaining bolt and 'peel' it out with a punch. Came out nice and clean. Grade 5 bolt will get you back and running

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
i'll repeat what they have already said. cut the bolt, then heat the sleeve and pound the bolt out. have had to do this to many sleds ridden in iowa, from all the salt on the shoulders of the roads.

can you cut both ends of bolt inside craddle with hacksaw then you should be able to get ski out leaving bolt inside spindle since you need skis now and if you want to reuse spindle for a spare if it is in good condition, spray good amount of penetrating oil or WD40 or Justice Brother, and let it soak for a couple of hours, may need to try at least several times if you have patience, maybe bolt will finally slide out with a good whack?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I am SOL on this.

I have tried everything within my power to get these out and they are not coming, and as of now I've completley destroyed one ski just trying to point blank cut the damned things out of there.

I don't have a drill press or a hydraulic press, and nowhere is open until Monday, so I guess I am not riding this weekend :(:rolleyes:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Yeah, I have seen this more than once!! The bolt gets RUSTED solid to the inner sleeve in the spindle. It turns because It breaks the rubber that the sleeve was molded into. I broke a press trying to get a bolt off of a 93 cat jag spindle. Through it on your drill press and drill the bolt out. You are replacing your spindles right? If not be careful not to ruin that inner sleeve with a drill bit that is to big. This is way I take my skis off at the end of the season and grease the $H)T out of the bolts. Not just the skis either, I do that with every bolt that doesn't have a grease zerk on it. Including both clutches. Yes I grease my drive clutch and crank and NO I have never had it slip! It still sticks on there like crazy.

G

Gimpster

Had some rusted stuff before that nothing would remove. Usually PB Baster sprayed on then heated will draw it into the rust and bust it up.
Had a ball mount on a receiver hitch stuck in once that baffled me.
After some thinking, when everything was tried, I figured moisture causes rust. I soaked it in water and it came loose after the water broke down the rust

just a thought

----- Gimpster -----

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
The same thing happened to me. What should have been a 10 minute ski change turned out to be 4 or 5 hours. I destroyed a saddle. I don't remember how I got them out so I can't help you there, but I can tell you that they got a lot of grease when they went back together.

Premium Features