• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LOW IDLE AFTER INSTALLING V-FORCE-3R REEDS, ANYONE ELSE??

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Tell us more when you get the info SMF. Just sprayed mine at an idle and it's not a simple leak with mine.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Installed new vforce3r reeds when I installed new Indy TMX motor.

Idle was a little low-- I attributed it to assembly lube, excessive oil, and new tight motor.

250 miles in and idle seems fine-- now.

Have to do a second TMX motor and vforce3r install on Val's sled -- hoping for same results.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Just got off the phone with Steve @ Moto tassanari about the low idle on the 11 SBA I installed the 3R reeds on. Steve says the reed petals are stiff when new and will loosen up in about 100 miles or so and commented that this issue is more prevelant on the 11 models due to the richer calibration they had. He suggested pulling small amount of fuel via my PC in the idle ranges until the reeds loosen up.

Our Riding group has installed 3R's on 8 different sleds, only the 11 SBA and 11 Rush have exhibited the low idle characteristic.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Makes sense, mine seems to be better than first startup with them. I have about 100 miles on now.

Sure has a different sound in the midrange with these reeds and slp intake.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just got off the phone with Steve @ Moto tassanari about the low idle on the 11 SBA I installed the 3R reeds on. Steve says the reed petals are stiff when new and will loosen up in about 100 miles or so and commented that this issue is more prevelant on the 11 models due to the richer calibration they had. He suggested pulling small amount of fuel via my PC in the idle ranges until the reeds loosen up.

Our Riding group has installed 3R's on 8 different sleds, only the 11 SBA and 11 Rush have exhibited the low idle characteristic.

Hey that would be nice if pulling fuel actually made a difference.
-10% at idle and 2% with no change in run ability.
I have 60 ish miles on them.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I may be way off here too, but if you change the throttle plate stop to open more (for attempt at higher idle) it will change the voltage reading at idle to higher unless you readjust the TPS for the new throttle plate location.
Does this mean the 'putor is spitting out fuel-timing for 2% throttle position at idle because of voltage signal (just thinking out loud lol) and then all the way through?
True, it will change the idle reading to a higher voltage but it doesn't matter as that is only a reference for idle. Do not readjust the TPS to bring the idle voltage to what you want. Everything is dependent on the base setting of the TPS. If it isn't set right everything else is out of whack. The only reason the manufacturer shows an idle voltage is so the technician and/or factory can set the idle screw at a point that should achieve a ballpark idle rpm. It can be used as a quick reference for troubleshooting although that can be misleading if someone did not set the base voltage properly. If you change the idle screw to change the idle rpm nothing else changes in the overall operation. It's no different than you physically holding the throttle lever ever so slightly. It does not affect the TPS base voltage setting and that is the most important part. It does not make the fuel delivery and timing different all the way through either.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
True, it will change the idle reading to a higher voltage but it doesn't matter as that is only a reference for idle. Do not readjust the TPS to bring the idle voltage to what you want. Everything is dependent on the base setting of the TPS. If it isn't set right everything else is out of whack. The only reason the manufacturer shows an idle voltage is so the technician and/or factory can set the idle screw at a point that should achieve a ballpark idle rpm. It can be used as a quick reference for troubleshooting although that can be misleading if someone did not set the base voltage properly. If you change the idle screw to change the idle rpm nothing else changes in the overall operation. It's no different than you physically holding the throttle lever ever so slightly. It does not affect the TPS base voltage setting and that is the most important part. It does not make the fuel delivery and timing different all the way through either.

Thats what i was trying to say. :)

The timing map does hunt back and forth with an open throttle plate and makes erratic running.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
OK

SMF, Do you have an air leak? Any more info on what is wrong with the bad ones?
Just wonderin' why yours is not changing anything when you add or subtract fuel.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Wow, I am glad I read this thread. I just purchased these VF3R reeds for my 14 pro, and installed a RKT 858 at the same time. Well I was having the same idling issue. It seemed super rich. Using my bd box, I ended up having to pull like 10% fuel from 2500rpm to get it to idle OK and through the whole map I pulled a ton of fuel to get the sled to run decent. I was blaming it on the 858. Not even thinking the reeds were the issue. Granted I only have 40 miles on the motor/reeds, I am going to pull the reeds and see if it makes a difference. I am so far extremely disappointed in the performance of the motor so far. Barely pulls stock weights and had to pull almost all the fuel out of the map in order to get the AFR right and sled to run decent. Maybe it was just getting choked off by these reeds. I will be removing them and going back to stock. Thanks guys for the info, that is what I love about forums!

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Wow, I am glad I read this thread. I just purchased these VF3R reeds for my 14 pro, and installed a RKT 858 at the same time. Well I was having the same idling issue. It seemed super rich. Using my bd box, I ended up having to pull like 10% fuel from 2500rpm to get it to idle OK and through the whole map I pulled a ton of fuel to get the sled to run decent. I was blaming it on the 858. Not even thinking the reeds were the issue. Granted I only have 40 miles on the motor/reeds, I am going to pull the reeds and see if it makes a difference. I am so far extremely disappointed in the performance of the motor so far. Barely pulls stock weights and had to pull almost all the fuel out of the map in order to get the AFR right and sled to run decent. Maybe it was just getting choked off by these reeds. I will be removing them and going back to stock. Thanks guys for the info, that is what I love about forums!

All the motors having this issue run fine aside from the idle. I built a BMP 860 that wouldn't idle well with the VF3R's but it runs like a raped ape aside from that. We have installed 5 sets and 2 of the sleds idled like ****. But they all ran great. So while these are causing your idle issue, your runability issues are most likely elsewhere. I think I know where to start but I'll leave that off the forums!

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
For reference the 860 I'm referring to is throwing 70 gram belly buster weights to 8500 RPMs but wouldn't quite pull 10-72's at 5k+ elevation. 17% fuel added up top on the map...

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Weird in the differences about the idle. I didn't need to take out as much as some to make it steady. I also don't think I am losing any performance. Maybe even getting better mileage but never check lol.

I wonder,,, I'm shimmed (MNTKT kit) so maybe weaker signal at idle for the reeds. Anyone else?

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Weird in the differences about the idle. I didn't need to take out as much as some to make it steady. I also don't think I am losing any performance. Maybe even getting better mileage but never check lol.

I wonder,,, I'm shimmed (MNTKT kit) so maybe weaker signal at idle for the reeds. Anyone else?

I have rkt rev 2 with shim so it could be something to do with it. I have to pull 8 percent at idle and 4-5 in low mid range sled runs and pulls hard but was a little uncertain as to why the mapping changed from last year but runs great, I'm just glad to hear it's not just mine, makes me feel like it's not another problem to chase down, its the reeds

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Rkt rev 1 (without the shim) and had low idle also after v3 install. Had the idle adjusted and tps set and all is good.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
For reference the 860 I'm referring to is throwing 70 gram belly buster weights to 8500 RPMs but wouldn't quite pull 10-72's at 5k+ elevation. 17% fuel added up top on the map...

What does stock pull for belly busters at that elevation, 66g or 68g?
I was told it that the 858 would pull 6g more than stock. So I tried clutching it for that. Wouldn't pull it, not even close. I am currently running mtx 74g empty(originally had it loaded with 5g but removed) with a slp blue/pink spring and only turning 8100rpm at 3-4K elevation. My wifes 13 pro stock pulls 71g mtx with 2g in the heel stock same rpm at same elevation. This is what chaps me. Sorry for the de-rail.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Reeds

Rkt rev 1 (without the shim) and had low idle also after v3 install. Had the idle adjusted and tps set and all is good.

I have reset tps (was dead on but checked base is at .70 and set idle at .940) with no change at idle would act like the choke was on and slowly die had to pull 8-10 percent fuel to get idle back

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Maybe we should specify year. We installed a set in my buddies '12 along with a MTNTK Fix kit and a PAR head. No idle issues or problems at all.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.

OK. '13 with head too. TPS (always been low here, just worked around it with just a bit of fuel and was told checking with PCV was wrong anyway lol.) base .68, idle .935, wot 4.354 checked with PCV software and 12V battery then confirmed while running to check if 12v battery was any different (wasn't through PCV).
It's never changed with the throttle bodies being removed 4 times now. I thought that was a good thing. Always started with a bit of a high idle ( 1800 ish, thought that was normal and part of the idle voltage importance) then settled down and my fuel tweek would be to make it a steady 1750.

The VR reeds start a bit different now (but easy). Idle cold starts at 1600 ish then ramps up to 1750 (only after I tweeked abit of fuel out).

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
ANYTHING you change on a EFI mtr will change fueling stiffer reed softer reed changes the air flow as simple as that .

Premium Features