• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

More boost from boondocker side kick axys

pappabruce

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2011
Was talking with boondocker today and was informed they have a switch to increase your base boost pressure by 2lbs. It connects to the unused two prong connector on the side kick box, and can still run pump gas at elevations above 5000'. It is not advertised on their website, and is $29.99. Needless to say I have one coming!

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Was talking with boondocker today and was informed they have a switch to increase your base boost pressure by 2lbs. It connects to the unused two prong connector on the side kick box, and can still run pump gas at elevations above 5000'. It is not advertised on their website, and is $29.99. Needless to say I have one coming!

So why isn't it set like that to begin with? Why wouldn't the EBC adjust for the elevation? So would be almost 9psi on pump gas without IC? Just sounds kinda fishy to me, interested to see how it turns out keep us posted

pappabruce

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2011
So why isn't it set like that to begin with? Why wouldn't the EBC adjust for the elevation? So would be almost 9psi on pump gas without IC? Just sounds kinda fishy to me, interested to see how it turns out keep us posted

They told me not to use the higher boost until engine is completely broke in, and I suppose (just assuming) but the kit was designed to run pump gas at all elevations and this increase in boost they said only use at above 5000' or you will have mix race gas to use below 5000' so it allows the user to have control of that. And the ebc dose adjust for elevation this switch just sets the base boost pressure a little higher. And I hear ya, I'm not a turbo genius but 9psi on pump gas and no inter cooler dose sound like a little to much, but for 30 bucks I'm going to try it and see what happens. Worst case is I I just won't be able to use it and out 30 bucks.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
They told me not to use the higher boost until engine is completely broke in, and I suppose (just assuming) but the kit was designed to run pump gas at all elevations and this increase in boost they said only use at above 5000' or you will have mix race gas to use below 5000' so it allows the user to have control of that. And the ebc dose adjust for elevation this switch just sets the base boost pressure a little higher. And I hear ya, I'm not a turbo genius but 9psi on pump gas and no inter cooler dose sound like a little to much, but for 30 bucks I'm going to try it and see what happens. Worst case is I I just won't be able to use it and out 30 bucks.

$30 to try.
$200 in pistons to get the results. LOL

In all seriousness, PLEASE report back on what you find. Interested to hear.

Hitman450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2010
Belle Fourche, S.D
I just installed my new sidekick pump gas kit on my new axys. I've put a couple hundred miles on it bone stock. I also got the push to pass toggle switch installed on my sled during install. It has two modes. Normal boost and then 2 more pounds. You can definately notice a difference with the switch. I also received a adjustable wastegate on my kit. Should be a riot.

C
Jan 2, 2018
2lb switch boondocker sidekick

I was curious to so I emailed boondocker only available for the st control box not the sidekick

Just want to let everyone know I ordered my switch about a month or so ago and installed it and it does make a difference no problems so far best $30 I've spent :eyebrows:

S
Jul 30, 2015
Calgary, AB
Just want to let everyone know I ordered my switch about a month or so ago and installed it and it does make a difference no problems so far best $30 I've spent :eyebrows:

Interesting to hear it also works on the basekit. I know on the ST box you can use it and also program how much extra it delivers.. ex 1 or 2lbs.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
What changes

This is good to hear. I have the 2016 sidekick and gonna get the box updated with a new flash. So when you use this Flip Switch what does it actually change? Does it increase boost? What do the gains come from and are you still happy that you did it? Also, what elevation do you ride at? I ride at 8,500-10,000

pappabruce

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2011
I’ve had my switch for 2 seasons now and really don’t use it, yes it does work, it adds extra 2lbs and a lot of extra power. The problem I have with it and was kind of expecting it is that it’s not a quick flip the switch when you want extra power, you need to decide yes on all the time or no. The clutching setup for the switch off is not enough for when you flip it on, mine will just bounce off the rev limiter when switch is on at wot with a clutching setup for the switch off.

I never tried setting up clutches for the extra power and seeing how that worked when switch is off. Prolly be low on rpm. But hey maybe I’ll try it.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
I’ve had my switch for 2 seasons now and really don’t use it, yes it does work, it adds extra 2lbs and a lot of extra power. The problem I have with it and was kind of expecting it is that it’s not a quick flip the switch when you want extra power, you need to decide yes on all the time or no. The clutching setup for the switch off is not enough for when you flip it on, mine will just bounce off the rev limiter when switch is on at wot with a clutching setup for the switch off.

I never tried setting up clutches for the extra power and seeing how that worked when switch is off. Prolly be low on rpm. But hey maybe I’ll try it.

I figured there would be a potential issue with the clutching not being right. It sounds like an "on all the time" or not.

Thanks for the input

C
Jan 2, 2018
Anyone have any longer term reviews of the switch? Are they still making it?
I'm running it at it makes a big difference only issue I've had is if your at lower elevations /5000 ft and your treating her mean it will throw a set code but I put a gallon of 114 vp in and no more problems just a bigger smile

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I just put one on my sled. Pretty happy with it. I was running straight 91 pump gas before and have been running 2 gal of 110 with the extra 2lbs boost. This is not for all sidekick kits. Will not work on any 2018 kit. If you wanna make sure your sidekick control box has the extra boost program in it you need to call BD and give them the number on your control box. The 2018 controller only has a program to add a little extra fuel if you are detonating with pump gas, no extra boost. At least that’s what they told me when I called and bought my 2lb boost part.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Just so you guys know once you feel that extra power you will never forget it. good luck turning the switch off hahaha

Premium Features