• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 800 V Doo 850

H
Nov 27, 2007
Pleasant View Utah
Just wondering if anyone has done a serious comparison between these two machines. I'm on a turbo Axys but I am looking at buying a new sled for my son. He has been on a pro for 5 yrs and is a very skilled rider. He seems to be leaning toward trying an 850 over the Axys but I have never been on one, and have heard they are a much different ride than a poo and that they do not hold a side hill like the more rigid chassis sleds. Please don't make this a bashing thread, looking for some true perspective from guys who have been on both machines. Thanks!

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
I ride a 154 850 and love it, i have ridden both sleds. The 850 takes a day or so to get used to but once you do it is a blast to ride. My 154 dosent hold a line on a sidehill as well as a pro, you have to be on your A game on steep sidehills with my 154. The 165 does make sidehilling much less prone to washing out though. The power of the 850 is awesome on the bottom end, more so than the pro. Either sled will be a good one in my opinion, just depends on how you like to ride.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
They ride completely different but I'm going to take a different angle. I was a blank slate when I bought my first sled, a 14 Summit X. I still have that and bought a 17 850 but that's bedside the point. Here's my point. When I walked into the dealer who through a family member I was able to talk directly with the owner. This dealer carries all 4 brands. I told him I was leaning Doo but being new still open to the Poo.

He said 2 things one of which really struck home. Yes he and his family all ride Doo but here's what got me. Doo honors their warranties far better. Fast forward to the end of last season. Last ride and spring snow so opted to take my 14 with the shorter 154 track. We ride with a Doo mechanic and since I have over 4,000 non issue miles on the 14 I said hey, can you just take this, do what it needs (top end for instance) and I'll get it later. He said sure and took it with him. This sled ran great fyi. Tore it apart and there was just a little scaring on the cylinder and cylinder walls. He said he would just put in new cylinders but what the hell, let's try warranting it. Now this is the very end of a 4 year warranty with a shed at well over 4,000 miles. We didn't think there was a chance. We were wrong. Doo warrantied everything! Basically a new top end. I compare this to a buddy battling with Poo on a blown engine still well within warranty and having no luck at all.

This to me ahead of riding preferences ect makes me, and probably forever, go with Doo.

I know this wasn't directly answering but I just feel very important on decision making with the price of sleds and the repairs they sometimes need

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I ride a 154 850 and love it, i have ridden both sleds. The 850 takes a day or so to get used to but once you do it is a blast to ride. My 154 dosent hold a line on a sidehill as well as a pro, you have to be on your A game on steep sidehills with my 154. The 165 does make sidehilling much less prone to washing out though. The power of the 850 is awesome on the bottom end, more so than the pro. Either sled will be a good one in my opinion, just depends on how you like to ride.

I have a 14XM and a 15PRO and I feel the same. I have more fun on my XM in mediocre snow conditions and spring riding, but it does not ride technical lines close to as well. Lots of washout and hard to keep the skis down, no matter what adjustment it seems. I've heard the new 165s are much much better though, and when I've ridden my friend's 850, the low end torque feels awesome.

compound 1300

Premium Member
Mar 15, 2010
zortman montana
800 Axys V 850 Doo

I snochecked a 17 165x3 850 I rode it for 180 miles and was very disappointed with it. It’s very heavy, even after putting a hps can on it. will not side hill very easily it tends to want to washout, the 3 inch track made it push through the skis even with suspension adjustments. It wants to follow any track in the snow rather than cutting is own. It wanted to trench rather than get on top of the snow I had no belt issues, it starts very easy, fit and finish is great it just diden’t work for me it was pretty much like the 08 800 doo xp I had. I was so disappointed in it I couldn’t ride it one more time. I bought a 17 Axys 163x2.6 rode it stock for one ride it felt a little down on power but it handed so good it’s so easy to ride it will do things so much better and easier than any other sled I have ridden. Easy to tip on its side and holds a side hill line with ease. It gets on top of the snow and just keeps going I did the SLP pipe with a diamond S titanium can and ceramic coated the y-pipe which really helped with power and losing weight. I’m very happy with the Axys 800

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Last year I had both. I traded my 16 AXYS for another 850 this year. Yes, it took a day or so to get used to the Doo, but after that, I didn't want to get back on the AXYS. For me, the Doo handled a lot better. And as far as side hilling, the Doo was much easier to side hill than the AXYS. Before I bought the AXYS, I had 12 and 13 Pro's. I thought they were amazing sleds, and in their day, they were. Then I bought the AXYS and it put the Pro's to shame. Now, that's how I feel about the Doo. For my style of riding, it's just so much easier to handle. It feels just as light to ride as the AXYS in my opinion and as good as the motor felt in my AXYS, the Doo feels even better. Hence the reason I bought another one. I have the option to purchase whatever sled I want and the Doo just worked for me. The AXYS is a great sled, but for me, the Doo was a better choice. You can't go wrong with either one, but to really appreciate the Doo, you have to get some good seat time.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I own a Axys and have spent a day on a 850. The Doo is great on power, no doubt. The Axys was a big step up on power compared to the Pro. I think the Axys is stronger than a 800 XM. The big factor for me, the reason I've stayed with Poo...is the ability for the Pro and Axys to get up on the snow. It's amazing how well it continues to do that. The Doo XM was terrible for that. It trenched. Power doesn't help if a sled just trenches. The 850 is much better, but I don't think it's as good as the Axys getting up on the snow.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I snochecked a 17 165x3 850 I rode it for 180 miles and was very disappointed with it. It’s very heavy, even after putting a hps can on it. will not side hill very easily it tends to want to washout, the 3 inch track made it push through the skis even with suspension adjustments. It wants to follow any track in the snow rather than cutting is own. It wanted to trench rather than get on top of the snow I had no belt issues, it starts very easy, fit and finish is great it just diden’t work for me it was pretty much like the 08 800 doo xp I had. I was so disappointed in it I couldn’t ride it one more time. I bought a 17 Axys 163x2.6 rode it stock for one ride it felt a little down on power but it handed so good it’s so easy to ride it will do things so much better and easier than any other sled I have ridden. Easy to tip on its side and holds a side hill line with ease. It gets on top of the snow and just keeps going I did the SLP pipe with a diamond S titanium can and ceramic coated the y-pipe which really helped with power and losing weight. I’m very happy with the Axys 800
I would disagree. The 850 does not feel heavy and actually rides super light compared to the Axys. I think it sidehills and boondocks much easier than the Axys, but its not as predictable. It does tend to want to turn uphill/washout in steeper terrain more than the Axys but its much better than the XM, it is manageable once you get it figured out.

The 850 motor is awesome. Top end doesnt feel much different than the Axys but the bottom and mid range is awesome.

Doo warranty is much better as mentioned above.

The 850 I rode was a 165" 3". I rented one an spent a full day on it and loved every minute. I have spent alot of time on XPs and a few days on XMs, so the transition was easy for me, but will take a few days to get used to.

I have a 17 Axys 155" that I love, and I will likely stay with Polaris for the time being but I wouldnt hesitate to buy an 850.

I would pick the machine that fits the rider, for steep trees and such and I would go Axys, more open hills and boondocking I would get the 850.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
850 vs AXYS

I have ridden ski-doo my hole life love the reliability. First time I road a pro I was pretty disappointed. How can I ride ski-doo my hole life jump on a pro and in 15min be pulling lines I could never pull on my xm. Once you get past the gutless bottom end Learn how to stay OTP it was unreal. It's no secret ski-doo has been chasing Polaris in the trees for years. T-motion was developed for the hill climb racers & to help get the beginner riders on there side panel. With boat anchor skies so every1 could come down hills lay it on there side and go back up hill. The G4 850 is the first ski-doo that really all it needs is a fixed rear skid & clutching. I would go up against any AXYS on a 850 165 very important 165. Really it comes down to dealer support if your ski-doo dealers sucks go with Polaris if your Polaris dealer doesn't take care of you go with new cat. They just got bought by textron lots of aerospace tech just like BRP. Best thing you can do is schedule a demo ride with your dealers go pick up both Polaris & ski-doo same day same conditions. Ride em like you stole them try and blow a belt on both sleds pick your favorite & pull the trigger. Either sled you pick you'll have a blast.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I ride a Axys, couple of friends ride 850s, we swap sleds once and awhile to ride something different and maybe learn somethings.(steep and deep tree riding) Imo how you ride a Axys and how you ride a 850 is very different in technical tree riding. If you ride an Axys "burandt style"( lots of full on/off throttle with body english) the sled just seems to go where you want it to.(look where you want to go) Ride a 850 this style and sometimes I'm not 100% sure I'm going make it between them trees because the sled may go up or down the hill 6-10 ". Smooth throttle input with a little less body english and more important, foot placement is how I get a 850 to work. I personally am a aggressive rider and find the Axys more fun. One time in soft spring snow his 850(3" 3.5 pitch) just flat worked and mine trenched. (2.6 2.86 pitch). Both sleds are very capable to go anywhere you just have to ride them right. Also IMO the 850 over all is a better quality of most components of the sled(electrical, track, engine, clutch)but also more expensive.

Last edited:

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Just remember advice is worth about how much you pay for it. I would never make a decision on a sled that you don’t invest the time to ride if you are unsure. Pretty amazing machines IMO. Without question the 850 is unpredictable for me in poor conditions or tracked up snow...but I think that is more seat time and learning how to use the geometry of the sled. Warranty is all about dealer. Invest the time in a few early rides and make the decision that works for you. Don’t let me or anyone on this thread convince you our experience will be what it is going to be for you.

*edit - I have 17 850 165 and 17 Axys 163 with a sidekick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I ride a Axys, couple of friends ride 850s, we swap sleds once and awhile to ride something different and maybe learn somethings.(steep and deep tree riding) Imo how you ride a Axys and how you ride a 850 is very different in technical tree riding. If you ride an Axys "burandt style"( lots of full on/off throttle with body english) the sled just seems to go where you want it to.(look where you want to go) Ride a 850 this style and sometimes I'm not 100% sure I'm going make it between them trees because the sled may go up or down the hill 6-10 ". Smooth throttle input with a little less body english and more important, foot placement is how I get a 850 to work. I personally am a aggressive rider and find the Axys more fun. One time in soft spring snow his 850(3" 3.5 pitch) just flat worked and mine trenched. (2.6 2.86 pitch). Both sleds are very capable to go anywhere you just have to ride them right. Also IMO the 850 over all is a better quality of most components of the sled(electrical, track, engine, clutch)but also more expensive.

Nailed it

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
This sums it up to a t. Both great but you ride them different. Rider preference.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008

First off the 165 3.5 pitch skidoo track is a great track but it is a powder track only, it doesn't work in set up snow/spring snow. The lugs are just to soft and tall, they instantly fold over and then it's a lot harder to control. We all know that the 2.6 is a great all around track for powder and set up snow, it also doesn't trench much. You say that the electrical is better then why is the engine electrical harness breaking on the secondary injectors and its on back order for a month? If the engine and clutch is better then why did they have to build a wooble into the inner sheeve to damped engine harmonics, how are you supposed to squeeze the belt or even check clutch alignment! Do they even have a clutch alignment tool? They also don't even float the secondary, actually skidoo has been the worst clutched sled out of all the manufacturers, the belt get hot and blow to pieces. Skidoo has 7 or 8 updates to the 2017 summit and they are paying for 3 of them, the customer has to pay for the rest and the update does not even include the injector wiring harness. The axys is by far the best mountain chassis ever built and if you know what you are doing you can make it shine :)

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
I'm amazed at how even keeled these comments are being a Polaris thread, post over in the doo board and see what they have to say. I'm a little skeptical on how great doo is on their warranty when I knew people with lots of belt issues and a broken bulk head which neither was paid for by doo, yet a lot of fixes for MY18 to address these issues. That aside I think you need to listen to your gut. I like the AXYS and Pro before that for it's simple point and shoot ride ability myself.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
i've spent limited time on an 850. sure i could get used to it but the axys just flat out performs in the conditions i like to ride in. i have no doubts about the reliability of the doo over my axys. like anything in life, there's compromise. i gave up a little reliability for maneuverability and a move favorable power band for my thumb.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
First off the 165 3.5 pitch skidoo track is a great track but it is a powder track only, it doesn't work in set up snow/spring snow. The lugs are just to soft and tall, they instantly fold over and then it's a lot harder to control. We all know that the 2.6 is a great all around track for powder and set up snow, it also doesn't trench much. You say that the electrical is better then why is the engine electrical harness breaking on the secondary injectors and its on back order for a month? If the engine and clutch is better then why did they have to build a wooble into the inner sheeve to damped engine harmonics, how are you supposed to squeeze the belt or even check clutch alignment! Do they even have a clutch alignment tool? They also don't even float the secondary, actually skidoo has been the worst clutched sled out of all the manufacturers, the belt get hot and blow to pieces. Skidoo has 7 or 8 updates to the 2017 summit and they are paying for 3 of them, the customer has to pay for the rest and the update does not even include the injector wiring harness. The axys is by far the best mountain chassis ever built and if you know what you are doing you can make it shine :)
I know this is not wide spread problem YET, but the relay situation is going to
Be an issue, needs to be a waterproof plug and relays.( have had 3 sets in 1000 miles). Motor lost rod bearing at 1100 miles( not all the motors are bad). Took clutch off just this fall, all 3 rollers are loose(1100miles). Track has 4-6 lugs missing( this could be my fault) and cords showing on unclipped windows.( I Run ice storm scratchers)
Friend works at a Skidoo rental place and G4s with 3000 miles has better shape components then mine........I stand by my opinion!!!!! If you can tell I have No manufacturer bias. Over the years I've owned Doo, poo, and cat. I just call a spade a spade. No sled is perfect you have to take the good and the bad.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Be an issue, needs to be a waterproof plug and relays.( have had 3 sets in 1000 miles). Motor lost rod bearing at 1100 miles( not all the motors are bad). Took clutch off just this fall, all 3 rollers are loose(1100miles). Track has 4-6 lugs missing( this could be my fault) and cords showing on unclipped windows.( I Run ice storm scratchers)
Friend works at a Skidoo rental place and G4s with 3000 miles has better shape components then mine........I stand by my opinion!!!!! If you can tell I have No manufacturer bias. Over the years I've owned Doo, poo, and cat. I just call a spade a spade. No sled is perfect you have to take the good and the bad.

I agree that no sled is perfect. I remounted my relays 90 degrees upright so that water can't get in them. I'm actually not that bias but my buddy's g4 is in the shop for updates and they discovered a broken secondary injector wire harness and parts are not available for a month, he is livid as I would be to, how are parts not available at the beginning of the season? If you have ever bought a rental sled you just might change your opinion that the ski doo components are better, lol. All sleds have there flaws that can be improved upon.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

Does this mean you are suggesting that Doo hasn't had issues with the 850? :face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features