• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vforce 3 reeds diagnosis?

I have put vf3 reeds in a 800 assult. The idle has dropped off or gotten lower over a short bit of running. I'm thinking maybe a pedal broke or just is not sealing well, if a reed has problems does the spark plug color for that cylinder usually go darker or lighter? New spark plugs from the time of the reed instalation look different.
I am thinking of basic tests to sort it out, perhaps a heat gun reading on each side of the y pipe could indicate a starting point?
I tryed new spark plugs - no improvement
I will get a compression tester on it this weekend but it was equal at 120lbs right after the build with new cylinder and Pistons.
On the first short ride the temps stayed within a few degrees of the other polaris800 following along doing same things.
I notice the idle is low but other than that it's not heating up or bogging so I thought I would ask for ideas to try before I dig in and check the TPS
I wish I had a leek down tester at this point it may help point out out a problem

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Do a forum search on this. I believe a low idle is typical of the V-force reeds and it's been discussed before. You may just need to adjust your tps. A broken reed or unseated reed will typically make your sled idle high or hard starting or low end bogging.

K
Nov 10, 2017
I have read that some people who put in vforce reeds can have low idle effects but seem to go away after 100 km or so as they wear in. It wouldn't hurt to check your Tps voltage, just make sure to put silicone on the pinholes from back probing the sensor to keep any moisture out when your finished.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
I pulled all conections and put them back together and its idling and running well now so maybe them reeds have seated or a conection sucked. Anyways we need a bit more snow then it's test time, thanks for the ideas guys
Just disconnected everything and reconnected? Thinking of going that way too many dielectric grease everything having a similar low idle issue... With vforce's. Can't find the thread about them.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Ya we put the sled in a heated shop a few days to dry it out , also pulled the injectors to make sure o rings where on right not torn, siphoned out last years fuel and put new fuel. And un did and recoupled all the conections .when we restarted the sled the ldle was good and we were happy. We rode yesterday at Boston barr the sled started and idled well And rode good until the cabin but after sitting a few hrs the restart sucked it was back to its slow idle, it turned on good when it was needed but that low idle is back.
The sled now has about 25 miles on the reeds but after 100 or so I will throw in stock reeds or check out the TPS
I been thinking about if it got wet causing the low idle ? It would be interesting to start the wood stove bring it inside the shop and open the side panels , then come next weekend see if it's back to a good idle.
We rode Saturday, Sunday mourning the idle was still low I don't imagine it's going to fix its self fo next Saturday's ride

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
How do your plugs look now after 25 mi? Did you ever recheck your compression or test with a temp gun? I can't believe the reeds would cause an intermittent problem. If messing with the wires cured it temporarily, I would focus there. You also opened your fuel tank & drained the fuel before the temporary cure, maybe a bad check valve on the tank vent or something related to fuel pressure?

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Are your old reeds in good enough shape to put back in the sled? My old reeds are had so that's not hapening here.
Are all vf3 reeds for pro/assult 800 the same or is their an updated new improved model?
My old reeds are no good too haha. I don't know about the model of them, but I've attached a picture of the ones I have.
05d3a22912d6e0ec041a58d9f0114457.jpg

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
How do your plugs look now after 25 mi? Did you ever recheck your compression or test with a temp gun? I can't believe the reeds would cause an intermittent problem. If messing with the wires cured it temporarily, I would focus there. You also opened your fuel tank & drained the fuel before the temporary cure, maybe a bad check valve on the tank vent or something related to fuel pressure?
my plugs looked good and I just installed new plugs as well. Re checked compression on mine yesterday 120 psi per cyl cold. I haven't touched wires but it seemed to help peaceofwork so think I'm gonna go over all mine tonight as well.

The plugs look good not lean not rich and a bright blue spark - new plugs made no difference.
Fresh built never run motor oiled up made 120 lbs comp at sea level, after the first days 10 mile ride and at about 500 feet above sea level I was geting 116 both sides on a cold motor.
I bought a temp gun took it a 21/2 hr drive up to the sled to find out it did not work at all -damit , I have exchanged it and tested the new one so this Saturday I can check temps. Having said that 3 similar machines are all running within a few * of each other all day .
I'm doing my best with looking over wires for rub marks and handling them nicely no sharp bending or tugging on them, used dielectric grease.
Valid point about cracking the fuel cap when it acts up. The fuel pump is not making unusual noises or chattering compared to the other machines.
I will try unplugging the blow hole electrical conection and cracking the fuel cap right away as soon as the idle goes for crap again.
It's a little difficult when the sled lives up country a 21/2 hr drive from my home

Moto Tass... admit their vf3 is very stif and the vf3R is less stiff and may still take possibly a few rides to break in and get to having a better idle
It's very nice that they offer me to mail them the reeds and they will replace the reed pedals for me with the newer style thinner ones free.
To avoid a couple weeks of shipping/down time in riding season I ordered some boyesen replacement petals for the stock cages , no big deal really because it's probably time to replace my 12 pro reeds , the 11 assault gets a confirmation test trying out other reeds instead of the vf3.
Are the boyesen reeds working good for you guys on your sleds?

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
My 3r's went through a phase of off and on low idle. Especially when sled was cold. I must've checked the tps like 5 times and it was always at spec. After the last ride I went on it seemed to have stopped. Im assuming it's a part of the break in period.

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
My 3r's went through a phase of off and on low idle. Especially when sled was cold. I must've checked the tps like 5 times and it was always at spec. After the last ride I went on it seemed to have stopped. Im assuming it's a part of the break in period.
How many rides/miles they take to "break in" gonna run mine a while longer and see what happens.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
How many rides/miles they take to "break in" gonna run mine a while longer and see what happens.

I couldn't even get mine to stay running when I first put them in. slp and fastrax mentioned a break in of between 100 to 200 miles. My first ride (really a tuning ride), it wouldn't idle at all, second ride it wouldn't idle cold and randomly would idle low for no apparent reason, 3rd ride same symptoms as second ride but about halfway through it completely quit acting up. So about a 100 miles so far and it will idle cold now but still at -18(fuel) @ 0 percent throttle. Nobody mentioned any of this when I bought them and was a little irritated because I originally wanted stock ones and got talked out of it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Premium Features