• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 m6 bad bog

M
Dec 10, 2007
michigan
I just picked up a cheap 06' m6 and has a very bad bog. It starts on the first pull, idles perfect and runs good at 10-15 mph up to about 5000 rpms anything more than that it just bogs out. I can barely get it up to 6000 rpms on a stand. The thing i have done so far is drained the old gas and put in fresh with seafoam, checked the reeds, unplugged the throttle safety, checked servo with 12vdc to make sure it moved, made sure the power valves move freely and proper adjustment, checked wire continuity between the servo and ecu and briefly checked wires and connectors. Anyone seen this before? Also the previous owner plugged the pipe sensor hole and zip tied the pipe sensor to the fuel rail.

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Pull your belt off and see if she revs with out any clutches involved. You could install a inline fuel pressure gauge between the pump outlet and the fuel rail inlet and check that as well.

JoeySlushr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
LeCenter, MN
What do the plugs look like? Does it black smoke while you hold it wide open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Dec 10, 2007
michigan
What do the plugs look like? Does it black smoke while you hold it wide open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plugs are grayish and a liitle wet, the plug threads are really oily. the sled smokes really bad, the exhaust outlet is oily. Took the belt off and no change. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge yet but how would the pressure change over time? I did try pinching the fuel line to reduce flow, no change. The sled runs good and snappy from 10-20mph 4000-5000rpms then it bogs bad after that, can barely get to 6000rpms wide open.

M
Dec 10, 2007
michigan
So i adjusted the oil pump rod 4 turn longer, took it for a ride and eventually started to hit 8000rpms a couple times till it ran out of gas. Filled it up 5hrs later and runs like **** again. Seems like it dropping a cylinder when i stab it, bad coil? stator?:frusty::frusty:

mikeshams

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2014
Ontonagon mi
A slight grey color is usually piston damage,if u don't see anything wrong with the top of the piston (pencil size hole or dishing) it's possible the ring land on exhaust side of piston could be damaged, as already posted check clutches over with a fine tooth comb, cam arms binding,broke spring. Best of luck and happy holidays

M
Dec 10, 2007
michigan
compression and pistons checked and good. It runs on 2 cylinders and normal and snappy at low speeds, as soon as i give it anymore it sounds like its on 1 cylinder and bogs. Earlier in the day it started to rip good a couple times then i ran out of gas, now its crap again. Iam leaning towards electrical, at one time my oil light was also flickering. keep throwing out ideas

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Very interested to see what this ends up being. I sold a 06 m7 to a guy and he's having the EXACT issue. And as far as I know. He hasnt figured it out yet.

Last edited:

JoeySlushr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
LeCenter, MN
Are you sure the reeds are good? How did you check them? I had a similar problem with mine that I chased for quite a while and ended up being a reed split the long way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

O

orange 1

Oct 31, 2009
Grande Prairie A.B.
back to the power valve cables, double check that they are in the correct location on the cable drum, over the years I have seen several machines with the cable hooked up to the wrong holes in the drum, and the power valves can't cycle.

M
Dec 10, 2007
michigan
back to the power valve cables, double check that they are in the correct location on the cable drum, over the years I have seen several machines with the cable hooked up to the wrong holes in the drum, and the power valves can't cycle.

I'll check them again. I can't get enough rpms to see the motor cycle, i can get more rpms driving it than on a stand.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
Do hand warmers work? I had a 2007 600 that would start and idle perfectly and run great at low throttle but hand warmers were iffy. Would not rev past 6000 and would not open power valves. Bought a new stator and problem solved. Not convinced and put old one back in, same problem. Put new one back in and all was well. That was six years ago and that sled still rips today

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
I fought similar issues last year and the end of the previous year. First chased clutching and then electrical. Ended up being a busted piston ring. Showed good on compression but just wouldn't fire all the time. Well worth pulling the y pipe to take a look.

M
Dec 10, 2007
michigan
pistons and rings look good thru the y-pipe. It seems like the more i screw around with the plug caps it gets better for a few blips, a few 7500 readings. The more i ride it the more it seems like it looses spark at higher rpms, like an electrical cut out, yesterday it hit max a few times.

Premium Features