• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 M7 Tunnel Update & M seat w/pics

S
Oct 25, 2013
So I bought this sled this past summer and started getting the itch right away to do a little mods. It was in rough shape and needed a lot of work. Once i got into it a little deeper i realized that it was very poorly maintained. I knew this going in and got a great deal on it. Anyways my first project was the loose bumper. Once i removed it i noticed that the bolt holes were ripped and not repairable unless i bought a total new rear tunnel section.

So I decided if i had to do all this work anyways I may as well just update it to the '09 style. Then I dissesembled the bumper and rack removed the cooler and began to make my cuts. I decided to cut and use the '09 tunnel end cap (5606-253) instead of the whole new rear section.

Once i made my inital cut i mounted the end cap

Before riveting it down i had to hammer flat the mounts for the rack to get it as flush as possible. Dont have to be fancy here as its all covered by the new snowflap.
Next i drilled a hole to run the wire for the taillight then i just put a grommet in there to keep it from rubbing the wire shielding.
After that i marked and cut out the 2 holes where the snowflap hooks on to. These hole will be in the way later when you put the cover back over the coolant hoses but were easily notched out with a die grinder.

After all that was done I did a little mock setup. I used the old seat mount holes for the front and had to drill 3 new holes for the back of the front rack mount as they will not be able to go into the old location.

After this it was time for the '09 cooler. mocked this up and drilled holes for this. You can also see where the grommet hole is and where the holes are for the snowflap hooks. These hoses on the new coolers are much sorter. I had a hard time finding 90° hose that will fit. Its really a hard diameter to find. I just used the one off of the old cooler and got a coupling and it seemed to work ok.

I then lined up the bumper at the proper and and cut the rest of the tunnel.

Mounted the bumper and test fit the new seat

Next was the rails and foot gussets. I just used the original rails and bought gussets from an '09 used. There is a lot of grinding and fitting and leaves very little of material left on the gussets once done so you MUST weld them in or they will break.

From the rear with rails and gussets on.

I am very happy with the way it turned out and really excited to try it out. I am still waiting for a few other parts to put the rest of the sled back together so no feed back on how it fuctions "in the field"

Thanks to all the members that answered my questions and supplied the parts!

Parts List:

+'09 Tunnel End cap - 5606-253 - AC dealer
+'09 BDX bumper - used from Snowest forum member
+'09 Snow flap - 5606-525 - used from Kijiji
+'09 LED tail light - 0609-863 - used from Snowest forum member
+'09 Cooler - 4706-176 - used from Kijiji
+'09 Foot gussets - 5606-594/5606-595 - used from Kijiji
'10 M Seat - 7800-657 - used from HSC forum member

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Looks good! Is there a reason you mounted the BDX bumper upside down? Just curious, I have never thought to do one that way.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I just did a similar update to my sled. I did a 141 to 153 extension. I used a 09 green M8 bumper and cut my stock rear bumper to make it fit. came out pretty good.
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THE 2009 GUSSETS ON A 05 OR 06 SLED.
You have to do a ton of grinding, and like said, unless you get them welded they are not going to hold. AMP makes gussets that will fit, 100$, it will save you some troubles...

S
Oct 25, 2013
I just did a similar update to my sled. I did a 141 to 153 extension. I used a 09 green M8 bumper and cut my stock rear bumper to make it fit. came out pretty good.
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THE 2009 GUSSETS ON A 05 OR 06 SLED.
You have to do a ton of grinding, and like said, unless you get them welded they are not going to hold. AMP makes gussets that will fit, 100$, it will save you some troubles...

Yea there is a lot of grinding and not much left on there but i got them for real cheap and took the risk. But properly welded they should be ok.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
m7_zps2bd7f4cf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You can see how i did it

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Shanerocks,
What did you use for a coupling on the coolant hoses?

I have a set of BDX tunnel rail gussets for '05-'07 Ms if anyone is looking for some. I sold my '07 before I got around to doing the tunnel mod. PM if interested.

S
Oct 25, 2013
Looks good! Is there a reason you mounted the BDX bumper upside down? Just curious, I have never thought to do one that way.
Thanks, yea the other way looked unfinished the way the metal is rolled. Just personal preference really.
Shanerocks,
What did you use for a coupling on the coolant hoses?
I believe it was just a pvc 3/4" coupling from any hardware store. its a tight fit but it works. You could also use a brass one too.

Premium Features