• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High elevation hesitation

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Out in the Twin Lakes,CO area for a week to ride with friends & all three RMK's running like chit from idle to around 5,800. Two are 16's & one 17. Elevation is 10,500 to over 12. Higher up you get the worse the low end hesitation/bog gets. If you need to stop then get back on the throttle sometimes they just have no power for second or two then it kicks in. Plus they just sound terrible like the mapping for that elevation is all wrong. The 2012 Pro in our group is having no issues like our Axys sleds. Plugs are new, belt deflection good, air intakes clear, relays good as power valves working, clutching seems good as all sleds hitting 8,300.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Could be a few different issues. The symptoms your describing could be coming from different things.

Are any or all of the sleds out of the break-in period?

Have you checked the throttle cable free play adjustment?

Do any of them have aftermarket silencers on them?

Eric

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
All out of break in. Throttle free play is good. Run the same with stock can or SLP/Diamond S.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Any chance the TPS has been checked / set on these sleds?

You could also try and put them in ETH fuel mode to see if that extra fuel helps the bottom end response. Eric

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Been having the same issues as well as some others. Take it to the dealer, have them reflash, relearn exhaust valves, replace relays, and make sure tps/idle setting are in spec (manually not just with the polaris wrench tool). Good luck

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Any chance the TPS has been checked / set on these sleds?

You could also try and put them in ETH fuel mode to see if that extra fuel helps the bottom end response. Eric

None have have had TPS adjustment. Going to do that today & see if it helps. Odd that the run fine at sea level.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm having an issue that I believe is the valves sticking. I think this is the case because it varies throughout the day. Can you tell if the valves are sticking? Usually this is a case where you don't hear the sled get loud and open up. I hope that is all it is. Bad news is cleaning the valves looks like a biotch as you have to remove the steering post/column.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Completed TPS adjustment on all three sled today. The 17 was way off, no wonder why it wouldn't idle. The two 16's were close. All three you can clearly hear the power valves open up on the top end. Have heard the Axys engine likes to be loaded so wondering if the 10-58's are just too light for the bottom end? 10-60's are just too heavy at this elevation. Maybe try someone's clutch kit?

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
Completed TPS adjustment on all three sled today. The 17 was way off, no wonder why it wouldn't idle. The two 16's were close. All three you can clearly hear the power valves open up on the top end. Have heard the Axys engine likes to be loaded so wondering if the 10-58's are just too light for the bottom end? 10-60's are just too heavy at this elevation. Maybe try someone's clutch kit?

10-58 is spot on for that elevation and riding area. Ran them all last year and this prior to turbo.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Did setting the TPS to spec fix any of the issues? Eric

The 17 ran spot on today! The two 16's still ran poor. At times my power valves would stop working. Scary when on a big climb. Replacing relays tonight. Dealer in Breckinridge said try 10-60's or 62's. the primary is grabbing the belt to fast with the 58's & causing the bog/hesitation. Going try 62's & ride Crested Butte tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll run it as is & get a 2018 Doo 850 as had one in our group & it ran perfect. I'm getting tired of the BS running/wiring issues on these Axys

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The 17 ran spot on today! The two 16's still ran poor. At times my power valves would stop working. Scary when on a big climb. Replacing relays tonight. Dealer in Breckinridge said try 10-60's or 62's. the primary is grabbing the belt to fast with the 58's & causing the bog/hesitation. Going try 62's & ride Crested Butte tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll run it as is & get a 2018 Doo 850 as had one in our group & it ran perfect. I'm getting tired of the BS running/wiring issues on these Axys

Well thats good you fixed one! Good luck with the 16's, I kind of recall some power valve issues last year, and not just the power relay. Eric

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I had the same issue a couple weeks ago up at elevation. It wouldn't idle, or go in reverse (because of low idle). Reset the TPS to Eric suggested and runs great. Frustrating. Marquette Power sports service said they are seeing a lot of them. One of their techs does it a lot (resetting TPS) and even liked Eric's write up. However Polaris is not covering this time even if you have an extended warranty dealer said. They charge a flat $100 here. Any thoughts? I think its time for a service bulletin from Polaris to the dealers and if so many are off they should cover it. BTW, mine ran fine at lower elevation.

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
With 62s you will be leaving a lot of RPMs and HP on the table. Try 60s but even 60s most likely won't hit 8300/8400.
I don't see how the 58s would cause a bog though...

If it's really that bad, Alpine Motorspsorts/VOHK is just about 45 minutes away from Breckenridge and I'm sure can help you get squared away. Plus great riding that direction.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
With 62s you will be leaving a lot of RPMs and HP on the table. Try 60s but even 60s most likely won't hit 8300/8400.
I don't see how the 58s would cause a bog though...

If it's really that bad, Alpine Motorspsorts/VOHK is just about 45 minutes away from Breckenridge and I'm sure can help you get squared away. Plus great riding that direction.

Was in hood deep powder today & sled ran much better with new relays. Little bogg on bottom end but not like other days. Still need to slow down the primary engagement somehow as believe that's causing the bogg from a dead stop. I ran 10-58's still & would pull to 8,300. Other 16 ran 10-62's & it sounded better on bottom end but felt soft up top. I really loved the sled today. Maybe a clutch kit from Vohk is in order.

Last edited:
J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
Was in hood deep powder today & sled ran much better with new relays. Little bogg on bottom end but not like other days. Still need to slow down the primary engagement somehow as believe that's causing the bogg from a dead stop. I ran 10-58's still & would pull to 8,300. Other 16 ran 10-62's & it sounded better on bottom end but felt soft up top. I really loved the sled today. Maybe a clutch kit from Vohk is in order.

After more thinking... have you checked your primary spring? A broken spring will engage lower and quicker but still do decent up high. Not sure if you pull the cover or not to change your weights but a broken primary mat only be seen with cover pulled.
Also are you comparing sleds that have same spring up too?

Last edited:

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
After more thinking... have you checked your primary spring? A broken spring will engage lower and quicker but still do decent up high. Not sure if you pull the cover or not to change your weights but a broken primary mat only be seen with cover pulled.
Also are you comparing sleds that have same spring up too?

Yes we pull the cover to do weights. Both 16's run same black primary spring & we checked to make sure it was not broken.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
We'll never figured this out & now back at sea leve. I'm going to replace the primary spring just in case. Going get the dealer to check operation of PV's also as not sure they are operating correctly.

Side note I got to ride a G4 Summit X 153, not for me so I really want get my AXYS running right before heading back out west next month.

J
Dec 20, 2016
I am having the same sort of problem. The deeper the snow the more bog. Rode one 2 foot plus day and it was hard to get the sled to rev up after stoping. It only happens after I stop. Once it revseems up it goes.
I have a slp can clutch weights and spring. For over 10,000 feet.

Premium Features