• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Breaking in sled w/ turbo

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
2017 RMK Pro 800, 155" 2.6 (with QD) Silber Turbo (non-intercooled).

Sled is brand new, 0 miles, only started to unload from truck. Installed a Silber turbo kit. Tank already has the added VES Gold. I made sure the turbo was primed w/ oil etc.

Is Polaris still recommending 100 trail miles to break in the QD belt? My old snocross sleds, we'd break them in the right way, on the dyno.

My plan: run the 3psi spring, do some road riding ~30-50 miles, varying throttle input...Stop every so often to let the engine cool, to get some good heat cycles and let the rings seat properly..and get some good heat cycles in the QD belt..also, check all hose clamps etc.

Most of my riding is between 5'-8'k, plan on running the 5psi spring for the majority of the winter. Planning to run ~30% av fuel (100oct) w/ 92oct from a top-tier gas station, aka: Shell.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I just did a full rebuild top to bottom on my 2013 pro turbo and broke it in on the trail ride in on 10psi just making sure to vary throttle positions and then held it pinned in the backcountry when I got there. Im a full believer in breaking them in how you ride them normally. Few easy miles to make sure nothing is wrong and then go for it. Havnt had any issues with any of the sleds ive rebuilt to date Mix in some oil into the tank in case of air bubbles and good to go.

MikeM1000

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2011
at least 3 heat cycles till thermostat opens and tunnel warms up then sit and cool off completely between. then variable throttle first few miles till good snow becomes available and then ride it. it will run or it won't . if you don't get the rings to seat in then your just gone get tons of blow by.

p.s. if it don't run take the turbo off and take it back to the dealer for warranty.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I just try to not WOT for more than short bursts for the first tank {well maybe 1/2 a tank lol} and keep varying throttle potion but I also believe you should break in it like you ride {if you ride hard...break it in on the hard side of things and if you ride easy than break it in on the easy side} just my thoughts.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
From what I've read, there is no "right" but there's always what seems smarter to do lol. I've read all sorts of stuff varying from ride it easy, to hold it pinned at the parking lot. ( yeah no).

I'd take it somewhat easy the first 60 or so miles. go for a trail ride, it is early season out there after all unless your super fortunate haha. I'd vary the throttle, blip it to get the rpm up then after say 30 miles or so, do a few wide open pulls for a short time. just gotta give it some time to wear in a tad and after 60 miles take it easy on it but still enjoy your day.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Just curious, what benefit does "breaking it in how you normally ride" have? If normally you are WFO 70% of the day and that is how you break it in, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of a "break in"?

A break in can be viewed in any way. To this day there is no 100% proven method of break in to have the perfect seated rings. IMO brands tell you to take it easy and everything at first to cover their asses. Oil in the tank the first ride is a very good idea IMO because there can be air bubbles in the lines. I take it easy for a couple minutes to make sure the air bubbles go through and then I go for it. My personal belief is break it in hard and itll seat better. So no it doesnt defeat the purpose of a break in because I wouldnt really say there is such thing as a "proper" break in. If you dont get the rings to seat properly right away then you arent going to have a long lasting top end which is why my opinion is ride it like you stole it.

Just my .02 cents take it how you will

Premium Features