• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunnel Bag choices

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Looking at getting a new tunnel bag for my 17. I have used a Burandt bag for years. Thinking of going to a BCA mountain pro bag. A buddy uses a mounted Pelican case with just the foam on the bottom and light layer on the top. What has everyone been using that you like/dislike?

Thanks for the input in advance.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have had great luck with the Sled Solutions Tunnel bags on the last two sleds. Lots of sizes and models to get just what you need in a bag. I also started running their underseat bag on my RMK and the amount of storage in that is impressive.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Ive Been running a skinz bag that is basically just a roll up dry bag. works good, but something with a little more compartments would be nice to help sort things out. I do really like having a bag that varies in size based on my needs though.

751_SPG_Powder_Pak_4.jpg

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
One of my boys has the Polaris tunnel bag avove and the other boy has a motorcycle dry bag similar to the dry bag above and both are very good at keeping things dry and accessable. I have a Seahorse watertite container with the layered foam inserts cut out to hold the necessary items for me and I rarely open it as I cary lunch and water and daily items in my backpack along with my shovel and saw with the bungee on the gas can rack as I never have to cary extra gas as we rarely go over the 100 mile mark between trailer stops for gas.
gtwitch in wyoming

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I have the hard shell Burandt Polaris tunnel bag ( Larger one) on my 16 163- That I snowchecked- While it is a good bag- it just not deep enough for the things I like to pack- With that said I don't use it anylonger sits on the shelf in the shop.
- I have been using the BCA tunnel bag all last season- and they are prone to sweating or seeping water..Anyhoo they get the inside contents damp that I don't really care for- and have to remove it every ride to bring it in
( or the contents) to dry out . Trying to get them (BCA) to cover it under warranty is like banging your head against the wall....:frusty::frusty:
I won't run a BCA product again- There is a thread on the BCA bags somewhere on here... not a lot of positive... IMHO.
The Burnadt soft bag ( think it came out in 2015) seems to be the best bag as far a keeping things dry and able to pack some serious survival stuff and a extra shovel.... ( I keep one on my back also)

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Thank you for all of the input. I will probably steer clear of the BCA bag now and look at some of the options you guys have presented. I'll do a little research on each and see what other info comes up from this thread.

K
Oct 25, 2015
I have the bca mtn on one axys and mountain addiction on the other.
MTN addiction
-waterproof
-shovel storage works good at the start but eventually the elastic stretches. ended up dinging up my tunnel when handle came loose
BCA
-not waterproof nor do they claim to be the waterproof bag kept dry although
-Priced 1/2 the price im okay with drying the bag after a weekend of riding

Depends what other storage you have on your sled i keep survival gear in avy pack and food drinks in underseat

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
I went with a pelican case last year. It keeps things dry, seems to be bomb proof and costs half of what most tunnel bags do.

What size pelican case did you use and how did you end up mounting it? I was looking at them but without seeing them in person it is hard to judge the size.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Ditto on the Pelican case or Seahorse as they are very similar ! Look on Amazon and the sizes are there. My Seahorse is 14.5 X 12 X 8 (approximate) and holds plenty and says it is virtually watertite sealed and mine took on no miosture last season. I mounted it on the chassis t rails and raised it up on 1" Square tube (actually used extruded T slot framing) I got from Orange Aluminum on line) This leaves room or space under the box for air and snow which aids in cooling. I also put a .060 plate across from t rail on each side as a floor under the Seahorse case which made it more sturdy and also enhanced the cooling issue effectiveness. It added about 6 lbs (I know, yes I know but my back pack weighs 14 - 18 lbs depending on the day)
gtwitch in wyoming

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
This is the tunnel storage i use.
Super happy with it. Looks Great - Keeps everything nice and dry.

I use the small version of this. Do you ever lose the lockdowns? I have lost a few this season but I'm thinking it's just operator error. I've learned to travel with some spare parts as well.

I do need to ensure it dries out though. I forgot about mine for a few days and I saw a little mold starting to form. Quick spray of bleach took care of it.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I use the small version of this. Do you ever lose the lockdowns? I have lost a few this season but I'm thinking it's just operator error. I've learned to travel with some spare parts as well.

I do need to ensure it dries out though. I forgot about mine for a few days and I saw a little mold starting to form. Quick spray of bleach took care of it.

No i have never lost any of the lockdowns . . . assuming you mean the ones that attach the bag to the tunnel. You just have to make sure they are turned correctly and fully engaged in the groove and they are golden. This bag never leaks and i have yet to see any water inside it. Love how it sheds the snow and is low profile. Those tall cases and bags get in the way hopping from side to side . . .based on my experience.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
The struggle continues...

Bags I've run:

SPG Powder Pak: The thing is a sponge. None of the stitching is water proof. After a day of riding you can literally turn in upside down and wring the water out of it. Only one big pocket and no outside place for anything.

Burandt Bag: (Pro Chassis) What a piece of crap. If it didn't fall off the sled from the fasteners releasing themselves, it would flop around and damage stuff. Had to use bungee cords to keep the thing on the sled. Not even close to waterproof.

Holeshot QR Tunnel Bag: Meh. Didn't last very long. Fabric got frayed quickly. Tools in the pockets put holes in the bag. The stretchy mounting straps mean it's always moving/bouncing around. Not waterproof at all.

Giant Loop Revelstoke Bag: This has been my bag for the last two seasons. Actually, I've had two as I put a very small hole in the first one at some point last season. It is what it is: A heavy duty dry bag that has straps for tying it down. I try not to go into my tunnel bag much, so I really just want a place for my extra dry layers and goggles to stay dry and this does the job. Getting in and out of the bag during the day isn't the easiest/quickest operation. I organize my gear into smaller bags inside. It's light and simple with no zippers to fail. The strap loops the bag comes with suck to deal with when the straps are frozen and your hands are cold, however the Giant Loop 'Footmans Loop Anchor Kit' is easily adapted to the track on the Polaris and works really well. I just ran the straps through the loops and cinched them down. Never lost the bag. It's nice that the bag changes size to accommodate different size loads. There are external loops for tying gear to the outside of the bag.

The wife has been through all the same bags with the same luck. She hates the roll top Giant Loop bag as she gets in and out of her tunnel bag a lot more than I do. Last year she ran the large Mtn. Addiction bag and really liked that. However, she did have one zipper failure that they repaired at no charge.

For this season I think I'm going the Pelican case route. They're tough, waterproof, easy to access, have no zippers to fail, have no fabric to puncture, have no buckles to freeze, have no straps to deal with, and they are cheap.

Premium Features