• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for more info on Shot start

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Sorry I do not know the answer to that question.

Thanks Dave.
Hopefully someone will have a idea at the sneak peek show. Our local one is this coming weekend.
If not. If possible is there someone you could ask? Or point me in the right direction of someone that would know?

Cheers

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
An AC adapter or a dc adapter that could charge the shot , would be a nice option if you parked it at the cabin overnight .

B
Feb 18, 2009
I wonder what the weight advantage of SHOT is over the G4 e-start with a light weight battery (i.e. earthx)

I'm willing to bet it's within 5 lbs ..

I love the idea of not having a starter motor ... but why didn't they use a light weight battery instead of the capacitor (probably with no weight penalty) and there would be no need for pull starting .. ever :juggle:

I believe it's more like 10 lbs. Remember Shot eliminates the starter motor. The reason they didn't use light wieght batteries is likely be cause of cost and burst energy while caps will be much higher..

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Assuming the Doo standard starter system weighs similar to the Poo, it would be about 30 lbs. The Doo battery I have weighs 14.5 lbs. The Ultra-capacitor we use weighs 2.5 lbs. And I heard the Shot adds 2.5 lbs over pull start only.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Capacitor

Capacitors will surface discharge into the air - even not hooked up to a load. They hold electricity directly, not the chemical reaction to make electricity (lead-acid) like a battery.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
How many consecutive starts can you do with the shot system?

Like barcode is doing in this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zc6nDQ1MQEk

we did 11 in jackson with the demo, it was a warm day and sled was warmed up. you would never do this though. You hold the button till it cranks over so it is not like e-start where you hit the button and sometimes it does not fully light up, then you hit the button again and it goes, that does not happen with shot.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
With 850 e-start, you have only the starter and battery. Starter mounts to motor. Compared to poo, no added primary ring gear and the heavy steel poo bat box and frame are eliminated, starter is smaller. One heavy kit on a poo. If you want to not pull start an 850 cold at the lightest weight, a LiPo with e-start on the 850 is the best option.

Shot has to start the motor within a 1/3 revolution or so from my understanding. This would be difficult on a cold start, so charging the cap externally may not be an option. If it was, with a LiPo jump pack through a port, you could possibly be able to cold start in a trailer (or anywhere if the carried the jump pack with you). I'd guess this will evolve more, tho.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Who cares, if your not man enough to start it with a rope each morning, you are not man enough to ride it. My wife on the other hand can't seem to pull the rope fast enough to fire up her sled. For her e-start is nice.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
we did 11 in jackson with the demo, it was a warm day and sled was warmed up. you would never do this though. You hold the button till it cranks over so it is not like e-start where you hit the button and sometimes it does not fully light up, then you hit the button again and it goes, that does not happen with shot.

Thats pretty awesome Dave. Just goes to show you how little energy the new 850 takes to start. On our 13 Xm with estart it looks like the actual starter motor pulls much more energy than it does to just turn the crank 1/3 turn.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Who cares, if your not man enough to start it with a rope each morning, you are not man enough to ride it. My wife on the other hand can't seem to pull the rope fast enough to fire up her sled. For her e-start is nice.

I have a bad right shoulder but can ride the hell of of my sled. According to you I'm not man enough but sounds like you are too stupid too see beyond your limited IQ! Idiot!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012

Didn't riders in the "old days" say that reverse wasn't needed and you should be "man enough" to pick up the rear of the sled and turn it around?

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I am surprised that BRP didn't offer a capacitor charger for overnight to avoid the first pull. Barcode was using an RC battery to do this which obviously works. Maybe a MY2019 option ha ha.

It does raise some interesting options. Since the super capacitor can be charged to 16 volts, you could charge it to the max so when you hit the start button, your starter/magneto would probably receive 14 - 15 volts (after cable losses) which would allow the engine to turn over fast, thus improving your chances for a start the first time....

My guess is you will see some variants of this technology on all sleds before too long.

Very cool

OTM

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
With 850 e-start, you have only the starter and battery. Starter mounts to motor. Compared to poo, no added primary ring gear and the heavy steel poo bat box and frame are eliminated, starter is smaller. One heavy kit on a poo. If you want to not pull start an 850 cold at the lightest weight, a LiPo with e-start on the 850 is the best option.

Sounds good in theory but each 850 motor is burdened with extra parts and weight whether it has e-start or not. I don't buy my sleds with it so I'd rather not have the extra but that's IMO

Premium Features